Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Brake lights?

Ok, so next week I'll have all new tail lights and I want to do something different. Thy are all going to be led for one. But my question is, there's no reason why I couldnt do a little wire work and make the trunk lights the brake light is there? Or even make all 4 to come on wih the brakes? I think that would be sweet.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
I've wanted to make the tail lights in the trunk tails and brakes. Don't know where to get 3157 sockets that will fit
Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorello82 View Post
I've wanted to make the tail lights in the trunk tails and brakes. Don't know where to get 3157 sockets that will fit

Yeah I actually was thinking the same thing. All of the tail lights lighting up. It would probably look better.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
I thought so. Now where do I find the brake light sockets without paying through the teeth?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
Takes a old speaker cable and 5 minutes to get all tail lights to work as brake lights. No 'sockets' required. Tim has done it and can provide more detailed instructions.
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Ya, all you have to do is cut the wire over to them. I'll get some pics next week when I do it. Glad to know I'm not the only who bough it'd be cool
Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I know there is a how to on here.

It's an old one, but the search button will still pick it up

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
When I did my third brake light I rewired mine to function as brake lights only. Shouldn't be difficult...after some time though I prefere the lights on the trunk to not light up at all.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I know there is a how to on here.

It's an old one, but the search button will still pick it up

I think i found it

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ht=Brake+light

Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

thanks, i had heard stuff about it mentioned before but couldnt find anything.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
literally took me about 10 minutes... I used 8ga wire cuz that was the smallest I had around, shoved it in the empty hole on the inner tail light, spliced the blue wire for the 3rd brake light and i was done... it slips every once in a while, so I am on the hunt for actual outer tail light brackets... should be getting some shipped as soon as pay pal co-operates

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

One thing I was thinking of doing was converting the outer tail brake lights into turn signals while keeping their functionality as brake lights.. Not sure if I would like it though.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #13
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Hmmm! I like that. I think I might do all the trunk for brake lights then the outside for turn sigs. The just black out the amber and not use it. Does anyone see any potential problems with that idea? O.o
Old 11-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #14
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
Oh the wonders of the tail lights

I've thought of many, MANY things to do to mine, and having the outers run as the turns seems like a decent idea, mainly since they are both 3x57 base. I don't believe the turn signals (spliced in) would work in accordance to the outer brake lights tho since, if you hit the brake, they brighten up, and the alternating current from the turn signal might not disrupt the constant feed from the brake.
Plus you wouldn't want double the juice running to one bulb. That would just burn out immediately.
Although, if you wanted to splice the turn signal wiring and run it in-line with the inner tails, that would mostly likely work.

But back to the original plan, in order for this to work, I would:

1) Plug the turn-signal wiring into the outer brake-light housing. Idk why that wouldn't work properly, but that's the easiest thing I can think of.

2) Pull the outer brake-light wiring back into the car and somehow run an extension splice up through the wire loom (connected to swing arm for trunk) and plug that into the inner brake-light housing, so that would act as the dual-flashing brake-light.

As for what happens to the inner-brake light wiring, I'm not too sure about that one, since you can't just simply take the bulb out and let the wire hang, because the car will yell at you and say there is a light out. I guess you could splice in an LED strip somewhere and stick it somewhere, keeping in mind it will only light up when the headlights are on.

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

This is what I would do:

Get a 3157 socket base for the inner and wire the new 3rd wire to the outer's brake light. Then remove the night running light wire from the outer and splice in the turn signals.

It probably would be best to heat shrink the end of the night time running light too because it still will be hot when your night time running lights are active.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

iv had my inner trunck bulbs pulled for some time. its the outer ones that trip the bulb out. I think thats whall i'll do, the trunk will be all brakes lights (plus revers, duh. then the larger outer for turn sig and keep the all the way outer 194 bulb as a running light. then black out the orginal turn sig area. it'll look cool to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubbz View Post
Oh the wonders of the tail lights

I've thought of many, MANY things to do to mine, and having the outers run as the turns seems like a decent idea, mainly since they are both 3x57 base. I don't believe the turn signals (spliced in) would work in accordance to the outer brake lights tho since, if you hit the brake, they brighten up, and the alternating current from the turn signal might not disrupt the constant feed from the brake.
Plus you wouldn't want double the juice running to one bulb. That would just burn out immediately.
Although, if you wanted to splice the turn signal wiring and run it in-line with the inner tails, that would mostly likely work.

But back to the original plan, in order for this to work, I would:

1) Plug the turn-signal wiring into the outer brake-light housing. Idk why that wouldn't work properly, but that's the easiest thing I can think of.

2) Pull the outer brake-light wiring back into the car and somehow run an extension splice up through the wire loom (connected to swing arm for trunk) and plug that into the inner brake-light housing, so that would act as the dual-flashing brake-light.

As for what happens to the inner-brake light wiring, I'm not too sure about that one, since you can't just simply take the bulb out and let the wire hang, because the car will yell at you and say there is a light out. I guess you could splice in an LED strip somewhere and stick it somewhere, keeping in mind it will only light up when the headlights are on.