Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 06-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
dbizz23
GX Member

dbizz23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dbizz23
so i went and got my car a diagnostic test and it comes back that my intake is leaking and that they can fix it for $673.00. now i know thats rediculous so have any of you had this problem and how much was it for u to fix...i need some fast info. thanks
Old 06-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
snake_eyes2

Yes, and I paid $1300 to have mine fixed.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
alero440
GLS member

alero440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero440 Send a message via MSN to alero440 Send a message via Yahoo to alero440
Mine was around $500 (I get GM discount though) If you are mechanically incline you could do it yourself, if not take it in.

RIP OMGGMPOWAH 04/09/04-10/29/07

2003 Mazda 6s- redfire metallic- loaded and ready for fun!

"This bitch is drunk!" -me about myself at Killbear Prov. Park '07

alero440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
dbizz23
GX Member

damn...what exactly is "intake leaking"? and is it something to be real concerned about to where my engine will start getting ruined or do i have to take care of it?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally posted by dbizz23@Jun 22 2006, 04:26 PM
damn...what exactly is "intake leaking"? and is it something to be real concerned about to where my engine will start getting ruined or do i have to take care of it?

O yeah I'd be concerned, it's a seriuos problem.

What is happening is when the head gasket cracks, it allows coolant to get into the oil, or oil to get into the coolant. It really depends on which way the break goes.

Although both are seruios, coolant in the oil is the worst of the two. Mixed the oil will turn to sluge and the oil will not protect your motor as well, causing a thermal breakdown. Oil in the coolant is bad too. It will start to clog up the radtior, and the car could overheat.

The coolant could work it's way into the block, and be burned out the exhaust pipe and white smoke / steam, eventaully running out of coolant the car will overheat.

Suck it up now and pay the $673.00, it's mostly labor anyway, the gaskets are like $30, so you might get lucky if they fix it faster.

The 3400 is a pretty easy motor to rip down too, so there is a plus. Make sure the gaskets they use are newer ones. Made after 2003 I think.

I got lucky, Modding the car, the head gaskets had to be replaced anyway

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
Wayfastwhittie

Quote:
Originally posted by alero440@Jun 22 2006, 01:31 PM
Mine was around $500 (I get GM discount though) If you are mechanically incline you could do it yourself, if not take it in.

I got the GM discount on my gaskets too and my brother is going to put in saturday but its another bad GM part
Old 06-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
alerotuner99

Well i think he's taking about the LIM gaskets leaking not head gaskets. I mean mine are leaking right now but its not leaking into the engine. If it is an external LIM leak it isn't gonna hurt it yet but if it starts leaking alot it could get into an oil passage and do some damage. Either way your gonna have to do it sooner or later might as well take care of it before something worse happens.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
SouthDakotAlero
GL Member

SouthDakotAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
My car had roughly 40,000 miles when this happened to me, so I took it in and talked with the guy who sold me the car and they ended up replacing it for free. At first, GM was only going to replace the parts for free but not labor, so I just explained to my dealer that GM knows it made faulty gaskets and this shouldn't be happening. They understood and about a week later they fixed it for free. It helps to keep a good relationship with your dealer.
SouthDakotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:09 AM   #9
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
OMG, you guys are nuts for paying that much for replacing just a little LIM gasket.

I think it would be cheaper to take an automotive repair class at your local college....ROFLMAO

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
I did it, (with my Dad's help)! Make sure if you do it yourself

that you set aside a couple of days in case something goes

wrong or you don't have all the parts.

It's doable, but not for a beginner!
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #11
projectalero

how long did it actually take you to fix it? i was told the labor time on a LIM gasket is about 9 hours, which is most of the repair cost at the shop.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:43 AM   #12
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
I actually did it over two days, and I don't know exactly how long it took, but I'd guess somwhere around 9/10 hours total--but allow yourself more time than that, because I had to run to the dealer to get parts I didn't have , plus I got real tired of bending over the car.

Would I do it again--yes-- but it was an awful lot of work--for the first couple of days after the repair, I was determined to sell this car and get something with an Ecotech.

If you do it yourself--just be prepared for the possibility of having your car down for awhile.
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:02 AM   #13
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by projectalero@Jun 27 2006, 07:00 PM
how long did it actually take you to fix it? i was told the labor time on a LIM gasket is about 9 hours, which is most of the repair cost at the shop.

9 hours labor time is for them to stop and have a few beers every once in a while, continue to charge you while they go on lunch break, come back and have some more beer, then sit around and laugh over how much they're charging.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
dbizz23
GX Member

i agree with that^...those bastards.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #15
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
to bad u dont live by me. i woiuld do it for 100.00 plus parts. lol
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #16
IRONDOG442
GL Member

IRONDOG442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to IRONDOG442
PimpAlero... I live about 1.25 hours from you. Since I buy and sell Alero's all the time (at least once a month). I will assume I can pick you up in Clinton Twp. (which is by Ernie's Auto parts I think NE of Detroit) and pay you $100 and some beer, I will even help you to do a 3400 LIM sea? Do we have a deal?!?!?
IRONDOG442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #17
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
it cost me $50 to have mine fixed.

gotta love that gm extended warrenty

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #18
IRONDOG442
GL Member

IRONDOG442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to IRONDOG442
yeah GM extendend warranties cost a whole hell of alot more than $50.00. When I used to sell Pontiacs (when I was going to college) they sold for around $1,500 When I was selling (when we sold them to people we picked up $150 for our pockets) GM iron, I always wondered what kind of people wasted their money on them and why they kept offering them. This explains everything.
IRONDOG442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:48 AM   #19
exnine@gmail.com
GX Member

exnine@gmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to exnine@gmail.com
I payed about 300 to have a friend do it.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:39 AM   #20
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
its very doable, hell just taking off the UIM takes like 15 minutes.

but then again you gotta drain the coolant. i dont think the new gasket is even 60$

if yo uhave no mechanical experience dont do this, if yo udo, yo ucan save yourself alot of money and do it yourself, just put specific stuff in little plastic baggies and label them. and just go ape poop, and take your power steering resivoir off and bam! tough actin tinnactin!

its alot easier than you think.