Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Kylemac413
GX Member

Kylemac413 is on a distinguished road
Pacesetter headers install

Hey guys! I had a question regarding installing pacesetter headers for the 3.4. I just bought them from another forum member and plan on getting them installed by a shop because I don't have the necessary tools. The best quote I got was $360 if I have all the parts. Now I have the actual headers but my question is, is there any other parts that would be necessary or should it all bolt up right to the stock exhaust? (bolts, gaskets, etc)
Kylemac413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure what all you got but you might need the down pipe and the donut gasket that goes from the front cross over to the down pipe collector.... after the down pipe it should bolt up to the stock exhaust with a reducer given the headers are probably 2 1/4- 2 1/2" while stock exhaust is only 1 7/8"...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
Not sure what all you got but you might need the down pipe and the donut gasket that goes from the front cross over to the down pipe collector.... after the down pipe it should bolt up to the stock exhaust with a reducer given the headers are probably 2 1/4- 2 1/2" while stock exhaust is only 1 7/8"...

As long as you have the bolts and gaskets I believe that's pretty much it. Once they are on, your factory exhaust will have to be cut to proper length and the downpipe welded to it. Im sure you've read about the benefits of going ahead and opening up the rest of your exhaust, you'll loose some of the hp gain not being able to let all that freed up flow out after the header, but they'll still help.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
Babyblue
GL Member

Babyblue is on a distinguished road
the headers act as the downpipe as well. I got my exhaust re-done and got it switched to 2.5" from 2" so I just ran open headers to the shop.
2004 GLS #40 of the final 500. 3500 swap and F-40 6-speed.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
You will need a custom downpipe
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Kylemac413
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
You will need a custom downpipe

The downpipe that comes with the headers is attached already. Can't that just be attached to the rest of the exhaust?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Kylemac413
GX Member

This is exactly what I am receiving
Old 04-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
That's not a down pipe... the down pipe attaches at the last point and is an s bend that attaches at the cat...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah you need a downpipe made to bolt up to the rear header collector.

And thats interesting.... The previous owner put a flex pipe in the cross over pipe for some reason.

And tim, you mean attaches to the "cat back exhaust" stock downpipe is built in with the cat.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #10
Kylemac413
GX Member

Quote:
Yeah you need a downpipe made to bolt up to the rear header collector.

And thats interesting.... The previous owner put a flex pipe in the cross over pipe for some reason.

And tim, you mean attaches to the "cat back exhaust" stock downpipe is built in with the cat.

Damn, that sounds expensive. So I should call the shop and tell them I am gonna need a custom fabbed down pipe? Is that the only way of doing it?
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Sleepy, those were my headers, i installed the flex pipe because i had problems with the crossover seperating from the coupler with spirited driving. The flex pipe fixed that.
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

Nate.... re read what i typed... attaches at the cat not to the cat lol.... we're basically saying the same thing...

As for cost, it shouldn't cost too much for that piece...

Old 04-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
_HeC_
GX Member

_HeC_ is on a distinguished road
ya what you have will bring you right by your steering rack on the subframe, you will need something similar to this made up. Your cat would be a few inches from where my flex is, recommended one of those as well
Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #14
sleepyalero
GLS member

Interesting, didnt know you did that, Sleeper.

Sorry tim! Was reading fast i guess lol

But no a custom downpipe shouldnt run you any more then 200$ really...
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
_HeC_
GX Member

_HeC_ is on a distinguished road
better pic to show what piece you will need made up to connect to factory exhaust, these are S&S headers but yours should sit similar
Old 04-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #16
Kylemac413
GX Member

Yeah I got it done yesterday and they custom fabbed the downpipe. I have had a straight pipe on my alero for a while and it was nice but I got my egr deleted and the headers installed and now it is frighteningly loud. I am gonna have to get a magnaflow muffler or something installed soon because it is crazy loud right now.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #17
sleepyalero
GLS member

Straight pipe is gay, fix it!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #18
Kylemac413
GX Member

Quote:
Straight pipe is gay, fix it!

I was thinking about just getting some flowmasters welded on. Is there any exhaust systems available for the alero or should I just get flowmaster mufflers welded on?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #19
sleepyalero
GLS member

I got flowmaster 80 on mine, love it.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #20
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemac413 View Post
I was thinking about just getting some flowmasters welded on. Is there any exhaust systems available for the alero or should I just get flowmaster mufflers welded on?
Theres a Pacesetter catback and a Borla catback. Pacesetter is cheaper around 400$, Borla is almost 900$. They will be listed as Grand Am but they will fit with no trouble, Aleros and Grand Ams are the same thing.
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote