Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
sprocket
GX Member

sprocket is on a distinguished road
99 alero electrical issue

I have a 99 3.4L alero. Over the weekend I had hooked up an amp in the back. Ran the positive inside the car to the back like I should have. I also drilled a hole in the flap the same area the monsoon amp is clipped on to, but below it, for the ground wire, and bolted it there. Everything seemed fine, nothing blew up but my blinkers are all wonked out. when i turn my right signal on, it blinks fast but the left is fine. when i turn my hazard lights on, the right side blinkers blink at the same time where as the left side, one will blink then switch to the other. to be honest, I never paid attention to which way it should be blinking. Could anyone offer some advice as to what could be causing this? It can't be a burned out bulb, as all of them are working, including headlights and brake lights.
sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
What happens if you disconnect the hot wire (and/or the ground wire) to the amp? Do the blinkers work then?
Old 02-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
sprocket
GX Member

I unhooked the power to the amp and all the 4 ways blink together on both sides, but the right turn signal still blinks too fast. then unhooked the ground to the amp and it does the same.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
If the right blinker blinks too fast without the amp hooked up, that part of the problem is not due to the amp, most likely the hazard switch.

What line did you connect to, to power the amp? From under the dash?
Old 02-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
sprocket
GX Member

I ran a power cable through the firewall and attached it directly to the battery.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
I ran a power cable through the firewall and attached it directly to the battery.

That's good, then. The power source to the amp is likely not affecting the hazard switch voltage. Unless something got knocked loose during the install, I don't know. But I'd drive it for awhile with the amp not connected, and try to find out why the right blinks faster. I have seen some weird turn signal symptoms like that caused by other problems in the electrical system, but they were pretty random.

With the right blinker on, try pushing in the hazard switch button very slightly to see if that affects the speed of blinking. Other than that, I can't think of anything
Old 03-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
The turn signal is ran through the hazard button. They were actually recalled on most alero's. When I got this one I had intermittent turn signal issues. Hit the hazard button on/off a few times while trying other things and see if anything happened. If not, it's not a part to go ahead and replace, I got the cheapest one I could possibly find a few years ago, still haven't had any problems again.
Olds just needed to go back to school for the hazard button electrical. When it sets in the Intrigue using the windows, turn signals, or high beams it will cancel the cruise control. They are saying its the hazard button as well on the Olds forums.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote