Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
DeeJayy
GX Member

DeeJayy is on a distinguished road
A/C Valve Core Kit

Anyone know how to replace it? I bought this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,13289
FOR THIS

DeeJayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
You use a valve core tool to unscrew the old one then screw the new one back in.

This is of course after you remove that black plastic cap over the valve itself ...

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
DeeJayy
GX Member

Well I know that. Ill make it more clear with these pics, the cap broke off when someone over tightened it.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
You can buy a new cap too. I think Rock Auto sells them, but they charge way too much for them so just pick one up at a junkyard next time you are there.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
can you get an easy out in there far enough to grip and twist the rest of the cap out
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
DeeJayy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
can you get an easy out in there far enough to grip and twist the rest of the cap out

I don't have an easy out but once I get one I will try and do it. Gotta find a cheap one lol Thanks man
Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayy View Post
I don't have an easy out but once I get one I will try and do it. Gotta find a cheap one lol Thanks man

Huh. I just took a small flat bladed screwdriver, tap it in, and backed it out when I had to do that to my Cougar.

A Robertson bit (the square one that you see used in a lot of mobile homes) may be better. Perhaps an Allen or Torx of the right size.

Just tap it in until it bites into the plastic, and screw it out.

RwP
Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #8
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
as ralph is saying anything you can get to bite so you can turn it out will work
Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
RalphP
GX Member

And then once you get the cap out, you can work on the valve cores.

Quick question - you ARE aware that if there's any freon in the system, there won't be when you remove the valve core, right?

(I'm making the assumption you're not calling the cap a valve core. If that black plastic cap is what you're calling a valve core - well, no, it's not. And is only a secondary seal anyway. It's there to keep dust and crud OUT of the valve, not keep freon IN.)

RwP
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
DeeJayy
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
And then once you get the cap out, you can work on the valve cores.

Quick question - you ARE aware that if there's any freon in the system, there won't be when you remove the valve core, right?

(I'm making the assumption you're not calling the cap a valve core. If that black plastic cap is what you're calling a valve core - well, no, it's not. And is only a secondary seal anyway. It's there to keep dust and crud OUT of the valve, not keep freon IN.)

RwP

I wasn't gonna touch the valve core til I replace the cap, I know not to let the freon empty as well, I'm not dumb. I did use an allen key and it came right out. Once I replace my thermostat I will empty the freon and replace the valve core in and charge it up.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
If you can fit a Dremel tool in there I would carefully cut a slot in the black plastic remaining part then use a flat-head screwdriver to remove it.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
03glgold
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
If you can fit a Dremel tool in there I would carefully cut a slot in the black plastic remaining part then use a flat-head screwdriver to remove it.
he already said he got it out...would not have been a bad idea though