Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Twiz
GX Member

Twiz is on a distinguished road
Engine sputters at cold start when cold outside.

So the other day the temperature outside went from like 64 to like 40 or less. I'm from the North side of Chicago.
I start the car and the engine starts to sputter for like a good 5 to 10 seconds and then it slowly smooths out, sometime it takes longer. The colder outside the longer it'll sputter and even throw a CEL if you try the gas pedal while it sputters. Basically I have no choice but to let the engine reach its normal temp. on the gauge before I drive off. If I try to drive it any sooner the car hesitates at take off and the engine eventually dies somewhere along the way. And it starts right back up whne I try it again. Yesterday I replaced the battery but that did not fix the problem. The TRAC OFF light sometimes pops up and then it goes away and ocassionally I get a solid CEL which doesn't go away while driving. Sorry I didn't get a chance to check the CEL code but I'm sure it'll say something like misfire (But I will check with AutoZone about it soon)

It did this last winter but the car never stalled or hesitated, it seems it got worse.

This issue is completely related to a temp. related sensor because the car runs perfect in summer. I'm leaning towards one of the O2 sensors (does this car have one or two?) then coolant temp sensor and intake air temp sensor and last but not least mass air flow sensor because that's temp related also. Sorry I'm not exactly 100% familiar with any sensors on this 2.4 Alero.

Thank you for your input!

Last edited by Twiz : 11-17-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
my old GL did this about once a year. probably whats going on is when its running this way its missfiring. i would try putting some seafoam through your fuel tank first. maybe you have some carbon on the valves. i never dug into my issue only becuase it litteraly happend twice to me while i owned it.

try some seam foam in the fuel
get the cel read. probably a P0300. maybe a nother one.
how many miles on it? if its near or over 100k and hasnt already been done so.... its time for spark plugs.
hows the fuel filter and air filter? these can have an effect on your engine.

oh and your car has two 02 sensors. one for fuel trim adjustment and the other to tell the ecm how well your cat is working.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Twiz
GX Member

Twiz is on a distinguished road
FIXED ... thanks to this thread: http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35117

Thank you for your help!