Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #501
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Eh_nigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Eh_nigma
Hey everyone. I do apologize for the delays. Right now I'm a couple days away from coming home from another training exercise. However, I will have a few days where I can just get back at the project. Right now when I get back I'm planning on how to finish up the driver side door. Once that's done... who knows, I've got a lot on the go right now, but, as soon as I'm back in the garage, I'll snap some pics, showing the sound system inside and what have you. Until then,

Edge.
-Why the hell not?
Eh_nigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:42 PM   #502
robz02alero
GL Member

robz02alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to robz02alero
I just sat and read this thread from beginning to end. You are truly a talent to be reckoned with. VERY VERY NICE JOB.....I feel like I know you personaly after reading all that. LOL
COMING HOME SOON
robz02alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #503
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Thanks! But, I must say, if not for all the help and advice I received from the good folks on this forum, I'd be nowhere near where I'm at with the project today. Every chance I get I want to thank everyone here for the help and advice.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #504
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eh_nigma View Post
Thanks! But, I must say, if not for all the help and advice I received from the good folks on this forum, I'd be nowhere near where I'm at with the project today. Every chance I get I want to thank everyone here for the help and advice.

VERY true. Ive learned a lot about my alero from this site. MY FAVORITE site, i love it here!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #505
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

I'm working on covering up the "groove" on the door panel that runs front to back, rewiring the doors to make the locks fully manual, and using the passenger side door lock (because it's reletively unused compared to the driver side), having it in place for a key entry should I need it. The door will also have new window track mounts - I'm sick and tired of the plastic ones breaking, so I'll be replacing them with metal ones I made. After that, the doors get primed, and that is that.

The one thing I'm wondering about though, leave the door itself primed, or paint the outside a green (to match) or black, waiting for the final gunmetal to be applied. but, thats peanuts.

After that, I'm going to look at how I'm doing for time, prior to deciding what to tackle next.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #506
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

The diagrams/schematics for the exhaust are finished. I'll try to scan them in tonight and post them up on here. Took up my whole lunch hour... and all there is to say? Ought to be fun once it's done. It's only on paper right now as I wont be going at the exhaust until likely winter time when I have more of just that - time.

In the mean time though, things are hopefully going to get a whole heck of a lot easier here soon, so I hope to have more of a chance at getting to my car.

But yes, like I said, hope to have the exhaust drawings up here tonight. At least this way I can get any creative insight from you all out there before metal starts to be welded.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #507
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
now are you planning on doing some BIGGER performance mods??? or are you just doing basic performance mods?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #508
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Finish off the interior. Next, doing the body and suspension. Once those three areas are done, that's it, no more to them. I've found with engines, there's never an end, so I'll leave that for the end.

GM gets their cobalt 2.2 Eco's up to 1400hp I do believe... I'd be happy with just over 300 for now. So yes, there will be bigger perfomance mods. I've got a lot of ideas floating around my head with what to do. I want to keep it a 2.2, it's more of a challenge for me. Right now, I'm deciding whether to get a new 2.2, as this one's got 140000km on it now, use the new one for the higher performance, and then once it's done, overhaul the original one, and build it up to match or outperform the bought engine - possibly using it as a spare if need be.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #509
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

niceeeeeee. Its good to see someone put so much work into their alero. There has been too many people on here selling their aleros. Keep it up dude! your alero is gonna be SWEEEETTTT when its all done.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #510
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Thanks...

Well, as mentioned... here's the three things I quickly sketched up. It takes a bit of imagination, but this is the idea I have...

1- http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01611.jpg
2- http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01608.jpg
3- http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC01609.jpg

Just to add in, I forgot to explain it a bit... in Image 1, it will be connected from the Pacesetter Headers, up to the flex section as it would normally be - floating. After that, from the bend onward it's hard mounted. The profile you see from the side in Image 2 is a little too tall, it will be a little less taller than what is drawn. That last section with the four pipes, I'm going to cut and weld the pieces accordingly. The rear hard mount will have the tips (also cut and welded) mounted to it. Once it's all smooth and good to go, where I'm happy with the fit and shape, it'll be sent to be chromed. The side skirt will have a cut out to fit the tips, and they will wrap up slightly (5-10 degrees), and protrude 1/2 an inch at the front, and curve out to 1 1/2 inches by the time its at the rear. The Chrome strip in Image three is both a "rock guard" and a bit of flare, intentionally bringing attention to the exhaust tips. At the same time, it will overhang the tips (stick out further) to limit how much exhaust will come up onto the body, and direct it back and down across the wheel - much like how it comes out right now.

The initial idea was to try and come up with a design that would keep all four exuast tips connected right up to the collector and the header, the idea being each cylinder would have it's own pipe front to back. BUT, that was wanting too much. No room in the tunnel for 4 glasspacks, 4 Cat's, 4 resonators... if you're catchin what I'm pitchin. Maybe on a 440 sitting inside a 74 Duster, but definately not on an N-Body.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #511
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Thanks...

Well, as mentioned... here's the three things I quickly sketched up. It takes a bit of imagination, but this is the idea I have...

I like it!
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 AM   #512
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Tomorrow after work I head to the garage. Two goals by endstate tomorrow night.

1. Have the measurments and layout confirmed and ready to help cut the sheets that will supply the backing for the covers in the back. This also includes marking out where all the spacers and mounting points will be. They need to be both stiff enough to resist vibrations and cracking over time, and as well, strong enough to prevent these boards being pulled clean off.

2. Lay out the ground work for the internal ventilation system that will have air both supplied and expelled through the place where those two side windows are.

Not much, but I'm hoping to have the boards cut and prepared to be padded and skinned this weekend. It's turning into a real PITA as it's all going backwards of how I wanted it to go... I'm working both back to front inside, and bottom to top. But, once I have those boards in, I can then both carpet the floor, and put in the final insulation in the back. And that should be that. It's not too much though, the flat board over the amps, the board that comes up along the subs, wraps around the top and out to the parcel deck.

I'm just glad that I'm going to be able to get back at it. But, it's all finally coming to a point where it's coming together, nothing is being removed from the car anymore. It's now time to make and install the final major pieces, detail it all, and move onto the suspension and body work. Who knows, maybe by first snowfall I'll be working on the body... looking outside... maybe not...

Either way, I'll have pictures up tomorrow of the rear portion of the sound system, and hopefully the sketches of how it's all going to be layed out. (It'll be fun, as I'm trying to eliminate as many straight lines as possible.)

G'night.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:29 AM   #513
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Thanks...

OK, no need for the flex coupler there. There is one in the front by the engine and that is good enough. Just use rubber hangers for the rest.

I would recommend a Moroso Spiral Flow muffler. It will still be loud, but in my experiences and opinion, they sound better than a glasspack. Possibly use something like a Flowmaster Hushpower or Thrush Turbo-Tube (if they even still make those).

For the tip, I know there are places to get a 4-1 header collector that is flat. That would be a good place to start.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:34 AM   #514
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Moroso Spiral Flow muffler you say? I'm going to look into that for sure. Will they fit inside the tunnel? I'm looking at having it hanging no more than 1 1/2 inches from the floor (ground clearance). That glasspack in there right now is sitting at 2 inches and looking at it, it's definately scraped on some pretty good road junk over the last year and a half.

But thanks for the heads up. I'll be definately looking into it. Although I don't want to use rubber hangers for the section after the bend... there isn't much room between the tank and the pipes as it is, and also, hard mounting it will prevent it from banging up and against the side skirt (there's going to be hopefully no more than 1/3 inch cut between the pipes and the side skirt). With that in mind Cliff, you think that I could get away without having the flex section? I'm thinking I should still put it in if it's hard mounted after the bend.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:55 AM   #515
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
It should still be ok without the flex. Just make sure you have it isolated from the heat good enough.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:52 AM   #516
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

its definately going to be an issue that will need a lot of attention payed to it, yeah. With the tank there, I'm looking into other options for a head shield. As well as around the side skirt as well.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #517
01AleroGL34SS
GX Member

01AleroGL34SS is on a distinguished road
Shift Boot

I was wondering where you got the boot that goes around your shifter. I would like to get something like that for my car; I thing the stock set up looks really stupid, GM did a much better job with the Grand Am.
01AleroGL34SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:03 AM   #518
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

I made it myself. Basically, once it was done, I took an old cloth, pulled it through, and got the shape I liked. After that I taped the cloth in place underneath the hard piece, and began to tape up the cloth to make it as clean as possible. Once I liked where the shape was, I cut those pieces. With the last final cut done on the cloth, I lined it up on some vinyl I purchased, cut them to match, sewed them up, and glued/stapled the shift bag in.
-Why the hell not?
Old 09-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #519
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Eh nigma: Have you ever thought of running sneaker pipes from the motor to the front of the rear tires, running it through the side skirt? Just a thought.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #520
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01AleroGL34SS View Post
I was wondering where you got the boot that goes around your shifter. I would like to get something like that for my car; I thing the stock set up looks really stupid, GM did a much better job with the Grand Am.

his car is actually automatic, but the boot and shifter makes it look manual. pretty nifty eh?

oh sorry mark, was that a secret? =-P jp