Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
01AleroGL34SS
GX Member

01AleroGL34SS is on a distinguished road
Shifter Position Indicator

Just wondering if the PRND321 indicator is suppose to light up at night with the rest of the interior illumination. Mine has not since I purchase the car and I didn't want to tear the console apart without knowing. If it does in fact light up, what is the bulb number? Sorry if this is a repost.
01AleroGL34SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
99oldsalerogls
GX Member

99oldsalerogls is on a distinguished road
i dont think so, mine doesnt either
99oldsalerogls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Something you can check that's easy to get to before you go tearing into the dash.

The module on top of the transmission where the linkage attaches has two plugs that come out the side (it's a flat black box that bolts down around the linkage shaft). The large one controls your backup lights, etc. The smaller one is the one that has 4 wires, and is your "Range" switch that tells the computer and dash panel what gear your selecting. That's where the signal originates. Just make sure it's plugged in solidly and look to see that the wires are intact before going further. When that plug is disconnected, the lights on your dash go out. Could be just the bulb(s) in your dash, but it's easier to get to the Module on top the tranny first.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
99oldsalerogls
GX Member

99oldsalerogls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
Something you can check that's easy to get to before you go tearing into the dash.

The module on top of the transmission where the linkage attaches has two plugs that come out the side (it's a flat black box that bolts down around the linkage shaft). The large one controls your backup lights, etc. The smaller one is the one that has 4 wires, and is your "Range" switch that tells the computer and dash panel what gear your selecting. That's where the signal originates. Just make sure it's plugged in solidly and look to see that the wires are intact before going further. When that plug is disconnected, the lights on your dash go out. Could be just the bulb(s) in your dash, but it's easier to get to the Module on top the tranny first.

i think hes talking about the ones actually on the shifter where the pnd123 are in the center, not the ones on dash in the gauge cluster
99oldsalerogls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Trickyslick
V.I.P. Member

Trickyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine does not light up either
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231641/1
Trickyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
disregard

Last edited by BlackJack : 02-28-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: half asleep and being retarded
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
nickbain
GL Member

nickbain is on a distinguished road
the indicator by the shifter is supposed to light up, there is a little bulb in there but I can't remember the number sorry.

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4
5.7 liters of gas suckin power!
33x12.5r15 Mud Terrians on 15x10 wheels

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321
nickbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
CBLOHM3400
Trying To Help

CBLOHM3400 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to CBLOHM3400
194 Bulb
Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
mine lights up.. i think
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Pull up on the shifter console part. Its not hard to remove. There will be a bulb and wire going to the center of the PRD321

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
CharleyO99Alero
GL Member

CharleyO99Alero is on a distinguished road

Yep ... there is a light there and mine lights up as it is suppose to do.

CharleyO99Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Yes, there is a 194 bulb in there, and it actually can fall out of the plastic clip it snaps into pretty easily. Just take off your gear shifter handle (its held on by a staple on the front of the shifter), and pull up on the bezel. The part will pull up.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
01AleroGL34SS
GX Member

01AleroGL34SS is on a distinguished road
Ok, so I took the top of the console apart at lunch and found the bulb. It looks like some IDIOT took the console apart at one time or another and ripped the positive wire out of the harness. So, I replaced the bulb and reattached the wire. Now it lights up like it should! Thanks for all your help!
01AleroGL34SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #14
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01AleroGL34SS View Post
Ok, so I took the top of the console apart at lunch and found the bulb. It looks like some IDIOT took the console apart at one time or another and ripped the positive wire out of the harness. So, I replaced the bulb and reattached the wire. Now it lights up like it should! Thanks for all your help!

Another enlightened Aleromod customer.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #15
Malix
GX Member

Malix is on a distinguished road
Although that is good to know as well, I rarely look at it when I change gears since the dash already offers you a selection right in front of you. Also, most of us change gears by simple memory nowadays, right?

Malix is offline   Reply With Quote