Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Alero Show & Stravaganza Info > Alero Show & Straveganza

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #141
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04PONTIACGA View Post
What have you found that works good in your Alero?

To tell you the truth I haven't launched it hard yet since I had the manual transmission put in.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #142
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
To tell you the truth I haven't launched it hard yet since I had the manual transmission put in.

Really? Maybe It's my age, but I would have a blast after the clutch was broken in.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #143
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04PONTIACGA View Post
Really? Maybe It's my age, but I would have a blast after the clutch was broken in.
Maybe I'm just being a wuss.
At my age I find it amusing that I get better gas mileage in my Alero than my wife gets her Mazda 3 hatchback.
Although I'm sure I'll give it hell when I get the new motor and limited slip differential installed.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #144
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
At my age I find it amusing that I get better gas mileage in my Alero than my wife gets her Mazda 3 hatchback.
Although I'm sure I'll give it hell when I get the new motor and limited slip differential installed.

That's awsome about the mileage. I get excited about that too, I average 30 with my GA, but I don't drive it hard, want to keep the trans as long as I can. Already have 171,000 on it, don't want to push it.

I'm interested to see the outcome of your build, as far as I know nobody has done that much to an N/A build.

Just in case anyone was wondering about the harsh driving in a ranger, here's why It's soooooo fun.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tCgUOmddT0E
That's my cousins '86 ranger, Thunderbird turbo coupe 2.3 ported head, cam, ported custom intake, bigger turbo(dont recall the size) 100 shot of nitrous and a 3.73 8.8 locker rear end. Very fun little thing, runs at 22psi.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #145
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Still trying to figure out how to launch a stick here. Wanna go to the track in a stick car

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #146
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It seems like launching wouldn't be too difficult. I figure I'll keep the RPMs not too high to start with, and just dump the clutch and get into the throttle not too slow not too fast and go balls out after that. I'll play around and learn what works the best though. Hopefully this guy gets back to me on the Texas car and I can go pick it up and get this swap going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
2nd to 3rd can be the most complicated quick shift, ill be honest ive missed a couple of times. But havent in the past couple months.
Yeah I can see how I could slip up there pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Also, i dont downshift unless i really need to. Like coming up to a stop, leave it in gear till rpms drop to like 1200 or so, clutch in and stop. Remember brakes are cheaper/easier job then a clutch.
I typically disengage the clutch anytime I expect to slow down significantly, and shift to another gear depending on what I want to do afterwards. I don't usually leave it in gear during braking, I dunno if that's just a personal preference thing or if you're supposed to do it one way or the other.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #147
Secord
GX Member

Secord is on a distinguished road
I try to stop with the clutch whenever possible, never letting the engine rev past 2k on the downshift. I usually let it float around 1250rpm. If it is a hard stop I depress the clutch and just leave it in gear most of the time while I use the brakes.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #148
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
while I am not a professional, You should technically always downshift as you slow down even if you don't let out on the clutch so that you are prepared if something happened with your brakes
Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #149
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
It seems like launching wouldn't be too difficult. I figure I'll keep the RPMs not too high to start with, and just dump the clutch and get into the throttle not too slow not too fast and go balls out after that. I'll play around and learn what works the best though. Hopefully this guy gets back to me on the Texas car and I can go pick it up and get this swap going.

Yeah I can see how I could slip up there pretty easily.

I typically disengage the clutch anytime I expect to slow down significantly, and shift to another gear depending on what I want to do afterwards. I don't usually leave it in gear during braking, I dunno if that's just a personal preference thing or if you're supposed to do it one way or the other.

All about personal pref. whatever is comfortable. Yeah 2 to 3 just gotta watch out for the "retard bar" lol that little notch that seperates 1st from 3rd, go to shift quick out of second and bam! Your hitting betweem 1 and 3 lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #150
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah... ain't nobody got time fo that...
Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #151
Babyblue
GL Member

Babyblue is on a distinguished road
Lol ����funny ass video. I didn't have time to put my shoes on Jesus
2004 GLS #40 of the final 500. 3500 swap and F-40 6-speed.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #152
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Far as launching hard, well it depends on your traction. Normally at the track if you launch at like 5-6k and you have slicks you'll probably break something with fwd. if you launch to low like 2k then you'll more likely bog off the line. That is what test and tune is for. Depending on track temp and tires and how sticky the launch pad is going to determine where you launch. On average when I have raced with a manual on street tires and its a fwd around 4k was not bad. Even 3500 was decent.

As for downshifting, I have always engine braked. Coming up to a light start downshifting keeping rpm under 3k. I drove my Hyundai for 168k on the original clutch with engine breaking. It does not hurt your car if done properly. Now where people have problems is riding the clutch too much when letting it out or not revving rpm up to about what they will be when you let clutch out for the next gear. Which when people just push clutch in and downshift they will normally ride the clutch more.

My previous clutch vehicles got a min of 75k on the original clutch.

The hardest thing on a clutch and will make it go out the fastest is riding it or burning the clutch. This is all amateur mistakes that people make. Which is why a lot of people don't downshift and engine break cause they don't know how and was never properly taught.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #153
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Match rpms when downshifting, sitting at 1500 and going one gear down rev it up a little higher then 1500 before letting clutch out.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #154
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
But what's the point of the extra work in downshifting? Why not simply disengage and shift to the gear you want when it's time to accelerate? Why screw around with the gears while slowing down, seems pointless. I get 40mpg and have no problem doing it the way I said. No need to keep engaging the clutch over and over as you go down the gears.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #155
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
the point to downshifting has already been mentioned... what if your brakes fail? what if you have a car coming up behind that doesn't slow? how will you get out of the way if there is enough room while you are in first gear? simply put, you cant... you need to be in control of the vehicle at all times... thus downshifting a manual... autos do it for you so you do not have to worry about it... if you don't want to drive the stick properly, stay with an auto...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #156
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
the point to downshifting has already been mentioned... what if your brakes fail?
  1. You have an e-brake.
  2. Shift it into a low gear.
  3. Or do what everyone with an automatic would have to do, turn towards something to slow you down the safest.
Quote:
what if you have a car coming up behind that doesn't slow? how will you get out of the way if there is enough room while you are in first gear?
  1. You're in neutral, not first. You're waiting to choose a gear as you slow down with the clutch disengaged.
  2. Shift it into the gear you want if you decided you must accelerate before making your complete stop. I don't see the problem with leaving the shifter in the middle until you decide what gear you want to be in when it's time to move faster.
Quote:
you need to be in control of the vehicle at all times... thus downshifting a manual... autos do it for you so you do not have to worry about it... if you don't want to drive the stick properly, stay with an auto...
Autos do it because the program says at certain speeds and loads to be in certain gears. Not because it helps you brake more quickly. eff you and your pretentious professional 5-speed driver mentality. I'll drive a manual if I like, and I'll shift to the gear I want to when coasting, when it's applicable.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #157
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Quote:

Where is the "like" button?! I get better gas mileage than most people I know with newer cars and car payments. It's awesome!
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 AM   #158
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
When shifting in "race" mode (talking 1/4 mile) Should I just keep on the throttle or let off between shifts like I do for street driving?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 06-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #159
sleepyalero
GLS member

Ken, when drag racing you WANT to let off throttle, clutch in, change gear let pff clutch and go WOT again.

I forget what its called if you keep throttle mashed and clutch but its NOT good on a transmission period.

Powershifting is whats its called
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sleepyalero : 06-21-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #160
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
When shifting in "race" mode (talking 1/4 mile) Should I just keep on the throttle or let off between shifts like I do for street driving?
Unless you have dogrings or straight-cut gears in your transmission for clutchless upshifts, or are really good at rev-matching, let off the throttle between shifts.

Closed Thread