Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Plastic trunk trim piece - how do I fix this?

This trunk trim piece:

It goes here:

Three of the four tabs that hold it onto the holes there broke! I tried to gule them back onwith superglue, but only one of the three reguled good enough. That and if I have to change another tail light, I will break them again anyway.

Is there a good fix for this? Gluing broken plastic hasn't worked good for me in the past anyway. I don't want to get a new one since it's just going to break when I have to remove it again. I am halfway thinking that maybe gluing some rare earth magnets to the bottom of it might hold it on pretty good.

I have part numbers off of this that show:
GMP.PP.033

On the phone with the dealer, they told me to ignore those numbers on the part, saying that those were "casting numbers" and gave me a part number 22719927, and said that it had a note saying that it needed 4 screws to attach it (implying that it's the one make for later Alero's). Also saying that no stock is available and to try to find it on the internet. Said list price was $53.55

Last edited by zzyzzx : 07-19-2013 at 02:05 PM.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
i used two sheet metal screws to hold mine in. took all of 3 weeks to forget they were there. never looked back
Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
Get an '03+ trim piece with all the hardware. GM realized it was a bad design and add some mounts to mount in the factory clip location and used a different style trim that screws in.
04PONTIACGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04PONTIACGA View Post
Get an '03+ trim piece with all the hardware. GM realized it was a bad design and add some mounts to mount in the factory clip location and used a different style trim that screws in.

Thanks! I'll be looking for one like that!

Anyone have any pics to post of it, or can I order one from the dealer and will they automatically give me the revised design?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

Is this piece the same on a Grand Am?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
I used some stainless screws to tap into mine years ago. A couple of them need tightening once in a while, but for the most part, it works.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I used 2 of these... the lower edge of the carpet folds down when the trunk trim was off and i got these threaded then put everything together and tightened it up... 2 yrs no issues

http://0.tqn.com/d/homerepair/1/0/7/...ggle_molly.jpg

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

I was thinking that one would need to somehow attach something like this to the car:

Then screw the plastic piece in.

I don't know if I can even get the new, improved piece, except maybe at a junkyard.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
With the sheet metal screws they'll just go right into the metal and hold there... with what i used the "wing" I'll call it went up through the side where the carpet is... as soon as it threaded i put the carpet back in place and tightened the screws... it draws the wing up and holds it tight

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
It's raining, but what the hey, here's the ones I used, with some decorative washers

Old 07-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I will take some pictures of the newer style when I go outside next
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Is this piece the same on a Grand Am?

No, the piece is different, but the hardware to mount it is the same.
04PONTIACGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

I went to a JY over the weekend, so now I have seen the different part. I chose not to buy one since they were mostly too scratched up, and mine still looks like new. I figure I can just use the clips for a new one (I did get those) and make the modifications to my old one to use the clips. A Dremel tool should work for that.

Also, those clips are really really hard to remove! I could not get even one out of an Alero after 15 minutes. I could make a special tool to remove them out of a door hinge, or something. They are way easier to remove from a Grand Am, since you have more room to out your hands there. I will post pics when I have actually finished this, but that won't be anytime soon.