Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Help

Ok so i just got the car back last night and my mechanic said it was the mass air flow sensor....changed that....it drove nice on the ride home....then like 2 min from the house it starts doing it again.

Here's the issue...for a while now when i'm first driving the car or maybe like 10-15 min into the drive the rpms start jumping and you can feel it....then lights come on on the dash (brake, trac off, service vehicle) and it would stop.....well now the lights come on and it still keeps doing it. The car will stall out at low speeds and you can barely accelerate cause of the rpms. Can anybody help me here? Have NO money....and i need to get this fixed....
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I still think its a torque converter man, my car did the same exact thing until i got the 6 speed... Its gotta be a trans issue. I know you probably dont want to hear that. But its what i led mine out to be...
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
mfuller

Have you changed the fuel filter recently?
How about your catalytic converter?
Scanned for any DTC codes?
Pulled your plugs to see if any are fouled or the gap is messed up?
Checked your plug wires?
Any odd smells?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
checked dtcs first. see if you have any missfire codes.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
checked dtcs first. see if you have any missfire codes.

I do have a missfire....i went to milzy when i was in ohio and he said cylinder 1 and 6 have a slight missfire. I have an exhaust leak where the two headers connect (the donut needs to be replaced). I do need new spark plug wires....the plugs in there should be fine. Just put those in when i swapped the engine...i hope it's not the torque converter....i mean it shifted REAL nice with the new sensor. The car was running great the first 10-15 min of the drive back....so annoying. I'm seriously thinking of just taking the car off the road and riding a bike for a while. Sick of always having something wrong with the damn car....i fix one problem then another one pops up. I'm just fed up with a bunch of stuff in my life....this car isn't helping. lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Are any of the sensor wires loose or melted?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
Coil pack tips corroded? Might be hard to track this one down without debug testing.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Take your coil packs and icm to autozone and have them tested. Linda like one of those will be your issue. If not, maybe the torque converter lockup switch or vss?
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
906Chase
GX Member

906Chase is on a distinguished road
Does the car have an aftermarket remote starter?

2003 Olds Alero GLS 3.4L, Custom K&N Cold Air w/Bypass, Vinyl smoked corners/tails, JL Audio
906Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
First thing, how did your mechanic determine it was the MAF, DTC's or just a guess?

May sound strange but try unplugging your abs module(drivers side above splash shield), this can cause this, as strange as it does sound. It does sound like something else is going on too though, make sure to check the wiring in the MAF plug. The signal wire in mine was broken inside the insulation causing similar symptoms and be sure to check for weak spots in the wiring.

I wouldn't think it's your CAT because they usually cause random no fires, but may still be likely. I don't think it's your torque converter either, I would think it would be more related the lock up solenoid, but it should only cause surging problems and no miss fires.

To me honestly it sounds like more than one thing is going on, hope you figure it out though, good luck.

Last edited by 04PONTIACGA : 07-12-2013 at 08:57 PM.
04PONTIACGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

Thank you guys for your input. I have no cat so it can't be that....could it be an o2 sensor? Prob not that easy. I gotta go check this stuff out....it's a little overwhelming but i'll try a bunch of the stuff you guys said. New plug wires and i'll check the coil pack. Check loose wires....so annoyed with this car right now....
Old 07-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
You can pull through billy.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
You can pull through billy.

Maybe...but then something else will go wrong. Don't have any money right now and i'm sick of ALL my money going into the car. I don't want to get rid of it but i might have to let it sit for a while.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Maybe...but then something else will go wrong. Don't have any money right now and i'm sick of ALL my money going into the car. I don't want to get rid of it but i might have to let it sit for a while.
Billy, like I have said a million times before. If you don't have the money, don't mod. There are more important things in life than a car unless you use it to actually make a living. Mods can be done as the money comes in.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Billy, like I have said a million times before. If you don't have the money, don't mod. There are more important things in life than a car unless you use it to actually make a living. Mods can be done as the money comes in.

Hes not really modding, hes trying to fix problems so he can get to and from work and stuff.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #16
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Hes not really modding, hes trying to fix problems so he can get to and from work and stuff.

Yes. I'm perfectly content with the mods i have....until this 3500 shits the bed (has 46k on it now) or the tranny....i wont be doing anymore modding. Just trying to get this thing running right.....i don't trust to take it down the street to the market. I'm just glad it didn't do this when i was out there (lansing) or ohio....i was in ohio for like 2 weeks lol. I got lucky it didn't act up on the way back either....so it def could be worse....
Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #17
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
I do have a missfire....i went to milzy when i was in ohio and he said cylinder 1 and 6 have a slight missfire. I have an exhaust leak where the two headers connect (the donut needs to be replaced). I do need new spark plug wires....the plugs in there should be fine. Just put those in when i swapped the engine...i hope it's not the torque converter....i mean it shifted REAL nice with the new sensor. The car was running great the first 10-15 min of the drive back....so annoying. I'm seriously thinking of just taking the car off the road and riding a bike for a while. Sick of always having something wrong with the damn car....i fix one problem then another one pops up. I'm just fed up with a bunch of stuff in my life....this car isn't helping. lol.

ummm fix the missfire before you do anything else!. and, if you have a leak in the exhaust, your 02 sensors oculd be seeing extra oxygen making it run rich.