Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #21
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silveralero View Post
im pretty good at finding parts for cheap and it wouldnt take that long to do it.
Take sickfish's advice. Go through your insurance unless you have suddenly become a body and fender man. Their is more damage to your car than you realize. Fenders are easy, rear quarters are not. Don't want to see any more hack jobs on Aleromod.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #22
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam337 View Post
i suppose..then you could put grill mesh in the vents and some glowage like you do

Glowing vents was indeed the plan, my man, haha.

Rear quarter panels stump me... how the heck do you change them? I'd imagine you'd find screws and nuts like a fender... but then would you have to cut it at the c-pillar then weld at the seam where new quarter meets old c-pillar? I've always been curious.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #23
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnut View Post
Take sickfish's advice. Go through your insurance unless you have suddenly become a body and fender man. Their is more damage to your car than you realize. Fenders are easy, rear quarters are not. Don't want to see any more hack jobs on Aleromod.

well it was 2 years since her last incident anyways the most damage appears to be on the fender so ill just chip away at it
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #24
sickfish
GX Member

sickfish is on a distinguished road
dude what on gods green earth are you doing, do you realize that buying and installing jap crap parts fit like shit!!! the e-coating is of poor quality, any cheap aftermarket part that says tong-yang on it yes that is a actualy company that makes the cheapest shit out there
stay far far away from that garbage, dude you say chip away at it just tugs at me a wrong way like what i and allot of other people do out there is so eay a monkey can do it, dude when i say let the insurance pick it up you will thank me later, there is always more damage once the car is torn down
sickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #25
sickfish
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post

Rear quarter panels stump me... how the heck do you change them? I'd imagine you'd find screws and nuts like a fender... but then would you have to cut it at the c-pillar then weld at the seam where new quarter meets old c-pillar? I've always been curious.

ask and you shall recieve
on a 4 door it goes like this from front to back of the car
a-pillar, upper a-pillar, lower a-pillar, goes into the inner rocker panle then the outer rocker panel, which goes up into the b-pillar, the goes into the d-pillar or sail panle
on a 2 door, all the a-pillar the rocker panles the goes into the c-pillar, the the d-pillar or sail panel
so this is how a 1/4 is held on resistant spot welds and panle bond and caulk, and pillar foam
all glass is removed all the interior, and all other parts removed
i either grind or drill every spot weld on the seams, now i-car says due to the laser welded seam a panle is to be spliced 3to5 inches from the laser welded seam
then i bring out the torch to break off the panel bond, and i use either my air hammer or a cool little tool called the seam buster it s nicer way to save the inner wheel house and the inner 1/4 structure
so allot of guys do a lap weld, i perfer a open butt with backing, its a sleeve method which in tests done by i-car is stronger then the factory
so i drill 2-3 holes in the sail panel make my sleeve, drill hole in the new panle, weld the sleeve on the sail panle,
install the panle hold it in place with sheet metal screws and reinstall everything you took off ya have too to make sure everything fit and all body lines are perfect
then take everything back off, i usally drill a 1/8 of an inch hole in 2 places to make sure it goes back on the car in the right place
now once again all mating surfaces are preped for the new panle bond, the new 1/4 is alos preped, panle bond on both panles, sheet metal screws, and start welding
simple huh???
Old 09-07-2007, 06:22 AM   #26
nickbain
GL Member

nickbain is on a distinguished road
ya that sounds easy. You sure your not a chimp or something

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4
5.7 liters of gas suckin power!
33x12.5r15 Mud Terrians on 15x10 wheels

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321
nickbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:43 AM   #27
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Wow !
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #28
clutch1
GLS member

That's a mess of work. I never understood why they don't make rear quarters easier to remove/change.
I sure hope I learn all that cool crap Sick just talked about once I graduate this year and get into tech school!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #29
sickfish
GX Member

what its so easy isnt it??? usally insurance pays about 22 to 24 body labor hours to install a 1/4, then maybe the inner and out wheel house is damaged rear body panle i can usally get a 1/4 off in a 1/2 day, and the rest is spent preping the mating surfaces the next is spent on cutting, fab`n the sleeves, making all gaps nice
oh c`mon guys even a monkey can do what i do
Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 AM   #30
clutch1
GLS member

Well compared to the reletively swappable nature of bumper covers and front fenders, even doors, the rear quarter panel is a beast of a project.

I suppose once you've done it a zillion times at a shop though it becomes easy as pie.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:02 AM   #31
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfish View Post

oh c`mon guys even a monkey can do what i do

But can a monkey make it look good? I wish a monkey did the paint on the hood of the 91 300SL benz in the garage. It has more fish eyes than the pond in the back yard. It would've been better leaving the old paint with the 3 foot scratch.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #32
01silveralero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
But can a monkey make it look good? I wish a monkey did the paint on the hood of the 91 300SL benz in the garage. It has more fish eyes than the pond in the back yard. It would've been better leaving the old paint with the 3 foot scratch.

only until they get the secret from ferrari
Old 09-08-2007, 01:41 AM   #33
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post

Sounds like you had dirty air lines. Did you not have a water and oil seperator on the air line when you painted it? You can sand it out, but it's gonna be a bear!!
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:09 AM   #34
sickfish
GX Member

its more then just the air compressor, fish eyes come from all types of contaiminets the panel could not have been preped, the gun was contiaminated,, the towle used all kinds of problems could have came up
if there is enough clear on the hood ya can wet sand it flat and try buffing
but if there all the way down to the base coat then your screwed
Old 09-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #35
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Sounds like you had dirty air lines. Did you not have a water and oil seperator on the air line when you painted it? You can sand it out, but it's gonna be a bear!!

Not me, a shop that got paid $500 to do it.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #36
01silveralero

well gonna try to fix the first one this weekend ill let u know how it goes
Old 09-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #37
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
Glowing vents was indeed the plan, my man, haha.

lol....rear quarter panels... its not just the panel, it includes all this crap behind it. and you should buy them new if u have to replace them.. if they are off at all it wont fit right (like from a junkyard)
I got in a really bad wreck a few years ago with smooshed doors and rear quarter panel.. i forget the details was just trying to recall what our bodyman said.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #38
01silveralero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzbear View Post
lol....rear quarter panels... its not just the panel, it includes all this crap behind it. and you should buy them new if u have to replace them.. if they are off at all it wont fit right (like from a junkyard)
I got in a really bad wreck a few years ago with smooshed doors and rear quarter panel.. i forget the details was just trying to recall what our bodyman said.

if i could find them new. doing front fender first then going from there.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #39
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
clutch, everytime i see a pic of your car i cant help but scream! you should have taken the red wipers off, and the red pinstripe, and the red tint! LMAO.