Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 10-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
chevypower91
GX Member

chevypower91 is on a distinguished road
Need some help please!

Hey guys,

I just joined this forum. I have a 2003 Olds. Alero GX which I had purchased new. I recently had some starting issues with the battery becoming drained. I would turn the key to accessories, all the lights seem to work and when I try to start it, it barely has power or no power at all at times to turn over the engine. Once I boost the battery it starts up fine. I did have the original battery, and replaced it with another battery that my neighbour had lying around, but I am still have the same issue.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Benny
chevypower91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
does the red battery light co9me on because i had the same problem and it was the alternator.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
It sounds like a shorted cell in the battery. It has to be replaced if so. It happens on batteries. You might as well get the last battery you will need for that car. Yellowtop.

Have a good day

Last edited by AGT : 10-15-2009 at 09:55 AM.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
chevypower91
GX Member

Hi there,

There is no battery or alternator light on, and the battery that I obtained from my nieghbour seems the be old, but he had it fully charged before I took it. I am not sure if it's not holding its charge.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
You get power but clicks when it starts? You have an alarm?

Have a good day
Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
chevypower91
GX Member

I hear it click, but at times there isn't enough power to turn over the engine. The car has no alarm.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
AGT
GLS member

Its clicking is most likely battery or starter. Battery is easier and you can improve your battery. Starter is a little harder and one is just like the other.

Have a good day
Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
MotorCity
GL Member

MotorCity is on a distinguished road
**random fact the flywheel isnt jus for limiting vibration but it also helps to start the car(could be a problem ive never heard of it but it is possible).. jus some out of the box thinking** :P

I am beyond help...
MotorCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Just chane the battery with a new one, a yellow or red top
Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
probably battery, get a new one. its likely not the alternator, that has nothing to do with starting it has to do with charging after the vehicle is running. so put in a new battery which should already be charged and try it. used batteries= bad idea.
make sure you have the terminals nice and tightly connected to when you put the new batt in.

from there if that doesn't fix it, starter. cause u do know when you turn the key and it clicks, the power for everything else is supposed to go out during the starting process. that can be mistaken for a bad battery with lots of people. i just replaced my start a few weeks ago for the same problem, i just had put in a new battery a couple weeks before that.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
if your battery isnt holding charge then you need a new battery, if it is holding charge and this keeps happen then you need a new alternator.

go out charge up the battery, start the car and then use a multimeter and check the voltage at the battery. should be 13~14, shut off the car and keep monitoring the battery with the multimeter, if it stays around mid 11 the battery is fine but if it drops below 11 your battery is shot.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Battery or Alternator!

Have a shop up there load test the battery, or if you have a multi meter check the voltage across the post with the car running and not...like it was mentioned above. Should give you a quick idea as to what is going on.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
Ian 2000GL LA1
GL Member

Ian 2000GL LA1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ian 2000GL LA1
CHECK all your connections with a meter and be sure your getting good connectivity as well as at least 11V to everything in the start process mabe its just 2 bad batteries but i would check connections.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
if the nieghbor had this "new" battery laying around... but it's actually old, he obviously took it out of something. And unless the only reason he took it out was becasue of winter storage or something, then it goes to say he prolly had a reason to take it out. i'd start with a NEW battery.

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
Ian 2000GL LA1
GL Member

Ian 2000GL LA1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ian 2000GL LA1
testing can be the cheapest remidy. why waste the $$ if u can troubleshoot for nothing first.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
chevypower91
GX Member

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to provide an update on my previous issue, and it turned out to be the battery.

I want to thank all of you for your assistance and recommendations.

Benny