Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
jcrules78
GX Member

jcrules78 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Ses

Hey everyone,
My 2000 Alero just dropped an SES on my wife while she was driving to work today. The light is still on tonight. My question is if there is a way to obtain trouble code information from the OBD II system without a scanner? I used to love the ol' paper clip trick with the OBD I system, but I read somewhere that this method can't be used with the OBD II. Is it true that the only way to find out what ails that 2.4 is to have it scanned with one of those special tools?
Thanks
JCRULZ
jcrules78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Wow the paper clip trick, haven't heard that one since 1995

No, you NEED a scaner to get any SES or SVS codes. Do they ahve Autozones up there? They scan cars for free. There are other car part stores that do it too

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
itsbmw

Did you fill up anytime before this happened? Mine seems to SES everytime I fill up and I get the codes checked and its somestupid emissions or something They tell me its nothing. If that isnt the case then Id go to a local autoparts store they might have scanners
Old 09-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Wow the paper clip trick, haven't heard that one since 1995

OK, i'll ask. Did the paper clip remove the codes or somehow fix them?
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
You just stuck the 2 ends of a paper clip in the OBD port and it would clear the code, but this was only on OBD I cars

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
jcrules78
GX Member

The Paperclip trick didn't clear the codes on the car I used it on. I used to have an 88 IROC-Z Camaro. When you stick the ends of the paperclip in the top rightmost ports side by side, the check engine light would flash the identity of the trouble code. For instance, the MAF sensor trouble code is 34 The light would flash three times, pause, then flash 4 times to give the reader the identity of the engine issue. I never was able to clear my codes with this method though. Thanks for the info guys, I had a feeling that the OBD II system would be impenetrable without advanced tools.
JCRULZ
Old 09-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
does it run? does it roll? drive? if it does DONT WORRY ABOUT IT!!! get the duck tape and cover the damn dummy light
Old 09-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
jcrules78
GX Member

No way man. I might let it slide in my daily driver, but when my wife is behind the wheel and driving over 100 miles a day back and forth to work, that car isn't getting duct tape to cover up a possible break down. I'd rather nip it in the bud and make sure all is well under the hood.
JCRULZ
Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Nate's just messing around, lol. Get the code read, let us know.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
lol, my SES light has been on for over a month now and i keep ignoring it. in the mean time, i'm prolly killing my emissions system but oh well. one of these days i'm finally gonna meet up with C2 to get the laptop and have him scan my car....with my current schedule, that could take awhile.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
teflone
GL Member

teflone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbmw View Post
Did you fill up anytime before this happened? Mine seems to SES everytime I fill up and I get the codes checked and its somestupid emissions or something They tell me its nothing. If that isnt the case then Id go to a local autoparts store they might have scanners

OMFG.... try tightening your gas cap silly
or you have a hole in your tank.. unlikely..

Trouble code would be Gas Evap sensor..
teflone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
deathwish666
GL Member

deathwish666 is on a distinguished road
i have a leak in my evap system...at least thats what i was told by my mechanic when i brought it in to him to see what it was...it throws off my ses but he says its really no big deal...just emissions
coming soon: some led's, better subs
deathwish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
jcrules78
GX Member

The next day, my wife said while driving, the SES turned off and it hasn't been on since. The only thing she did that day different was fill up the gas tank prior. The SES stayed on for a while after the fill-up and then turned off. I have a buddy at my garage that has his own personal Cornwell OBD2 scanning tool and he hooked it up for me to see if any code was stored, but it revealed nothing. Oh well, I'll just see if it becomes an intermittent deal. I'm not too worried if that's the case.