Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Regional Discussions & Meets > West Coast

Old 08-24-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Have you or your family been looking for a dog? Animal Planet's new reality show "Who Gets The Dog?" can help find the perfect dog for you! We are looking for fun, energetic couples, roommates, or families who want the chance to have an adorable and loving dog! All applicants will be screened through the Humane Society of the United States. We will be using dogs from various shelters and private rescues in the southern California areas. Animal Planet covers all cost of adoption and you receive a free year supply of dog food too! Please call 818.817.8452 or email the address above. You must live in the Los Angeles area. There is no pay.

Do not submit after: 10/15/2004
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
duesergirl

There's been a lot of discussion on this on the corgi list I'm on. It's very divided on whether people think this is a good idea. Some are saying it's a great idea because it gets these dogs out of the shelters and into loving families. Others are saying it's a horrible idea because it takes an already scared and confused dog, throws him into three different households over three days (adding to the fear and confusion) and then sticks it with whatever family they think looks good, claiming it is "the dog's decision."

I'd have to actually see the show and the way they handle things before I made up my mind. But I thought I'd let you all know the controversy this is causing in the dog world!
Old 08-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Didn't realize the 3-families-in-3-days plot. Hopefuly Animal Planet and the humans Society will be monitoring this very closely.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
duesergirl

Apparently, all the people who have the option of getting the dog are screened by the Humane Society, just as they would be if they came into the building to adopt a dog.

One of the big concerns in the dog community is what happens if you do this with an already scared dog, and the dog gets more scared and bites someone? In a normal adopting situation, the dog would not have the added fear presented by shuffling him through several homes, so the likelihood he would get frightened and bite is much lower.

Like I said, I would have to see the show and how it's done before I made up my mind, but I'm worried this could turn out to be a really bad idea.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:13 PM   #5
Spook

yeah I can see that going bad...
On tonights show our dog is a 130 lb. German Rottweiler who was severly abuse by his last owner gangster rapper fiddy-nine cent.

Of course my opinion is biased, because I think reality TV is the black hole of television.