Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
keytonic
I am BeerMan

keytonic is on a distinguished road
Effed Engine

Well bought my alero about a month ago knowing the engine had some issues. Last I finally got a new battery and tried to fire it up. It's been sitting a round for quite a while (year and a half I think). When I try to fire it the engine sounds awful like a loud lawnmower but it feels like the engine is knocking awful hard with metal grinding inside. I'll try to get a sound clip up soon for ya all to here but trying to get a good guestimate on where to start or just scrap it and get a new engine.
keytonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
put oil in it for one
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
keytonic
I am BeerMan

Lol. did that but I did find a issue after just checking it out in the daylight and the rubber gasket on the crankcase is hanging out so there's a start.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
aleromiester
GX Member

aleromiester is an unknown quantity at this point
same thing happened to mine in december. mine is a 2000 but my oil sending unit busted and i ran it two miles to get home with no oil. not great
aleromiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
good thing 3400 motors are cheap.....
Old 03-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
mbeals
GX Member

mbeals is on a distinguished road
Grinding is never good, neither is knocking.

Is the thing sticking out you are talking about the oil pan gasket? First I would run a compression test, then drain the oil and cut apart the filter to look for metal. It sounds like you are dropping the pan anyway, so take a good look while you are in there.

If the engine did sit that long without starting, there is probably quite a bit of dry metal. Dry bearings = bad news.
mbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
aleromiester
GX Member

yes it is good that they are cheap cuz they always go wrong now if the japs start makin 3400 they wouldnt break down near as often
Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
mbeals
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleromiester View Post
yes it is good that they are cheap cuz they always go wrong now if the japs start makin 3400 they wouldnt break down near as often

Yea, they'll run so well they won't want to stop
Old 03-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
aleromiester
GX Member

would be nice. what is the biggest eninge that can be dropped in the alero
Old 03-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleromiester View Post

lol yeah right, it'd be alot better if we had JDM crankwalk....

other than the manifold gasket problem (which is a very easy fix) these motors are great!!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
I think you should put an L67 in your car.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
I think you should put an L67 in your car.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
dbailey
GL Member

dbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
The 3400 isn't THAT bad. I have 176,000+ miles on mine and all I've had to do to it is the LIM gaskets around 50,000 and a water pump and that's about it other than tune-up stuff. Just replaced the fuel pump at 176,000. I admit I have a slight knock in it especially when I first crank it up but most of it goes away when it warms up. The key is you gotta change the oil regularly and flush your coolant and you'll get a ton of miles out of one without major problems. Of course you can't drive it like you stole it and expect it to last long either. I think the #1 thing that totally SUX about our cars are the wheel bearing assemblies and the brake rotors! Now that's what makes these cars really suck if you want to identify something that is bad on them.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
that "knock" you hear is the lifters... not rod/main knock...

these engines are bulletproof, that is my opinion, but i beat the living hell out of mine, with 167K miles, and a bad life, still strong.. before i got it, i don't think it ever had an oil change... and had like a gallon of coolant in the crankcase... so i think the engines are built pretty goddamn good
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 AM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
If it sounds that bad, just replace the engine, but build it a little bit first

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
ya my lifters make a knocking sound but my 3400 has 129,000
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #17
keytonic
I am BeerMan

There's 160k on this engine I'm tearing it down right now actually tearing everything apart. Have the wheels off putting a set of Eibachs on with new Brembos, Exhaust looks pretty rusty so will have to get that done to after it's running. Since I have the engine torn apart might as well add a couple goodies to it Giving ole WOT-TECH a good look for some parts. also have my CAI on the way. Just happy its not my everday vehicle trying to rush it back on the road
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #18
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
a lot of people go with a good build,

Scat rods, diamond forged pistons, 3500 crank, Manly Valvetrain, 3500 heads and uim/LIM, double roller timing chain, supercharger/turbocharger camshaft, MLS gaskets, metal LIM gaskets...and a turbo of your choosing, looking at like 2,200 in parts, i missed some little things like bearings and studs and bolts and such.. but you'll have a fast as hell Alero, and you might want to invest in a 4T65HD in the future
Old 03-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #19
keytonic
I am BeerMan

Ok I was just outside tinkering with the car again since it's finally 60 degrees again and found a bad thing in my oil pan. Sitting on the bottom was metal shavings. My friend said it could be many things but asked if I could tell what part of the engine was knocking and I said the it felt to be lower he said most likely some bearings. This sound like the likely cause? It won't stay running just stalls out. I'm thinking of just pulling this engine slap a junkyard one in for $150. I know it'll cost more than that just to fix this one but a little worried on a junkyard engine too though (could be shot too). what route would you all go?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #20
mbeals
GX Member

I say it depends. Do you know how to rebuild an engine? Do you find the prospect enjoyable? If you can do it and want to, then at least pull it apart and take a look at the damage. It could need some light machining and a few random parts (and a good cleaning), or the cylinder walls could be scored beyond repair. Hard to tell by just metal in the oil.

If you just want a running car, find a roller or a low mileage donor with body rot, and just swap it out.

Or......find a cheap donor engine, then start rebuilding the old one. Take your time, build it like you want, then swap it in, sell off the old stock engine and enjoy.