Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #21
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
This is a chambered muffler, notice the different chambers. This one is a 2 chamber

Quote:
That was my old one. This has only been on my car since July 07 and it is MUCH quieter and less drone-y then the garbage I had one it at ASS.

This is my old one and it looked like crap too

That's what you had? Good to see you upgraded a lot. I hate those mufflers, they look and sound so retarded

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #22
Alon Alero
GL Member

Alon Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alon Alero Send a message via MSN to Alon Alero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
This is a chambered muffler, notice the different chambers. This one is a 2 chamber

So youre saying that a straight thrus is not good?
I dont know the sizes that mine have but its straight thrus and it looks like the ones u dont like... So is it possible that im still earning power?

Can u post a photo of your muffler?

Last edited by Alon Alero : 10-04-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Alon Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #23
blueolds01
GX Member

blueolds01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to blueolds01
he ment a straight though muffler meaning it will flow more air. a chambered muffler flows less air because it has to go around all those metal plates inside. you cant tell if a muffler is chambered or straight though by just looking at it, you have to get a picture from the manufacturer or cut it in half (not recomended).
-'97 s10 4.3 v6, alpine head unit, camaro rims, 2.5" cat-back w/Edelbrock SDT, Edelbrock TES headers, HPPIII, and 8mm taylor wires. 15.505@87.42mph

http://www.cardomain.com/id/s104-banger
videos-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YvkbtiBirVo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WnmqBZkdmAM
blueolds01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #24
blueolds01
GX Member

Quote:
^^ True that, but I don't want to lose any top end.

When I do go with the 44's they don't come in 2.5 in and 2.25 out, so I'll just have to go 2.5 in and out

o darn?
im sure you wont lose any top end. its not that much freer flowing, most of the exhaust comes out the one side any ways. the other side is mostly for looks and it did make it a tad bit louder.

i still dont understand why you would lose power because of less back pressure anyways. i could understand moving the powerband, but not losing the power. all well.
-'97 s10 4.3 v6, alpine head unit, camaro rims, 2.5" cat-back w/Edelbrock SDT, Edelbrock TES headers, HPPIII, and 8mm taylor wires. 15.505@87.42mph

videos-
Old 10-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #25
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
the real key here is that tuning will fix everything. im no expert but from what i have read back pressure is what sucks the exhaust gas out of the cylinder. an exhaust system that flows more air will suck not only the exhaust gas out but also some of the air/fuel that is coming into the cylinder during that split second of valve overlap. less fuel equals less power. seems to me thats why some people claim a power loss after putting on their bigger exhaust. if you have the ability to tune then you can add fuel to make up for what is lost. once the exhaust gas leaves the cylinder then its all about flow velocity and not so much back pressure. two things contribute to the velocity of a gas, temperature and volume. cold air moves slower than hot air because its denser. if you are flowing more volume then you need a bigger exhaust pipe to handle the increase, all the while maintaining the back pressure at the exhaust port on the cylinder head. the obvious question is "well how do i figure all that out?" im sure there is a mathmatical equation for it but i have no idea what it is. im sure flow bench testing would answer some of it. the general rule of thumb for the 3400 engine, in my opinion, is that a chambered muffler is fine for naturally aspirated. forced induction pretty much requires a straight through type muffler due to the major increase in air flow. hope this helps and someone who is more knowledgeable please correct me if anything is wrong.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #26
nickbain
GL Member

nickbain is on a distinguished road
http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2948

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1999

for those who care to read it.

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4
5.7 liters of gas suckin power!
33x12.5r15 Mud Terrians on 15x10 wheels

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321
nickbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #27
Alon Alero
GL Member

Alon Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alon Alero Send a message via MSN to Alon Alero
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueolds01 View Post
he ment a straight though muffler meaning it will flow more air. a chambered muffler flows less air because it has to go around all those metal plates inside. you cant tell if a muffler is chambered or straight though by just looking at it, you have to get a picture from the manufacturer or cut it in half (not recomended).

Yea i know... I also read what jackal posted and im even more confused.
I have no idea if my exhaust helps me or not... but if it matters somehow, if i'm revving hard (i mean get into high rpms and no i dont do it alot ) there are drops of fuel coming out from the exhaust.. and my muffler isnt really bigger from the original one, but its straight placed and not width placed like the original so i guess it is bigger in some way.

Last edited by Alon Alero : 10-04-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Alon Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 AM   #28
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Let me clean this post up a little here...
Quote:
That is why I chose chambered mufflers. Straight thrus allow tooo much exhaust gas to escape. Cars use backpressure to make horsepower. Straight thrus do not allow backpressure to build
This is incorrect. Engines do not need backpressure for anything. Eliminating all backpressure would be the ideal setup for an exhaust. An exhaust system that maintains high exhaust velocity will help scavenge the exhaust out of the cylinder. The best exhaust would be using the proper pipe diameter to maintain scavenging down low as well as flow well on the top end and using straight thru mufflers. This will maintain low end torque, flow enough on the top end to allow the greatest amount of power to be made, and have the least amount of restriction.

I don't know what your full setup is now, but I'd be willing to bet you'd better your quarter mile times and trap speeds by going with a full header-back exhaust with a minimum of 2.5" piping, a high flow cat and straight through mufflers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000
the real key here is that tuning will fix everything. im no expert but from what i have read back pressure is what sucks the exhaust gas out of the cylinder. an exhaust system that flows more air will suck not only the exhaust gas out but also some of the air/fuel that is coming into the cylinder during that split second of valve overlap. less fuel equals less power. seems to me thats why some people claim a power loss after putting on their bigger exhaust. if you have the ability to tune then you can add fuel to make up for what is lost. once the exhaust gas leaves the cylinder then its all about flow velocity and not so much back pressure.
The velocity is what sucks the exhaust out of the cylinder, known as scavenging. When the exhaust flows faster out of the cylinder, it sucks the rest of the exhaust out with it, and during valve overlap, also sucks the air/fuel intake mixture into the cylinder, not out with the exhaust. Using the proper pipe diameter to maintain velocity will maximize the scavenging effect and maintain low end torque. The people that complain about losing power are probably complaining because the pipe is too big, which didn't maintain scavenging for low end torque, and therefore seems sluggish on the low end compaired to the stock exhaust.

Basically, everyone should think of exhaust backpressure this way: which pipe will the air flow faster through - the one that's open, or the one that's partially blocked at one end?

Another thing everyone's hung up on is the sound from using a straight thru muffler. If you think it's too "ricey" sounding, add in a straight thru resonator after the cat. It'll quiet it down a little and deepen the tone nicely.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 10-05-2007 at 05:10 AM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:36 AM   #29
Jferg2223
GL Member

Jferg2223 is on a distinguished road
my dynomax sounds good fellas. my best friend has super 40 on his grand am and we both came to a drunken agreement that my dynomax sounds better than his flowmaster. power wise i dont know we havnt did much testing but sound i am completely happy, i just did the camaro style single in dual out with dual borla tips on both sides definately ssswwwwweeeeeeettttt. not to mention i didnt quite pay as much for mine.
MSD Coils - NGK Iridium Plugs - Taylor Wires - 62mm RSM Throttle Body - DHP PCM- 180 Stat - TPS Enhancer - Custom 3" CAI - Thunderbolt Spin Cat no resonator - Dynomax Dual exhaust w/ Borla Tips- Cleared Corners/Black Bezels
Jferg2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #30
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Which dynomax do you have? The Super Turbo or Ultra Flo?
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #31
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I have a full exhasut. Headers back and finished off with a Flowmaster 80 2.5 in and 2.5 dual out.

I want to go with dual Super 44's.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #32
blueolds01
GX Member

Quote:
I have a full exhasut. Headers back and finished off with a Flowmaster 80 2.5 in and 2.5 dual out.

DO IT!!

videos-
Old 10-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #33
Jferg2223
GL Member

Jferg2223 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Which dynomax do you have? The Super Turbo or Ultra Flo?

i had the super turbo with same setup for a year and it sounded incredible but since you can see the muffler underneath the car while your driving i wanted to look a little better so i got the ultra flo and it sounds the same as the super turbo it just is welded rather than a rolled muffler and its polished so its purdy.
MSD Coils - NGK Iridium Plugs - Taylor Wires - 62mm RSM Throttle Body - DHP PCM- 180 Stat - TPS Enhancer - Custom 3" CAI - Thunderbolt Spin Cat no resonator - Dynomax Dual exhaust w/ Borla Tips- Cleared Corners/Black Bezels
Jferg2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:37 AM   #34
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:

What size piping from the headers, 2.5" I'm assuming?

Try going with a resonator and dual Magnaflows for more flow.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 AM   #35
Mr_Reed
GL Member

Mr_Reed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mr_Reed
Not many people do it... But my exhaust was only 80 bucks with the tip everything welded..
I cut off my resonator and put a glass pack in its place with a 3.5 in tip 2.5 piping all the way back sounds good and I gained some horsepower sounds kind of like a truck though lol
Old 10-06-2007, 01:40 AM   #36
paulyb
GLS member

paulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these partspaulyb is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Reed View Post
Not many people do it... But my exhaust was only 80 bucks with the tip everything welded..
I cut off my resonator and put a glass pack in its place with a 3.5 in tip 2.5 piping all the way back sounds good and I gained some horsepower sounds kind of like a truck though lol

nice.......... bet that bitch is loud as hell.
paulyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 AM   #37
Mr_Reed
GL Member

Mr_Reed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mr_Reed
Actually its not bad at all man drone isn't very loud its pretty sweet I was happy with it I've had it done for like 4 months I get alot of comments on it when I start my car up in the morning though that bitch is load lol I can't sneek out at night without my neighbors hearing me lol
Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #38
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Reed View Post

video please
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #39
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferg2223 View Post
i had the super turbo with same setup for a year and it sounded incredible but since you can see the muffler underneath the car while your driving i wanted to look a little better so i got the ultra flo and it sounds the same as the super turbo it just is welded rather than a rolled muffler and its polished so its purdy.

Wow, I would've thought the ultra-flo would have been a bit louder with the straight-thru design. I know many people who love the dynomax on the V6/60. They typically do sound great.

My next muffler is a Corsa that came off a wrecked C5.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #40
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
who needs mufflers??..lol...i don't have any issues with the law, but if you need to have one, buy one that is a straight through design
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote