Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 10-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
Should I lower?

ok here's the deal, I've wanted to lower my car for a while because it looks funny being so high up

have the option of buying intrax lowering springs for cheap, however, I hear that they will lower the car 2 inches and after looking at the gap between my tires and my wheel well, that's about every inch of space I have.

So i'm pretty much just assuming that I won't be able to do it, or if somebody else has lowered their car with 18's has it worked?
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
If it's practical for you to do so, lower da ho, however, I know when i'm driving around i have problems hitting just around town... And i haven't lowered mine.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

TheMeaningOfLife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
If its that close on the stock springs, i wouldnt move it. Or sell ur rims get 16s or 17s and lower it for a better look.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
drop that hoe mineskitted with dropzone springs..
also what tire size are u running?
i have 225/40/18 and as of driving when i didnt have a kit didnt scrape but ull learn how to drive once u drop it
pimpalero2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Trickyslick
V.I.P. Member

Trickyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice. I always think they look nicer lowered. You could always buy a set of stock springs and cut them try it out if it does not work then put your origional springs back in. Like everyone said you would get used to it and learn how to drive it properly.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231641/1

Last edited by Trickyslick : 10-17-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Trickyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
i got 18" wheels and intrax springs on, which do drop almost 2", with no problems ... im also running 225/40/18 tires
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by strtrydr View Post
i got 18" wheels and intrax springs on, which do drop almost 2", with no problems ... im also running 225/40/18 tires

she would be scrapping all over here. the bumps and the roads are so bumpy.....mine has problems not lowered with it even taking it easy
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
AJules
GLS member

Quote:

yeah, that's the same size as mine, and I notice you have the same kit

Before you lowered, did your rims seem too close to your wheel-well?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJules View Post
yeah, that's the same size as mine, and I notice you have the same kit

Before you lowered, did your rims seem too close to your wheel-well?

I think yours in lower than usual.....i mean, you barely have 2 inches, and you want to lower it 2 inches......it wont work.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
yeah ... i had almost 4" before i lowered it ... sounds like something is not right with your suspension if your already that low. If your car rides rough then you might wanna check your struts.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Some people prefer to bag it..... You can lower it as much as you want then. lol
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
dont bag it if you plan on getting the aas kit...

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
AJules
GLS member

Quote:
yeah ... i had almost 4" before i lowered it ... sounds like something is not right with your suspension if your already that low. If your car rides rough then you might wanna check your struts.

actually now that you mention it, it really does ride rough, I didn't think anything of it really, it's been like that same since I got the car.

i'll get it checked as soon as I can
Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJules View Post
actually now that you mention it, it really does ride rough, I didn't think anything of it really, it's been like that same since I got the car.

i'll get it checked as soon as I can

Yea, sounds like you have some bad struts. When your strut gets bad, there isnt any pressure in them, so it just stays down..... i cant really explain it too good in text, but yea sounds like a bad strut. Go to a trusted mechanic to put them in, or if your gonna do it...w/e. But make sure you go to someone you trust, because you never know if some places do a shitty alignment....
Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
AJules
GLS member

yep, you guys were right.... struts are definitely bad...

actually, a couple weeks after I got the car, I was thinking about getting some new springs but the guy at this performance shop reccommended some performance struts or something, and he told me they sold them for around 5-600+ dollars. Should I be looking at paying this much?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

my personal opinion ... either get KYB-GR2's or KYB-AGX's

The AGX's are adjustable on the dampening and the GR2's are just some really good struts ... and do both the springs and the struts at the same time (well atleast that is what I have been told.)
Old 10-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #17
AJules
GLS member

how much do they cost?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #18
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

they are listed on pfyc.com ... I dont remember what I paid for mine
Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #19
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
Bad struts is not going to effect your ride height, hell you could have no struts and the ride height would be the same, all struts do is dampen the bounce you get from springs. the springs is what holds all the weight of the car, and with time, can sag.

Did you ever see a old POS car stop at a light but then keep bouncing up and down (no not hydraulics), thats caused my bad struts.

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi
S1 lightweight 17s - Eclipse CD5435 - Sirius radio - 6000K HIDs - LED markers
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:49 AM   #20
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
question: Should you lower?

Answer: YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES (Edited for sake of Sanity ... )

Is your question answered?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177

Last edited by strtrydr : 10-20-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Way to many "YES" to keep Sanity ... lol
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote