Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Hunter2049

Shifting Problem

EDIT: Please skip to the last paragraph, as the first part of the problem's been solved....

Ok guys, here's the story. I'll give you some background, first, and then we'll move to today's problem:

Right around the first of the year I had to have the Intake Manifold replaced, threw in a new Thermostat, just for the hell of it. Everything's worked fine for a while, save a few minor problems.....lower than usual coolant about a week ago (no signs of leaking, none on the ground anywhere where I park, refilled, seems to be fine) got an oil change (just the usual 3,000 mile one) about a month ago, and yesterday I replaced the door locking relay. Unresolved problems include a passenger window that sometimes doesn't go down (my guess is a blown fuse/circuit breaker for the window in the passenger door) and a burned out fog light. Other than that, nothing much....until today.

So I go into Wal-Mart (laugh it up, gentleman, there's always low prices there and come out about an hour later to my car clicking when I try and start it. Dead battery, right? Except, all lights and the radio, etc., still work......I have it jumped, get it running, drive home with the car running fine. I did notice, however, that it felt like it was shifting a little slow....couldn't really recreate this much, but it felt like when it shifted up a grear the tachometer wouldn't go down at a regular pace. Got home, maybe, 15 minutes of the car running, so I shut it off. When I tried to turn it back on (immidiately), no luck, same constant clicking.

Now, what do we think, a battery? An alternator? Something worse Any ideas as to how much the cost for each (including labor, and not on the battery of course :P) would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT STARTS HERE: Ok, well, obviously (wow I feel stupid ) it was the battery, but now there's another problem. It seems, as I'd briefly mentioned before, that now when the car is shifting between first and second gears (possibly others, most notably first and second gears) it holds for a second (a bit of "lag," if you will). I have been told in the past that when you remove a battery/if the battery is dead that it may take some time for your car, or perhaps its computer to reset itself. Anyone have any thoughts on this or any ideas as to what may be wrong? Any way to manually reset this? Stupid questions I'm sure, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks again, hopefully this question doesn't make me feel as stupid as the last one did

~Alex
2001 Oldsmobile Alero
3.4 L V6

Last edited by Hunter2049 : 03-07-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Try retightening the battery cables as they may seem tight but somehow the battery connections loosen. I have heard this from several Alero/GrandAm owners including myself having this problem.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
alero168
I Love Tiara!

alero168 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero168
or could be time for a new battery since it is an 01
Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
battery is dead dumb dumb

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Hunter2049

Indeed it was, which brings us to another problem.........

It seems that now when the car is shifting between first and second gear it holds for a second (a bit of "lag," if you will). I have been told in the past that when you remove a battery/if the battery is dead that it may take some time for your car to reset itself. Anyone have any thoughts on this or any ideas as to what may be wrong?

Thanks again, hopefully this question doesn't make me feel as stupid as the last one did
Old 03-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes... The PCM has to re-learn so give it a short time.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
I would say just do a re-learn on your car and it should be fine

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
do a couple runs from 0-60 at wide open throttle and you shoudl be set

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote