Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
slownlow43
GX Member

slownlow43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Where do I look now?

Here's my issue. I was driving to work Friday when I noticed my temp guage creeping up. I turned on the heater and the temperature dropped. I found out that the fans aren't kicking on. I tried replacing all the relays and checked all the fuses and they were good. After searching on here I read that some of you guys were getting the fans to kick on if you turned the AC on. When I went to start the car to try that it was idling very rough and killed itself. Now when I try to start it it sounds like its intermittenly trying to fire. Any ideas what could be going on?

FWIW it's a 99 3.4 Alero. It's currently about 60 degrees here and cloudy/foggy/humid.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
slownlow43
GX Member

Update: Just went out to try and start it again, and it turned over and started, but started running rough immediately and kills itself within 5 or so seconds. I also heard a backfire while it was idling rough, not sure if that's a side effect of not getting enough fuel. And I do not hear the fuel pump running nor do I feel it vibrating the tank when the ignition is turned to on.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
bad spark maybe?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
slownlow43
GX Member

Actually my running issue was due to me forgetting to replace the fuel pump relay...oops. But I still haven't figured out what's going on with my fans. Any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
when my cooling fans quit working it was because the temp sensor was bad...that was on the ecotec but it is still a possibility
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
slownlow43
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
when my cooling fans quit working it was because the temp sensor was bad...that was on the ecotec but it is still a possibility
Did your temp gauge still work when that went bad?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
my temp gauge worked fine...for my car to test to make sure we unhooked the sensor and used a jumper wire to see if that made them come on before replacing the sensor
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
slownlow43
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
my temp gauge worked fine...for my car to test to make sure we unhooked the sensor and used a jumper wire to see if that made them come on before replacing the sensor
Thanks man, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
When my temp sensor went bad on my 3400, it caused the fans to stay on constantly. I'd recommend replacing the thermostat first and then the more expensive temp sensor. Its a fairly easy job to do both and its pretty cheap like $50 or less.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #10
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
yea if you have a bucket and do it nicely you can save the coolant and reuse it

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
thermostat will not cause the rough running

replace the ECT sensor, when i forgot to plug mine in the car took a while to start and then ran rough
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
slownlow43
GX Member

The car is no longer running rough. I forgot to replace the fuel pump relay when I was swapping out fan relays, and that's why it wasn't staying running. Although I will say that I'm surprised it tried to fire/run at all.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I really don't recommend arbitrarily throwing in new relays like that. Get wiring harness pieces from a junkyard and bench test them.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1

and

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ght=bcm+wiring