Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Merlyn
GX Member

Merlyn is on a distinguished road
Probably going to take a post maul to the amp...

Alrighty, I was just hooking my system up today. Got a small Pheonix amp, 250rms, Decent Sub that's getting replaced. and a new amp wiring kit.

I've got the Juice from the battery going to the amp, The ground from the amp to a steel nut/bolt in the trunk ( bare steel ) . The Batt cable is through the firewall and down along the doors, under the carpet. Before inserting all the audio RCA under the carpet I figured I test it. So I plugged in the RCA's on the HU, and on the amp annnnd... Boom nada, no noise, sound. Nothing.

Seems like the amps not getting any juice. On the amp I've got a connection labled REM, and on the HU, I tested it with the 12V Constant, still getting nothing.

Does anybody have ANY ideas?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Get a multimeter and test away!

The rem on the amp is for remote turn on FYI. If you jumped 12V from the + to the rem it should kick the amp on.

Does the amp have indicator lights so you know its on?

Is your main power cable fuses? Is the fuse good?

If your getting power to the back, maybe the ground isnt truly a ground...

If you have a meter you can test these things. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they usually have a cheapie for about $5. I bought mine years back and it still works perfect.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Merlyn
GX Member

Gonna try this stuff first thing in the morning. All fuzes are good.
I'll check the indicator - I never even though to look. ( I work nights and was doing this around noon)
So the remote turn on should be fine hooked up to the constant? That's where I'll test it then. But when all is said and done, where would you wire the rem wire?
Where did you place your ground wire? would I be able to drill a new hole in the useless steel under the 2 6X9's, and mount the ground there?
( with no paint of course )
Old 05-23-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
The amp should have a terminal for the remote wire which comes from the HU. If you dont have this connection, the amp will not turn on. For the ground wire, I hooked it up to the bolts that come up from the rear strut mounts using the nuts that are already there. Just peel away any paint you may have where you are grounding the amp.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
Merlyn
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley olds View Post
For the ground wire, I hooked it up to the bolts that come up from the rear strut mounts using the nuts that are already there. Just peel away any paint you may have where you are grounding the amp.

Where could I locate the strut mounts?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Near the rear seats in the trunk, pull the carpet back and look for some bolt.

It'll look something like this.

I'm confused, though, there's no 12V on the remote wire at the HU? I would just connect the amp's remote wire to the HU's red wire, this will turn on the amps exactly the same.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
Merlyn
GX Member

Hehe, I ran the HU's red and yellow wires together, instead of jumping into the ignition ( or something else ). So0o, this is where the amp is going to get it's juice indicator.

Helpful pic!
Old 05-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

You what?

Post some pictures before your car burns to the ground. DOesnt sound good at this point... lol
Old 05-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
ryan... i think in your "off time" you should post a very thorough, detailed, picture by picture HOW TO of how to setup a radio and amp. (not that a bunch don't exist online)

as well as an update to common issues/solutions.

----------------------------------

combining your red/yellow isn't a good idea.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
:/ If you tied the red/yellow together then the radio will always be on.. sounds like a good way to kill the batt.

Quit bein lazy and run the red to a switched power source!!
Old 05-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
For remote, if your HU doesnt have the rem wire, hook the amp to the wiper fuse on the drivers side. And for the HU, didnt you use the wiring harness? Cus if you did HU install should be plug and play.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #12
Merlyn
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
Quit bein lazy and run the red to a switched power source!!

It's gonna happen! Tuesday or wednesday, with pics!
And it only stays on when I forget to shut it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley olds View Post
For remote, if your HU doesnt have the rem wire, hook the amp to the wiper fuse on the drivers side. And for the HU, didnt you use the wiring harness? Cus if you did HU install should be plug and play.

You'd think so wouldn't you? Everything on the harness works, except the ignition wire from the HU, and the sub. Which is the real issue I'm having.
To be honest the ignition wire is going to be moved, that was only temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
You what?

Post some pictures before your car burns to the ground. Doesnt sound good at this point... lol

It won't burn I used 18 GA but connectors, not scotch tape.
I am going to disconnect the Amps batt power though...I'm not feeling good about that at all...

I may have found the issue though..Gonna give it a try in the morning! Found the Amp Remote cable on the back of the HU, it was hiding...
Old 05-24-2009, 12:19 AM   #13
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlyn View Post
Hehe, I ran the HU's red and yellow wires together, instead of jumping into the ignition ( or something else ). So0o, this is where the amp is going to get it's juice indicator.

Thats the scary part...

IDK what the hell youre trying to say/express. If you are trying to un your amp off these wires for power, youre nuts.

I guess thats my point.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #14
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
I've hooked these up a ton and I'm honestly confused as to what he's trying to say too...from what i gathered, he didn't hook up the remote wire to anything, thus its not turning on and maybe while wiring the headunit, he wired the remote wire to the ignition wire?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:59 AM   #15
Merlyn
GX Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleN0alero View Post
I've hooked these up a ton and I'm honestly confused as to what he's trying to say too...from what i gathered, he didn't hook up the remote wire to anything, thus its not turning on and maybe while wiring the headunit, he wired the remote wire to the ignition wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
IDK what the hell youre trying to say/express. If you are trying to un your amp off these wires for power, youre nuts.

Both of you got it, but I figured out what I'm going to do now, I fricked up the Amp rem wire on the HU, so I can fix that tomorrow. Annnd I'm going to take the switched power and run it to something other than the 12V constant. Wipers was an idea?...Something in the Driver side fuze box...
Old 05-24-2009, 02:13 AM   #16
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Dude, its sooo simple...the "rem" wire on the back of the headunit...run a wire from there back to the rem input on the amp...and you're done. Amp turns on when your radio turns on and turns off when it turns off...no need to be tapping into much of anything. + goes straight to the batter - goes to ground, rem goes to the HU and the signal travels through red and white rca's. Thats all you need...i would recommend running the power from the battery down the drivers side of your car and running the red and white rca's down the passenger side. You might catch some hum otherwise, not always though.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #17
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes run power and rcas on seperate sides
Old 05-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #18
Merlyn
GX Member

Yar, I've got power to the amp now, the little indicator light is running now. No sound from the sub however - that's a job for the daylight, so I'll have a look later this morning.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:49 AM   #19
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
You have amp turned up at all also rcas connected and sub wire on amp then to the box subs wired in box the rcas connected to deck in about that order
Old 05-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #20
Merlyn
GX Member

The only thing there that I'm not certain of is what happening inside the sub box. I bought it used, so who knows. I'll check the settings on the amp as well

Last edited by Merlyn : 05-24-2009 at 03:57 AM. Reason: sp
Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote