Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Exclamation Quick Opinions Needed!!

I got my 6.5s replaced, and the new ones have a lightly larger basket, magnet, and depth.

So I have to grind the hole bigger in the 4x6 spot to fit them. (no biggie) but they mount, with the adapter plate) and are still like an 0.5" off the plate, while touching the window frame behind the speaker.

My question, do i go ahead and mount them like that... or should I cut out the plastic old speaker "grille" and flush mount them in the door.

This is what they look like...

and I have the option of these grilles... (i'm leaning toward the spider, but the mesh would look cleaner and provide better protection)

I kinda want to mount then infront of the door, since the last ones were apparently mounted incorrectly, and the woofer rubber tore because of that. mounting upfront would prevent that completely... but it might look like ass.. hence my asking.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
really.... nothing? (i know its a short term bump... but i'd like to get some kinda response...)
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
You taking about cutting out the 4x6 plastic grill that is on the door panel itself or ?
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Come on! I replied over a minute ago
Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

yes. remove that, and put the speaker in its place. so the front of the speaker is on the front of the door.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
AGT
GLS member

Sure like a kick panel speaker size without the kickpanel? I would just get kickpanels. They protect aren't too costly and look good. I like the upgrade idea but I would just keep both and have some amazing front speaker sound as long as you got something in the trunk that the girls like to ride if you know what I mean.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

...and now its been 2 mintues since i replied! come'on dude!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
AGT
GLS member

Refresh jerk I am not gonna type it again

The anger is killing me haha
Old 07-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

essentially... mounted like this, just w/o the fiberglassing...

... or the crossover...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
AGT
GLS member

It could look good if it has that angle just right but right now you still have the door panel like stock which is has its pros and cons. Its personal choice boss but I think something looks good when it appears to grow in size. It "looks" like 4x6s going into 6.5s. Got me?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

can't say i follow....
Old 07-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
AGT
GLS member

from the doors to the kick panels. Kick panels are larger speaker size. What do you have in the door panels right now?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

right now? nothing. i HAD the last set of 6.5s in there, but one tore, so i had them replaced. These new ones are the warranty replacements, and are a little larger, since the old ones, were the discontinued verisons.

i can't go with kick panels, since i'd always have my left foot resting on it...
Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
AGT
GLS member

Oh then yeah I would go with something like the spider design but not the spider. The mesh is okay but I think it looks a little too large microphonish
Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
cherrington17
Gone

those are the two that came with it... so its all i have to work with right now...

but given the situation, your saying mount them on the outside, instead of behind the door?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
cherrington17
Gone

shit...shit...shit.

now i've got some problems... mounting on the outside will look dumb, unless i'm missing something with how it'll fit. (damn curvy speaker part)

(i'm not looking to invert mount, thats just to show the size difference between the hole, and the speaker front)

again.. size difference...

and just mounting it as is, behind the door will result in the same issue i had before, since the woofer still touches part of the door.

I don't know how to fiberglass, so making new pods is out. (no time, money, skills) and if i want to mount them on the inside, i have to cut out alot of the the extra metal (the white traced line) just so they won't touch the door plastic and tear again....

anyone know what to do? Please tell me i'm missing something here, and its much easier then it looks....
Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #17
cherrington17
Gone

so i'm wondering how i could smooth out the front and flush mount them (w/o having them point toward the firewall and look dumb)

or if i'm really stuck cutting out all that metal?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
AGT
GLS member

I think someone mentioned Kickpanels but that idea was thrown out hmmm.

I guess you will have to cut metal unless you think the mount will be good enough with the speakers inverted.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
cherrington17
Gone

yeah... definitely don't want to invert them. if i was richie, i could pull it off... but since i am not, and i don't have that kinda work done...

seriously...

where does my foot go then? i have nearly 4' long legs.. i'm not gonna sit there w/ it bent all the time. and in the winter, i bet it'll be good for my boot to be sitting on top of the speaker, dripping salty sludge on it. yeah, no. can't do kicks.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
stumped on this one lol..

it looks like even if you did cut the metal out and mount it on the inside.. would the magnet on the speaker clear everything in the door?

I just dont see that speaker fitting in the 4x6 hole.. not because of size.. but because of how the area on the door panel is shaped.. its def. gonna take a bit of work-

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote