Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
adjennin
GX Member

adjennin is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with Springs

Well its been a couple days since I had the new struts/springs installed and I must say I am not real happy with the Eibachs. The ride is extremely harsh with the performance struts and I have them adjusted to the softest setting. I am considering going back to stock springs unless there is a better option. I have read that Intrax springs have a nicer ride. Has anyone used both? Would switching to Intrax make much of a difference?

Also my ride height is all out of wack. The fronts are actually .625 inches higher than the rears. There is another post about this issue with the Eibach/ecotec combo so I am apparantly not the only one.
adjennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #2
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
your main problem is the struts. i had eibach with stock struts, while the ride was more harsh than stock. it was still very comfortable
Old 08-10-2006, 02:25 AM   #3
xspeedrushx

While I am still quite angry at Eibach for the lack of thinking about the fact that the ecotec weighs less than a 3400 , my springs do feel comfortable with my stock struts. They're still in good shape.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:39 AM   #4
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
you should be mad at yourself. eibach are more performance oriented springs.

if you were after lowering the car a substantal amount you shouldve gotten intrax or sprint springs.

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
adjennin
GX Member

I should have mentioned that I replaced the struts with KYB AGXs at the same time. I have them adjusted down tot he softest setting right now and it is still very harsh. I can feel my brain rattle when I hit a decent bump. It does handle like nothing I have ever driven before though. I am sure it would be great for the track but not for bumpy roads and daily driving. I am just wondering if switching to Intrax would make any difference as far as ride comfort goes or should I switch back to stock springs and tweak the struts to a decent level of firmness.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
Lovestheh20

well if you get sick of them, I would trade you my settled-in sprint springs and some $. they are very low and humbling, I bet with those AGX struts the ride would be much better than the one I get with sensatracs...otherwise I would say go intrax.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
adjennin
GX Member

The sprints are probably a bit too low for me with the roads around here. I will probably have the Eibachs up for sale or trade pretty soon here though. I will let you know.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
where do you live?

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:49 AM   #9
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjennin View Post
I should have mentioned that I replaced the struts with KYB AGXs at the same time. I have them adjusted down tot he softest setting right now and it is still very harsh. I can feel my brain rattle when I hit a decent bump. It does handle like nothing I have ever driven before though. I am sure it would be great for the track but not for bumpy roads and daily driving. I am just wondering if switching to Intrax would make any difference as far as ride comfort goes or should I switch back to stock springs and tweak the struts to a decent level of firmness.

I looked around a little for the KYB AGX's and couldn't find anything. The actual KYB site says the AGX's are not even available for N-bodies...only the GR2's. Anyone else have AGX's and if so where'd you get them?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #10
mfuller

I just picked up a set of AGX's from www.shox.com. You have to search for Grand Am parts though.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #11
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Lifes funny that way...just beacuase you pay more for popular brand name items doesn't mean they are always better than the cheap one...possibly worse.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
I just picked up a set of AGX's from www.shox.com. You have to search for Grand Am parts though.

You got a part number for those AGX's ... I was looking at those when i put my Intrax springs on but they were not available for our platform ... I would really like to upgrade to the AGX's
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #13
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
so there is no confusion...

AGX > GR-2 correct?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #14
megabyte
GX Member

megabyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Are there any other good struts available except for the KYB's?
megabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
so there is no confusion...

AGX > GR-2 correct?

Yes...you can adjust the dampening with the AGX's and the GR-2's are preset dampening.
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 PM   #16
adjennin
GX Member

Just to give everyone an update, I drove across 4 states in the last week and about 1000 miles on these new struts and springs and now that they have broken in, I really love them. This is an awesome combo if you are looking for a really firm ride.

And for whoever asked, the part numbers are 734056 & 734057.