Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 03-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
bassboss
GX Member

bassboss is an unknown quantity at this point
as it says in the topic, my security light will not go out. it's on constantly. But it doesn't affect the car starting. even the remote start is working fine.

Can anyone tell my what the heck is going on here?

FYI: 2.2l 5pd
bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
ignition solenoid. eventually, your car wont start and the light will stay on for about 10 minutes and then you will be able to hopefully start the car. i know this cause it happened to me.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
pimpnalero99

if you look in your manual it should tell u how to bypass the security light. just look up security light in your manual. i think u have to turn your ignition to on and then shift into park, reverse, nuetral, drive, etc...... i forget how i did it b/c this happened to me a year ago. just check your manual.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
bassboss
GX Member

thanks guy's. I'll try it tonight and see what happens.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Coupe

I dont think its in your manuel. There is nothing you can do but replace the ignition cylinder.
What will eventually happen is you will go to start your car and it wont start and the security light will start flashing. Leave your key in the ON position for 10 minutes or until the light stops flashing. The light will actually stay on for another 20 secoonds but wont be flashing. After that 20 seconds the light will disspear. After it dissapears turn your key back to the off position. Then try to start your car, it should fire right up.
I have been dealing with this for 3 years, im just lazy and havent replaced the ignition cylinder, its not hard to fix.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe@Mar 9 2006, 09:20 AM
I have been dealing with this for 3 years, im just lazy and havent replaced the ignition cylinder, its not hard to fix.
but it is expensive
Old 03-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Try a new key first. The cut of the key wears down over time making the key cause the light to come on

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
bassboss
GX Member

I would rather go the cheep route if at all possible.

Just a question. could it have anything to do w/my 555L bypass causing this.

and another thing i realized is that it doens't happen every time i start the car. and if it is on when i start the car it will sometimes (most of the time) go out while i am driving. and vise versa.

hopefully there is a simple explaination to this.

when it gets warmer out i think i am going to take out the remote starter and bypass and try to re-install it.

thanks for the help guys.

and any more opions are more than welcome.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
well i'm in the process of reinsstalling my alarm/remote start my securyity every once and a while comes on for 5 or 10 min then turns off other then that i have 2 brand new keys but trying to get the rats nest from under the center console

adam
Old 03-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #10
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
There are different versions of the passlock. I think the older version uses a resistor in the key, while the newer version uses the ignition cylinder. The keys were a pain and wore out like a previous post stated. However, they were cheaper. You simply replaced the key. My sisters grand prix had this issue. My wifes grand am had the passlock that used the ignition cylinder. When it went out, the ignition and drivers side door lock had to be replaced. I believe it was over four hundred. One of the things the mechanic told us was that heavy key chains will damage the ignition. He also stated that the remote starters were a common cause. Apparantly, if the starter is poor quality and starts to fail it will damage the ignition resistor as well. I have no idea how true it is. I just know that I specificly bought the higher end alero because it did not have passlock.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #11
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
to heavy of keychains yes that is a factor too.. i stil only have my keyfob and the key on one ring atleast the one i drive with.. back up key i keep on my other keychain with all my house keys and work keys.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:39 PM   #12
1WhiteOSV

MANY N-bodies have this problem....mine did..my friends did...and numerous others on the forums........a lot of them had to deal with weather (i.e. came on everytime it rained or washed car) and some were random.......you can try doing a security re-learn (usually only works when car wont start and security light is flashing):
turn key to ON position and let sit for at LEAST 10 minutes (no less)
turn key to OFF position
turn key to crank and start car.....IF it doesnt start then turn key back one click to ON position and repeat 1st and 2nd steps till the car starts

ALL Alero's use the PassKeyII (PassLockII) system and it's all integrated in the key cylinder there is no chip or anything on the key itself...the resistor in the key like you see on mid-90's GM's is called the VATS system........
if the security light does not go out but it's still starting, try having another key made and make sure you dont have a lot of crap on your keychain...also as a last resort..a dealership can clear the code if it's just the light....I did that (was never charged).......if the problem continues, you will need a new key cylinder (about $300-500)...most dealerships will tell you that you NEED this right off the bat....dont let them f* you..just ask them to clear the code and see if it comes on again then go from there