Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 07-20-2004, 05:26 PM   #1
ShortysTRM

first, will the solid motor mounts work on an automatic, and if so, will I notice as big of a difference? where can I get the urethane caulk to fill them with if I decide to go the cheap way and will it be nearly as good? Is it difficult to caulk them or install new ones?

second, would I notice much of a difference with the AEM pulley? I think it's an alternator pulley, so I doubt so, but I thought I'd check. Anyone who has installed any pulleys on the 2.4: is it difficult?
Old 07-21-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
i wanna know about the caulking too...i don't have funds to spring for the real mount just yet, but i figure i could see a small difference anyways...any how to's?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
ShortysTRM

through some research I found out that you can use 3M window weld urethane caulk and a caulking gun. The guy said that he spent 10.99 on the caulk at advance auto parts and 1.99 on the caulking gun at wal-mart. Not a bad mod, plus you can probably caulk your friends' with the same tube, unless it takes a lot of it. He just filled in all the gaps with it and then completely filled in each side...just look up urethane caulk motor mounts or something on google. I looked at the alternator pulley and it's friggin tiny, so I dunno how much of a difference it would make to make it lighter and bigger. I didn't think they caused too much resistance in the first place...? If anyone has ever caulked their mounts (lol) please tell us about it!! I wanna know if it's near as stiff. The RSM racing 3.4 mount is nice, but $150 plus 60 core charge is a bit high for a motor mount. Does Energy Suspension not make one??
Old 07-23-2004, 12:37 AM   #4
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the 3.4 mount on my car and it does work. There is definetly a difference with the vibration in the car. But what do you think solid mounts do. But I it has also stiffened up the motor for sure cause it wants to move but it just cant.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:30 PM   #5
ShortysTRM

I knew that it would cause more vibration, that's obvious. That RSM mount is just too expensive for my taste, unless it is some type of amazing mod. I may caulk the mount just to keep the motor from trying to flex once we get our header on. I wanna know more about what type of gains to expect and how much stiffer RSM is than a caulked mount, if at all.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the RSM mount will be stiffer than caulk.

how much of gain can only be tested on dyno because it helps put more power to the ground by keeping the motor steady.

but mounts don't add hp.

far as how much stiffer........well we just recently found out the 3400 mount works. so nobody knows. unless you want to do some testing.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:20 PM   #7
ShortysTRM

well, I got overexcited and bought the caulk and a Hayne's manual anyways. This appears to be an easy job, as does the header install. I wonder if I'll need a flex-pipe for the header?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:07 PM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
you will need new downpipe.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:39 AM   #9
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

shortystrm, lemme know how hard it is to get the caulking in the mounts
Old 07-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #10
ShortysTRM

downpipe...? This isn't a turbo alero or anything...if you mean the pipe from the header to the cat, "it comes with it", but you have to cut the stock exhaust just before the cat and clamp it or weld it. However, if there is something I didn't mention here or I am mistaken, please tell me. I dunno how long I need to let the caulk set up before I can reinstall it.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 AM   #11
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

how did the mounts turn out? i'm anxious to know if i attempt this or not