Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-31-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
dustyd63
GX Member

dustyd63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dustyd63
Thermo opening late - V6

My '99 Alero has about 95k on it now and has learned a new trick - overheating and boiling all of the antifreeze out of the tank.

At first it wasn't overheating - just blowing, so I replaced the tank cap, thinking that maybe it was shot and not holding pressure
About two days after that, the thermostat starts to not open once in a while, and then it quickly progresses into opening late every time - usually the needle was up to 3/4 before it would open... meanwhile, there's no heat until it opens and it's wintertime right now. Very cold.

To remedy this problem, I replaced the thermomstat Wed. night. Now, only a couple days later, however, it's opening late again (needle at 2/3 or so) and blowing all of the antifreeze.

I'm really getting sick of a sweet smelling car. Too much burning antifreeze (although I guess it's better than oil).

I'm not sure what else I'm overlooking - Ideas??

Thanks!!
dustyd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you check to see if your lower intake manifold gasket is leaking? Because I had trouble with overheating and the sweet smell when mine was leaking.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
dustyd63
GX Member

I don't seem to have a problem with any leakage. There is no evidence outside the engine (except on everything surrounding the blow-off hose) and the oil level is close enough to normal that it doesn't seem to be leaking to the inside.

I'm now thinking the water pump for one main reason... my heat. If the engine starts to overheat, all of a sudden I have no heat in the car - it's like all pressure through the core is gone. As soon as something kicks, though, the operating temp goes back to normal and I have heat again - pretty much instantaneously for both.

Granted, I havn't heard of a water pump coming and going - normally, don't they just leave and never come back? But I've had enough other really quirky suff happen on this car that I'm seriously considering it.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
could be air trapped into the coolant system, make sure your the coolant levels are ok.

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi
S1 lightweight 17s - Eclipse CD5435 - Sirius radio - 6000K HIDs - LED markers
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
dustyd63
GX Member

Yeah... That's what it was at first, but now parts are failing. I fill the coolant tank up and drive into work (10 mi or so) to get rid of air, but it still acts up on the way home.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
olds2race
GX Member

olds2race is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to olds2race
Did you check to make sure you have the right thermostat? When you get a thermostat from the parts store they just give you whatever their computer tells them. most thermostats have a number stamped on them that tells you at what temp they will open. you may have one that opens at a hotter temp then what the car needs. Also make sure that the system IS holding presure. sometimes the coolant tank will develope a seam leak that will not aloow it to presurize properly until it gets too hot.
olds2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
I am having the same problem, its the lower intake manifold. My stepdad put my car up on ramps, looked under the car and saw a leak, but yeai had the same problems as you, its the infamous LIM leak, im getting it fixed thursday, TRY NOT TO DRIVE YOUR CAR TOO MUCH with the leak.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I concur with everybody else

You either have "the Leak" or the wrong thromo

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
dustyd63
GX Member

The thermostat is set for 195 degrees, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I already checked for leaks and didn't see any, but I'll look again. I'm sure that if it's dumping tanks of coolant that I'd have seen it, though.

It's currently sitting... The cooling is completely shot - doesn't work at all. I'll have to fix this before I can drive it again - which means tonight.

Thanks for all the input!