Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
Pacho

Front PFYC Swaybar Install Question

Has anyone on here done a front pfyc swaybar install w/hand tools and no air tools? trying to figure out if i should take this to a shop and have them do it, not to save the trouble cause i have no problem attempting this myself, have done everything else on my alero myself except welding jobs, just seeing if its possible even to loosen the 180 ft/lb screws laying down under some jacks with a hand wrench. And for those that have done it, how many jacks/jacklifts did you use to lower the subframe and support it?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Pacho

anyone done this, hand or air tools?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Mine's going to a shop to do it. I could probably do the rear in my driveway no problem, but then it's not a good idea to have a beefier rear bar than the front.

I think, (not 100%) there is a way to snake it in the spot without dropping the subframe

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
but then it's not a good idea to have a beefier rear bar than the front.
Sure it is. Especially on a FWD car that understeers a lot. Just the larger rear bar will give it a little more oversteer to even out the handling a little. Actually a lot of FWD owners upgrade only the rear bar just for that reason.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
Pacho

not dropping the subframe and fittin in there, thats a first, shlt if thats the case that would save all the time going getting 4 more jacks, jacklift, 180 ft/lb able torque wrench, air tools etc. Let me know if you hear anything more about that when your talking to your mechanic or anybody about the install.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
mfuller

You MUST drop the front subframe to get the bar out; no way around it, I've done it 4 times......well, I had my mechanic do it 4 times. Not a job you want to do if you don't have a lift and air tools.