Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-29-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
Blue87
GX Member

Blue87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Blue87
3.4 V6 Auto

Ever since I installed the CAI, i noticed the shift point is way later going from 1st to 2nd when i gun it. If i hold it to the floor it will redline... which sucks cuz i dont wanna blow my engine so i dont gun it anymore...

Is there a way to change the shift points so i can get from 1st to 2nd a bit faster?

Thanks guys

- 3400 V6 4Door
, DocSpeed Cold Air Intake, White-Faced Guages, Cleared Corners, Pinstriped Tails, "Alero" 3rd Brake Light, Shaved Badges, and handled with care... sometimes
Blue87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
ryanthefizz
GL Member

ryanthefizz is an unknown quantity at this point
should have 1, 2, 3, D on the floor shifter, do it yourself.. thats a free solution.

and mine will almost redline without a CAI when i gun it. dont think its hurting anything majorly. just keep an eye on the temp gauge and keep your nose open for burning smells.
ryanthefizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
Blue87
GX Member

not sure that works cuz if i throw it up to 2... the car still has its own choice when to shift between only those two gears. so it will shift when it wants to

The numbers 1,2,3,D dont correspond to the gear u want it to be in... it limits the car to which gears it can select.

- 3400 V6 4Door
, DocSpeed Cold Air Intake, White-Faced Guages, Cleared Corners, Pinstriped Tails, "Alero" 3rd Brake Light, Shaved Badges, and handled with care... sometimes
Old 04-29-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
ryanthefizz
GL Member

ryanthefizz is an unknown quantity at this point
really? hmm i gues i have to try shift early and see what happens, never used them when i didnt want to go fast :P
ryanthefizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Crolero

dont worry you wont blow your engine up. the stock internels can handle up to 7k rpm (correct me if im wrong) gun it all you want. the only thing you will be wasting is gas.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:19 PM   #6
Blue87
GX Member

K thx Crolero! Now i can gun it all the time! im excited next weekend im taking the girl to the track for some runs... betcha i get high 15s woot!! lol

- 3400 V6 4Door
Old 06-14-2005, 12:55 AM   #7
Talon69ca

Mine hits redline with every shift (WOT) but if I do likes posted above and shift "manually" it does not shift from say 2-3 on its own the govenor kicks in...I find there is no point in shifting "manually" as it shifts perfect redline every time.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:24 AM   #8
RedAlero02

Quote:
Originally posted by Crolero@Apr 29 2005, 11:52 AM
dont worry you wont blow your engine up. the stock internels can handle up to 7k rpm (correct me if im wrong) gun it all you want. the only thing you will be wasting is gas.

Is that for the ecotec too?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:25 AM   #9
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
that goes for any engine with the auto tranny. keep the gas pedal to the floor and it will shift at redline in every gear, until you hit the speed limiter.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:33 AM   #10
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
thats a new one, CAI changes shift points
Old 06-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #11
UnoWHO

Hmm Ive noticed that when you gun it, itll shift quick at the redline, but if you are just driving it shifts in total different points and way slower...hows that for gas mamagement lol go olds!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #12
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
your car has a 6k rev limiter. so your car will cut out if you try to go anyhigher, so dont worry about damage. it should shift at 5800 stock. now if you just change the cai, then your first run out there and you go WOT. you could hit the rev limiter before you shift because the computer doesn't have time to adjust for the differences, with mine it got right to 6k on the shift. that goes away
Old 06-14-2005, 12:31 PM   #13
misslindseysue

Quote:
Originally posted by UnoWHO@Jun 14 2005, 07:10 AM
Hmm Ive noticed that when you gun it, itll shift quick at the redline, but if you are just driving it shifts in total different points and way slower...hows that for gas mamagement lol go olds!

Your Alero shares a trans cal with the Malibu, Grand Am, and a Saturn, depending on what year it is. And yes, the shift pattern does depend on more variables than you could think of. Fuel ecomony is one thing that is taken into consideration when making the cal, but durability and shift feel are first.

Spilner is right, at WOT it shifts off engine rpm.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:21 AM   #14
Blue87
GX Member

hey CroAlero, u said to correct u if ur wrong so here ya go... in early June i blew my motor... heres the thread.
http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?sho...14&#entry206414

Two days ago i got her back with a 100,000 mile warrentied GM crate motor. im taking it easy on this engine

- 3400 V6 4Door
Old 07-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #15
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
i really REALLY doubt its cuz you were runnin WOT too much...my 2.4 5spd, i get 'er up to the rev limiter alot when i'm just messin around and makin noise...and haven't had a single problem yet...up to about 115k miles...