Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
killed my 3rd set of breaks

i have 50k on my 2001 and want to take it to woodward and a few other placeses but my breaks die after 15k. my last sed did not warp like my last but i did grind the rotors. lent the car to my mom for 2 months. i am thinking of going with a aftermarket setup. are there any? and what do they cost?
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
there are many different setups you could so. how aggressive are you planning to drive? the corvette system might work good for you cause from the sounds of things its pretty damn aggressive.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
I'm on my 3rd set of rotors, too, with each of the 1st 2 lasting me less than 30K miles. This past summer when my 2nd set warped just like my first, Redog turned me onto the Slotted & Drilled rotors that Summit sells. Great, yet inexespensive, rotors that won't (or rarely will) warp. Plus they add a bit of a "performance look" to the car.

Both Redog & Summit recommended ceramic pads, but I'm finding that those don't grab & wear the same like regular pads do. When these wear out I'm going back to regular pads, but will stick with the S&D rotors.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Beholder88
GL Member

Beholder88 is on a distinguished road
My brakes are horrid right now. Just going like 30mph in the city, if I just tap the brakes my whole car shakes. I'll be buying the R1 Concept rotors and some ceramic pads at the end of the month when I get paid. I also need to get new e-brake shoes, but those will come later.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beholder88 View Post
My brakes are horrid right now. Just going like 30mph in the city, if I just tap the brakes my whole car shakes. I'll be buying the R1 Concept rotors and some ceramic pads at the end of the month when I get paid. I also need to get new e-brake shoes, but those will come later.
Hahaha, sounds like my saturn, only my saturn is so bad that it throws my alignment off
Old 04-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beholder88 View Post
that's a bad case of warped rotors. Some people say you can't machine our rotors back to smooth again. I say...Overload your car with something heavy and go to an empty parking lot and cruise and slam on the brakes. that will smooth them out a little bit. (worked for me! 20 bags of rocks, 50 pounds each, filling my back seat, no more warped rotor. stops quietly now too.)
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoMonkeyRat View Post
that's a bad case of warped rotors. Some people say you can't machine our rotors back to smooth again. I say...Overload your car with something heavy and go to an empty parking lot and cruise and slam on the brakes. that will smooth them out a little bit. (worked for me! 20 bags of rocks, 50 pounds each, filling my back seat, no more warped rotor. stops quietly now too.)

Interesting. Are you serious?
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Woodward, dude. Come to ASS! I didn't know you were in MI. This is his car:

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
^^^^^^Thats a nice alero!

the things i would do to get a CF cowl hood
Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

my major problem is the slider pins will lock up and kill the rotors. that is what did it to my first 2 sets the 3rd i put power slot rotors and akebono on the car lasted about 20k. i want sothing with good sliderpins

actuley i have a red one now that is painted. that one gpt spme dammage and had to replace it. it was a pita to get done for many reasons aka fighting with my insurance.

actuley i need to have the whole car re painted. and my drivers window re tinted it broke when the cheap plastic clips broke. and a new set of rims. thoes are 5 years old and olny look ok.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

here is a link to my other car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJtBq-_aZ2Y
Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
MattismodderX
GLS member

MattismodderX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MattismodderX
if your car squeaks like hell when u tap the brakes. think of it as a musical instrument!
Old 04-18-2009, 01:37 AM   #13
jrim
GL Member

jrim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jrim
mine shakes a lot too when i brake.. it's rotors? not pads or anything?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #14
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
^Yeah, shaking is clue #1 that the rotors are warped. I don't understand why our stock rotors don't last worth a crap on our cars since I NEVER had issues of warped rotors in over 320,000 combined miles between my Daytona and my Camaro. If anything, when those rotors had to be replaced it was simply because they were too worn down.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #15
99 SVT Bolt
GX Member

99 SVT Bolt is on a distinguished road
Did you torque the lug nuts correctly? Improper tightning of the lug nuts can cause the rotors to warp.
99 SVT Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
^your thinking overtigtening. If you do the final by hand or a torque stick that doesn't happen it only happens when people put an impact on without a torque stick and go to town on it. the usual problem is the fact that they are stock gm rotor replacements, or they didn't get broke in properly.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote