Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Fabian_7s
GX Member

Fabian_7s is on a distinguished road
Bad ECU

Hey guys today i just found out the ecu on my car is bad and isn't sending a signal to the fans to turn on when it's hot. I was wondering if i can get a used ECU same year and model from a junk yard or something and just plug it in or if i have to get it flashed
Fabian_7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
Salvage yard ECU's never work out right. Gotta go new. My fans have issues to so i just run defrost or A/C year round. Problem solved.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
Salvage yard ECU's never work out right.

I'd trust a junkyard ECU. It's not like it has moving parts.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
03Alerosil
GL Member

The VIN numbers have to match exactly as well as the set parameters inside the ECU and no 2 cars are exactly the same.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The VIN numbers have to match exactly as well as the set parameters inside the ECU and no 2 cars are exactly the same.

How so?
Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
03Alerosil
GL Member

I've seen it myself. You can take the ECU out of an exactly identical vehicle but because 1 VIn number is different, it won't work. I swapped an engine out of a 2002 Durango into a 2003 Durango and the PCM was different. Damnest thing. Even the security wouldn't work right.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
I have used a few different Junkyard PCMs, some have worked after adaption routines, some have not. Many can be re-used after a complete rewrite, but that requires programming capability for the original and replacement PCM. I have a stockpile of them right now, in fact.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
I've seen it myself. You can take the ECU out of an exactly identical vehicle but because 1 VIn number is different, it won't work. I swapped an engine out of a 2002 Durango into a 2003 Durango and the PCM was different. Damnest thing. Even the security wouldn't work right.

I would only get that type of thing from a donor vehicle the same year, same engine, same transmission. And yes I would expect it to work just fine with no extra work.