Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
I'm debating a swap 2.4 to??

I know that I can swap in anything I want really. I was first excited about a 3800 supercharged swap, but I hear that's a real nightmare. What makes it such a nightmare, I don't know?

So I'm presenting options and weighing the pros and cons of each. Keep in mind that I currently have a 2.4 so swapping in anything means transmission and motor together.

I could do any of the following.

Colbalt SS turbo 2.4

2.8 or 3.1 v6

3800 supercharged

or the aurora 4.0

The 3800 in my opinion is the most reliable engine that GM has ever built. The 3400's aren't bad either.

To do these swaps, will I need to swap my fuel pump and sending unit?

Will fuel lines need to be swapped?

Will I need to swap the radiator?

How much of the wiring harness needs to swap? Just under the hood? or do I need to pull the dash and replace every inch for the fuse box, ecm ect...

Right now I'm broke, so I'm just brainstorming and collecting information in case I decide to move forward with a swap idea down the road. Regardless, I don't want to spend a huge bucket of money if I do anything. I would buy a used drivetrain and parts just to do the swap.
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.

Last edited by fisdad : 04-04-2013 at 12:34 PM.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisdad View Post

2.8 or 3.1 v6

3800 supercharged

or the aurora 4.0

The 3800 in my opinion is the most reliable engine that GM has ever built. The 3400's aren't bad either.

To do these swaps, will I need to swap my fuel pump and sending unit?

Will fuel lines need to be swapped?

Will I need to swap the radiator?

How much of the wiring harness needs to swap? Just under the hood? or do I need to pull the dash and replace every inch for the fuse box, ecm ect...

Right now I'm broke, so I'm just brainstorming and collecting information in case I decide to move forward with a swap idea down the road. Regardless, I don't want to spend a huge bucket of money if I do anything. I would buy a used drivetrain and parts just to do the swap.

Any of these swaps will be a nightmare going into a 2.4 car. Duval and I have both swapped 3400's into 2.4 cars, idk about the specifics of his swap but I swapped fuel lines, brake lines (non abs into an abs equipped car), radiator, entire subframe with engine, trans, engine wiring harness, PCM. Then needed to repin the fuse block to get headlights (huge thanks to Duval for figuring that out) and run a wire to get it to crank and start correctly.

If I were to do it again I would use the harness for the entire car, not just the engine harness. My remote door locks still don't work and my rear speakers don't either. I'm sure there is more..
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
you didn't listed the easyest swap you can do... the 2,2 ecotec

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
guiguilandry, I think the OP wants to have a V6 powered Alero, but I would agree, a 2.2 Ecotec would be a lot easier on him, and with the M62 supercharger, he could in essence have a Cobalt SS.

Regardless, he would still have to change wiring harnesses. To have it foolproof, I would literally just rip out the whole wiring harness out of a 2.2 Ecotec Grand Am or Alero and then get a low mileage engine. L61's were everywhere.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
4.0 v8 all day if you can!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
If your going to do it I would say go big or go home. If your wanting something more conservative but a little more power I would say 3500, that way kinda keeping true to the alero but still get the little upgrades the 3500 has over the 3400. If your just wanting good gas mileage and a motor that will last forever, ecotec 2.2.
Put an LS2 with a 6sp in there good reliable v8, 400 horse stock and plenty or aftermarket options.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
I would look at these

2006–2009 Chevrolet Impala SS
2006–2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
2005–2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2008–2009 Buick LaCrosse Super
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
eff it dude go legit or go home... k23 turbo from the acura rdx
Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
no jap motors in an american car!

and the v8 screw that idea you know much it would cost just to make that thing work?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

What are the ecotecs based off of?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
if milzy hasn't found his test car for the 3.9 swap then I would talk to him...I can't remember the price that he quoted when I asked, but it didn't seem that bad for everything that had to be done
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
if milzy hasn't found his test car for the 3.9 swap then I would talk to him...I can't remember the price that he quoted when I asked, but it didn't seem that bad for everything that had to be done

This may be the way to go? At least I'd have help, but I'm not sure if I can go so long without my car lol.
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
if you need a vehicle i would wait to drop it off to milzy. (no offense to him of course)
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Tell him up front its your dd none of the 8 month stuff
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
if you need a vehicle i would wait to drop it off to milzy. (no offense to him of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post

Just have to buy a beater if I were going to do it.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:

hes got alot of cars ahead of him if he did, milzy cant drop all his other work to get ryans done only cause its his only car. hes gonna have to buy a beater to get by while it was gone. especially cause the 3900 probably hasnt been swapped in the alero yet it would take some time. especially with milzy's sched.

no offense to you ryan.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #17
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Obviously not a 3 month job though...
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
For the sake of not over complicating things, if i were you I would just work with the 2.4L. I think you're underestimating the potential of the Quad 4. Yes it would be more pricey to make quicker but it would reduce the risk of running into wiring issues and reduce the possibility of ending up with a half functioning swap. You could make a 2.3/2.4 hybrid which would be rather nice. Also swap in a GMPP 2.4 SC kit in a 2.3/2.4 hybrid would put you into the 200 HP range which wouldn't be bad... The SC kit does cost over 2 grand new but it would be a lot easier than what you're thinking of doing.

You are right in the sense that you can accomplish any swap, but the chances of success and getting everything in working order is less than working with what you already have. Not trying to discourage you, but I just think it's way more trouble than it's worth to go from 4 cyl to 6. I'd just sell the 4 banger and just upgrade to a GLS if you're set on a V6. Just my two cents.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #19
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Obviously not a 3 month job though...

yes but depends how his sched is. hes a little short staffed in my opinion atm and has quite a few cars in his shop.

doesnt really matter how quick of a job it is, its when he is able to stop on some cars to do his.

i know it can be a little crazy how long it takes but you gotta see from his point of view, hes getting alot of business right now, and it will be crazier once it gets warmer.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sleepyalero : 04-05-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #20
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Honesly ryan... the 3900 swap would be the same as a 3400 swap. Wiring transmission and mounts. A swap is a swap. The only diffrence is no one has done the 3900 swap

a. you could go stright with the the 6 speed
B. Its a torque/power monster right outta the gate
C. Its a newer and more reliable motor

Last edited by xXManwhoreXx : 04-05-2013 at 08:12 AM.
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote