Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 11-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
Bachert24
GX Member

Bachert24 is on a distinguished road
Multiple projects, need clarity on best methods

I'm working on a few projects and with there being so many threads about each, I would just like a like clarity on current best methods.

1. I'm getting a gauge overlay from whitefacegauges.net andes the same time i want to do the backlighting. Is the T10 method the best method, or is it best to get one of the many different 194 versions from superbrightleds? I'm going with a blue and I don't want uneven lighting.

2. Best method to change needle color? Are there other needles that will drop in like the fbody needles in the G/A?

3. Headlights, go with HID kit and call it good, or go with a projector with halo and led strip like I originally intended?

If i thinking anything else Ill post it later, this it's just a starter I think. There's a lot in the how-to section im considering doing soon.
Bachert24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
If you can achieve modifying the lights for projectors. Go for it.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:39 AM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
do some searching on here for changing needles. It's a delicate process but the results are fantastic. fisdad swapped his to some red needles out of something and they looked great.
Have fun with those overlays. Sounds like you got stickers? trust me, they are pita to line up. you want 194 bulbs for sure. if you are 03-04 you are lucky and the bulbs can easily be changed in and out of the sockets. if you are 99-02 then you'll need to get some with the twist-lock base. yes, can hack the sockets all to crap to extract the bulb and solder in your new one. But, that metal doesn't take solder for crap so unless you have a lot of experience and know the tricks don't even attempt it.
I've ran a DDM 55w kit in factory housings on 2 aleros, works fine for me. Like sleepy said, if you are willing to take on the task of a projector install, good luck and have fun!
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
Bachert24
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
If you can achieve modifying the lights for projectors. Go for it.

Yes I've done crazy amounts of research and it's easily within my skill level. I do lots of custom crap lol. Its fun and passes time!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Bachert24
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
do some searching on here for changing needles. It's a delicate process but the results are fantastic. fisdad swapped his to some red needles out of something and they looked great.
Have fun with those overlays. Sounds like you got stickers? trust me, they are pita to line up. you want 194 bulbs for sure. if you are 03-04 you are lucky and the bulbs can easily be changed in and out of the sockets. if you are 99-02 then you'll need to get some with the twist-lock base. yes, can hack the sockets all to crap to extract the bulb and solder in your new one. But, that metal doesn't take solder for crap so unless you have a lot of experience and know the tricks don't even attempt it.
I've ran a DDM 55w kit in factory housings on 2 aleros, works fine for me. Like sleepy said, if you are willing to take on the task of a projector install, good luck and have fun!

I have an 01. Papa smurf used the t10 bulbs and it looked super easy. I just wasn't sure that produced more even lighting than using some 194 sockets with leds pointing in every direction like what superbrightleds and other companies sell. Ill do more research on needles . I believe those gauge faces are stickers, but I'm really good at lining them up...plus i hate white faces and I can blue to match my car. Nobody makes faces for the Alero anymore. You can get the ugly ebay ones, the ones I'm getting, or you can pay blackcatcustoms $200+ for custom ones. Pretty slim picking nowadays lol.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:29 AM   #6
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Have you tried speedhut? a few years ago you could still customize a set of halo or reversed halo gauges.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute

love my speedhut set.... blue face with an option of blue or green lighting for night driving

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
Bachert24
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
Have you tried speedhut? a few years ago you could still customize a set of halo or reversed halo gauges.

Unfortunately they no longer do this 😢
Old 11-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Use these guys, email em. They will make you a set. http://www.blackcatcustom.com
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #10
Bachert24
GX Member

Quote:
Use these guys, email em. They will make you a set. http://www.blackcatcustom.com

I did they want $200! Thats some serious bank! Think it's worth it?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
Young Gun
GX Member

Young Gun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post

love my speedhut set.... blue face with an option of blue or green lighting for night driving

Oh snap didn't realize this was done other than white faced for the alerhos. That looks really nice. Still on my checklist of things I want to do to the GA
Old 11-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #12
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Do you have a U.S. spec car Tim? Just curious cause I noticed in the pic that you have the MPH gauge cluster instead of Km/h.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).

Last edited by That01Olds : 11-12-2015 at 09:30 PM.
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #13
sleepyalero
GLS member

No its kmh. Its just a mph face
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 PM   #14
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Haha Thanks guys.... i love these gauges.... my car is Canadian do the original cluster us in kmh... i bought this set used from another member years ago.... I'm not sure if it was a custom set or what but i love it.... I've got an interceptor scan gauge that i had calibrated on kmh so i know how fast I'm really going up here lol

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Old 11-13-2015, 12:51 AM   #15
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachert24 View Post
I did they want $200! Thats some serious bank! Think it's worth it?

Well you need to ask yourself. "how bad do i want this?"

Aside from that, they do really good work. I know a guy who has had them do multiple things for his GA.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #16
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is the how-to for the gauges.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ghlight=gauges

I am not sure if this is what you want though.

Here is the how-to for the needles.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ghlight=gauges

These are old threads, but have a lot of good info and pics.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #17
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

Quote:
Well you need to ask yourself. "how bad do i want this?"

Nothing more true than this especially when dealing with these cars.... almost everything is not a one off custom request.... definitely gotta pay to pay.... if you're looking to do a good set of projectors you're looking at around $450+... you can go cheap and under $100 but they won't be as good....

Old 07-04-2016, 12:22 AM   #18
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Haha Thanks guys.... i love these gauges.... my car is Canadian do the original cluster us in kmh... i bought this set used from another member years ago.... I'm not sure if it was a custom set or what but i love it.... I've got an interceptor scan gauge that i had calibrated on kmh so i know how fast I'm really going up here lol

Ahh gotcha. That makes sense then. Also sorry for the late reply. I've been MIA from the forum for a while lol.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote