Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 04-13-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
xspeedrushx

New CAI Idea in the making

I'm not really sure that I am the first to do this, but I'm going to share my idea with you guys either way. The basic idea here is to make a cold air intake without sticking the filter into the fender. First I moved the battery to where the factory air box was. That is as far as I got so far.
The next step is to customize a marine battery box to fit where the battery was originally mounted.
Next I will run tubing to the box from one side and place a cone filter inside the box.
The next step is to run another 3" tube out of the other side, into the fender without a filter on it.
The cover of the box will be clear plexi-glass (or lexan) so you can see the filter. The idea is to have Cold air intake with out worrying about hydro-lock in case of rain and without a bypass. I'll get pictures as I go. If any of you have any ideas I'm welcome to sugestions.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Very good idea. True cold air intake without putting the filter directly in the path of water and debris. Just get an AEM Dryflow air filter and it'll be the best intake you can put on a your car. I'm doing the same thing basically with my turbo Eco. Post up some pics when you get it done.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
xspeedrushx

Here's the pictures of my intake project.

Last edited by xspeedrushx : 04-25-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Creative
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

MixtapeMessiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to MixtapeMessiah
smart and creative, just switched the battery around.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Very nice. I like it

Post some more pics when it's done.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Any new pics yet?
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Question

Here's my question(s). What is the red tube for coming from off of the top of the engine I know it has something to do with the fumes or something in the engine being feed back in to be burned off, and did you get that tubing and coupler in a kit or how did you go about getting the materials for that together? Any info from anybody would be helpful relating to this. I just have a cone filter at the end of my factory ridged tubing and I am not happy with that at all, but its still beats the factory airbox. Lastly where did you plug your sensor in, because I don't see it in the pics anywhere?

Last edited by lonnie : 08-09-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Puncuation
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
greenbastard
GL Member

greenbastard is an unknown quantity at this point
the red tube is the breather for the crank case. you can just put a breather on there and you should be ok but plug the open hole on you CAI where the hose goes. the air sensor is on the side you can's see. the tube you can get at an automotive store. hoped this helped you abit, i'm not very good at explaining things when i don't have that engine.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
robz02alero
GL Member

robz02alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to robz02alero
because the filter is still in the engine bay area and i dont see anything resembling a hose blowing what would be cold air on the filter, isn't it still a WAI?
COMING HOME SOON
robz02alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by robz02alero View Post
because the filter is still in the engine bay area and i dont see anything resembling a hose blowing what would be cold air on the filter, isn't it still a WAI?

IDK, maybe he put a tube under that filter running into the fender???? that would be a good idea....bring the air up through the fender into the filter....
Old 09-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
he's still workin on it

if you read he's making a cold air box system
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Similar to what I have seen on the grand prix's.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:56 AM   #14
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Eh_nigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Eh_nigma
Just got me thinking about how I'm going to set my intake up. Very similar, although, instead of taking it in from up front, it'll come up and in through the hood (yes, meaning an off-center scoop). But, I just see too much on the roads to want to risk anything going into the intake that shouldn't.

In the end, it'll avoid the cone filter all together, and force the air through a box (mounted inside the hood). Air goes through the scoop, through the filter, into the "box". When the hood is closed, it'll match up and seal with another box connected to the air pipe going to the throttle body. By also moving the battery back, it gives me the added room to avoid the pipe curving around the engine, and keeping it forward for as long as possible to avoid a hot pipe. Just my 2 cents though.

As for the ideas coming up on this thread... I'm wondering why it hasn't really beed done or made available on mass yet. A simple idea, that makes things, well, for a lack of better words, simpler.
-Why the hell not?
Eh_nigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
darksobsession
GL Member

darksobsession is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to darksobsession
how did you secure the battery in the new position?
darksobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #16
Mr_Reed
GL Member

Mr_Reed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mr_Reed
great idea I like it man
Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread is over a year old guys.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
This thread is over a year old guys.

Thats not a big deal... The thing is...this guy NEVER posts. So good luck getting your question answered