Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
bdh1976
GX Member

bdh1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
I love my car but it's starting to nickel and dime me!

Last week broken driver side spring snapped, as I was getting in the car! $800 to fix. This week, the starter died. $400 to fix. I really don't want to see anything next week.
bdh1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
$800 to fix a broken spring? You got raped.....HARD!!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Yeah I agree and $400 to fix a starter. Even if you pay somebody to do it, shouldn't be more than $250

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
If you know what the problem is and cannot fix it yourself: compare mechanic prices!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
$800 to fix a broken spring? You got raped.....HARD!!

Did they at least use lube?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Haha you should see the prices Jake's Automotive charges to the company I work for's fleet vehicles. Three times the actual price of the part, and a ridiculous amount of labor.

My dad called GM to replace his starter and it was quoted around $400 too. I bought one for $100 and installed it free.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
$800 to fix a spring!? I did my entire suspension for under $700..holy sh*t..I cant even...idk I'm speechless..
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
That would have cost less at the dealership...Front struts are cake to pull compared to the back, frankly, with an $800 quote, I probably would have dropped the thing out right in my driveway.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
All you really need is a spring compressor to do the job. It's just the aligment afterwards that you'll have to take it to a shop

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I got charged 800 for a new spring.......and new front struts, tire alignment, new barrings in the front, and that's about it. But the car got checked out too for any other possible issues.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
And old or high mileage car is going to nickel and dime you if you pay someone else to repair it.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
holy.... eff stick.

If I can every decide on what springs I want, I'm doing mine on my own (probably this summer) The only thing I didn't do myself was the fuel pump (because I didn't have time and didn't want to screw with it) I've had to have wheel bearings replaced, but I lacked the testicular fortitude to muscle the damn things out (while laying in slush/snow/water in an unheated garage)

But to pay as much as you did... thats insane. How do people like that sleep at night... (besides uncomfortably on a matress made of money)
Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Fuel pump is easy, after you get the straps off holding the tank, deal with the weight of the tank with gas in it, and try to lift the tank back up while laying on the ground to get it back up. That's why I take it somewhere for that

The pump itself is held in by 3 bolts (i think) and after you undo the bolts, it's a twist and pull action.

I changed all 4 calipers myself. Never bled brakes before and I was worried about doing it, but it was so easy.

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
bdh1976
GX Member

bdh1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
1. It was $800 for both front struts, springs, etc that goes with alignment, blah, blah, blah. 2. I don't have the tools or the time to fix anything on my car (the tools moved to Reno with my brother). 3. It's my daily driver, and don't have any other way to get to work.

I priced what it would cost to fix myself, buy the tools, renting a car for the couple days I would need, etc. I actually came out ahead.

Last edited by bdh1976 : 03-16-2011 at 08:27 PM.
bdh1976 is offline   Reply With Quote