Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

TheMeaningOfLife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
Audio system

First i want to point out i know about nothing about audio stuff.
Ive been thinking about working on and mostly re-doing the audio system in my car. From what i can see i have a JVC head unit and two pioneer 6x9s in the back and probably stock up front i cant tell. Now my main question is would yu leave the JVC and pioneers or replace those with the new fronts also? And if i want subs and an amp how do they work really. I think dual 10's would work but i dont know what kind of amp you need behind it to run them. Last thing what brand gives you the best sound for the money? Im not looking to spend half a years pay on this i just want it to sound better and to fix the busted speaker i have up front.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
Well not sure if this answers your question. But if you're happy with how the Pioneers sound, leave em in there and buy a set of pioneers for the front. If your car has components you'll need 5.25" in the door and 1" tweeters. You'll also need a speaker adapter because GM had the wise idea of putting 4x6's in there.

As for the subs, it really depends what kind of music you're listening to. It's a very personal thing. My two favorite brand of subs is Phoenix Gold and JL. Little pricier but you get what you pay for. In my Alero I had a 12" Phoenix Gold and it sounded pretty good, had some good punch. Then again I'm also an SQL guy. Remember, 2 10's is roughly the equivalent of one 12.

As for the amp, it really depends which amp you get. Cheap brands (Sony, Kenwood, generic wal-mart brands, etc) tend to over their amps. Better brands such as Phoenix Gold, Alpine, etc will say what the amp is actually capable of doing.

As for what amp to buy it really depends on which sub you buy. Don't go by the Max power rating, go by the RMS rating.
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
depends on budget really.

Whats a half years pay to ya? Do you work at McDonalds? An Attorney? Heck who knows
Old 06-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
Thanks for the fast reply! But uhh, what? I keep reading on here about components and i truly have no idea what that, SQL and RMS is.

A host at a resteraunt so you get the idea on ym budget.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Then again it all depends.

Im a machinst and the system in my car retails into the $4000 area...

All depends on what you want to spend. I can suggest you a set of $130 components or a $10,000 set of components. $3000 amp or a $150 amp?

We need a good price range to see what we have to work with.

Also what music you listen to mostly.

What your expectations are? Want your ears to bleed from being loud? Or do you want it smooth and accurate?

www.bcae1.com
Old 06-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

I know its gunna be almost funny to you guys but like no more than a 500 dollar system in all. And i dont expect to run around and vibrate the stop signs next to me i just want more punch and it to sound clear. I listen ,ostly to heavy metal and hard rock. More or less, cheap but not what you go pick up from wally world.

O yeah, what are some good brands for head untis, ill go a little mroe expensive for that part of it.

Last edited by TheMeaningOfLife : 06-16-2007 at 12:20 PM.
TheMeaningOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
antichrysler
GLS member

$500 is easily doable if you're doing it yourself.

SQL = sound quality level, basically you're going for good sounding as opposed to loud
RMS = root mean squared, basically the continuous output of the amp

For head unit i wouldn't get anything other than eclipse. They're the king of all for clarity, and they're pretty good price/performance.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

Well i can try to do it myself. Also i noticed just today tucked up in my rear deck was a bunch of plugs and connector things. The owner before me had subs and anamp in it from what i know, do you guys think these are the hooks ups to it? Ill go get a pic of them.

Last edited by TheMeaningOfLife : 06-16-2007 at 01:13 PM.
TheMeaningOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
antichrysler
GLS member

one of them almost looks like the same plug on my sirius.... and the colored ones look like internal pc connectors..... it's hard to tell that picture is pretty blurry
Old 06-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

Sorry ill get better ones later.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Dont know for sure what that all is. They probably had an EQ, CD changer or sat back there and left the wiring opposed to having to dismantle the rear to get it out properly.

As for King of Clarity, McIntosh is that king

$500 isnt the most amount of money to work with, but its not a bad start.

I would look into a JVC Arsenal CD player. They tend to sound pretty good, decent looking and priced fairly for what you get.

Cadence has a big deal on amps right now, but you have to be a member of this forum to get it:
www.caraudioforum.com

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductC...&idproduct=257

That can be had for $130! Get on it. 75 wrms x 2 to drive your fronts should suffice well. Thats what Im currently running for power

For subs, its totally dependent on how much bass you desire. I would highly advise a sealed box also.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

So if i get that amp and subs, how much is it normally to get them installed?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

all depends really.

I can promise you one thing, with $500 you wont get a decent system installed period.

Your install will probably run you $200-300ish...
Old 06-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #14
elitecloud
GL Member

elitecloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to elitecloud
Or you could just install it all yourself, be a man and do it right learn your car

that way if things get messed up down the road you know how to do it :-)

I installed my system in my car bymyself, just follow the tutorials, now i install radios and stuff in my friends cars all the time, SUPER EASY

2006 Toyota X-Runner
elitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Yup, if your tight on cash its best to do it yourself.

The down side to that is most newbs ghetto rig it.... And wind up causing problems.

If you intend on doing it yourself, theres a protocol to follow. A right way and many wrong ways. Be very aware of this.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:08 AM   #16
Steck69

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrysler View Post
$500 is easily doable if you're doing it yourself.

SQL = sound quality level, basically you're going for good sounding as opposed to loud
RMS = root mean squared, basically the continuous output of the amp

For head unit i wouldn't get anything other than eclipse. They're the king of all for clarity, and they're pretty good price/performance.

now, sql has two different meanings then, at least to me it does, sql to me is sound quality loud, its just somethin people use in this area i guess. but i like mine loud, while retaining good sound, thats just me though
Old 07-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #17
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

The general market is SQL.

Everyone wants it loud, but sounding good. Oh ya, they all want it cheap, like next to nothing cheap.

You have to pay to play people. You get what you pay for. Yes your $20 sub and $50 amp may sound goo d to you, but compared to a $300 sub and a $800 amp it probably wouldnt sound good anymore...
Old 08-31-2007, 07:33 PM   #18
Steven01
GL Member

Steven01 is on a distinguished road
Hey well My system Was Pritty cheep for what i have. evryone i tell says Whoa Thats a nice little system that pumps GOOD. and what i have is.
Deck: AVH-P4900DVD Pioneer 6.5" DVD touch screen Paied 290$ Regual 700 On the site. That was a DEAL
Amp: Rockford 900watt came with evrything (amp and sub came together for 250$)
sub:10" Pioneer premieer Custom Box paied (amp and sub came together for 250$)
6x9s/door: alpine type s (Not what i really Wanted But for 180 for set of 6x9s and doors I woulndt complaine.)

For a system that was under a grand Evryone says its Good that Little 10 doese More then enought. But As usally Have to Get louder. SOo know im looking for something BIG Either 15" L7 kicker or 2 12" l7 kickers. What ever i can find and alost a new amp my Rockford woulnt handle what i need. HAHAH!
Steven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #19
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I did my system by myself and I paid less then 250 dollars for every thing. And I've whipped alot of 1500 to 2000 dollar range systems, and I got what people would call junk, but what I am saying is that you could build a great system for 500. Just today I bought 2 200watt crossfire amps for 15.00 each to add to my system. Good luck man and don't just think that name brand is the best way to go, because there are alot of lower tier companies that make very good audio equipment. Becareful though, not everything from them are of the highest quality. I always look for reviews on the internet before I buy. Just a hint, and Good luck again.
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote