Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 12-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
just like the topic says, i want to add one of those 10-12" rear window antenna's on my car. from what ive seen, you dont drill the glass, i dont think they'd be all that hard to hook up since all the antenna stuff is right in the rear c - pillar. and i think they look kind of cool, if you get the right one, somewhat cheap too

my radio reception isnt all that great with the less popular stations, and with the rear defroster on i get next to no signal. also, anyone know what the amplifier db is? maybe a bigger amp would help
Old 12-21-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
mobs241

the stock antena is alread built into the rear glass.
think about getting a fm amplifier first. there cheap and dont put a bunch of crap on your glass that you dont need.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Mike, do you have an external amp powering speakers in your car?
( If yes, go on to question 2, If no, then nevermind. )

#2) Do you remember connecting the blue remote turn-on lead from your car to 2 different blue wires in your aftermarket wiring harness?
( If the answer is yes, then nevermind. If the answer is no, or no i don't remember, then procede ...)

If you only used the remote turn-on lead to remotely power-up your amplifier, you need to get back in there and connect your car's antenna booster. ( Yes, our cars come stock with signal boosters, and without them, the reception sucks. )

hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
bluephoAm

Hey where do you get an antenna amplifier? I didn't know that they existed...
Old 12-21-2004, 06:24 PM   #5
mobs241

radio shack is the best place, but you can get them from crutchfield, bestbuy, circuitcity, or basiclly any place that you buy sterios. they might not have them on displays. but if you go to there install shop i bet tehy have them in there bays as "shop supplies" they run anywhere from 9-20 bucks.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:01 PM   #6
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Try the wire first. I still bought a rear window antenna. The same type that you see on the corrolas. It doesn't need the amplifier and still gets better reception than the factory window.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:19 PM   #7
bman_84

Do what Youngblood77 said, check the factory antenna booster, it can be easy to forget about if that's the case. Also make sure all connections to your deck are tight. I put XM radio in, FM modulated with the factory deck. Was getting some bad static, so I put an antenna filter in. It filters out static noise and doesn't use power. Its a loop isolator with a coax cable attached. Works well, but a better filter amp used to take out noise may work better for your case.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #8
mike2002
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Youngblood77@Dec 21 2004, 05:13 PM
Hey Mike, do you have an external amp powering speakers in your car?
( If yes, go on to question 2, If no, then nevermind. )

#2) Do you remember connecting the blue remote turn-on lead from your car to 2 different blue wires in your aftermarket wiring harness?
( If the answer is yes, then nevermind. If the answer is no, or no i don't remember, then procede ...)

If you only used the remote turn-on lead to remotely power-up your amplifier, you need to get back in there and connect your car's antenna booster. ( Yes, our cars come stock with signal boosters, and without them, the reception sucks. )

hope this helps. :thumbsup:
i still have the factory HU, what i did was just unplug it, splice off of those for my LOC's. i dont think i still need to do anything with a blue wire, do it? its not bad reception on major stations, its ok reception. never seemed to get any worse, it just wasn't great to begin with. and the not so huge stations don't come in as well all the time.

mikegett, do you remember what brand antenna you got? ive been looking online for one, i want a short one, about 10-12". i actually think, it might look good on the car
Old 12-21-2004, 11:08 PM   #9
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Quote:
Originally posted by bman_84@Dec 21 2004, 07:19 PM
Do what Youngblood77 said, check the factory antenna booster, it can be easy to forget about if that's the case. Also make sure all connections to your deck are tight. I put XM radio in, FM modulated with the factory deck. Was getting some bad static, so I put an antenna filter in. It filters out static noise and doesn't use power. Its a loop isolator with a coax cable attached. Works well, but a better filter amp used to take out noise may work better for your case.
What kind of filter did you use? I have an FM modulater made by JVC that I used with my MP3 player. I got so much static that I just took it out.. I would love to use it again if I new what to do.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:17 PM   #10
mikegett
GL Member

Unfortunately I don't know the brand. I believe that it was bought at a autozone about six months ago. It looks almost identical to the ones on a corrola. It does have a small booster with it. I just chose not to use it.
The window antennas look cool but just plain suck. In order for it to work a large power booster must be applied. The more power you apply, the more interferance you get. In order to prevent the added noise filters are applied. In the end you have a large booster and one big filter. Have you noticed that all Hybrids use a external antenna in place of the window? This is due to there being prone to pick up electrical interferance.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 PM   #11
mikegett
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brsexton+Dec 22 2004, 04:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brsexton @ Dec 22 2004, 04:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bman_84@Dec 21 2004, 07:19 PM
What kind of filter did you use? I have an FM modulater made by JVC that I used with my MP3 player. I got so much static that I just took it out.. I would love to use it again if I new what to do. [/b][/quote]
FM modulators should be able to produce a pretty good signal. Did you have the modulator installed close to the radio or HVAC system? You want to keep it as far away from anything electrical as possible. Another trick is to wrap it in aluminum foil. This will help to shield it. For the best shielding, buy some copper mesh. It is expensive, but it will provide the ultimate protection. http://www.twpinc.com/twp/jsp/product.jsp?type=3
This web site has a minimum order of 75 dollars. McMasterCarr may have it cheaper. I use this on all of my HU installs. The good thing is that it can be reused. Do not use aluminum foil on the head unit. It will insulate the radio (due to it not being a mesh) and will cause overheating. You might check your gain on the modulator. Try turning it down. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:50 AM   #12
mike2002
GLS member

hey mike, i picked one up at pepboys, 14" "cellualar" type. looks like im going to have to splice into the existing antenna, i dont have enough to run it all the way up front to the radio, nor do i want to (they look like rg59 anyways)

1 question though, its the "through glass" type, both ends just stick to the glass...does it have to be on glass? i wanted to put it on the part of glass that has the black paint stuff on it, the top part (in the middle) is that where you put yours?

thanks

oh btw, after i put it on, i was driving on the highway and got this crappy horrible whistle, then it just stopped so i thought it flew off...but it was still there....i almost pulled over to see if it was still up there....lol
Old 12-26-2004, 10:37 AM   #13
bman_84

brsexton, the filter is just a cheap round magnet with a coil around it. Follow this link to cruthfield, this is exactly what I haveFilterAlso try what others suggested, keep the modulator box away from the HVAC system and amps, alluminum foil is good to keep unwanted interference out. I never tried copper mesh before, but that may be better if you have a lot of interference. I mounted my filter and modulator box behind the seat, the part thats under the seatbelt. I had to buy 2 antenna adapters to go from small to big, and big to small. Depending on the adapters, you may have to bend the tabs out the keep it seated, mine kept falling out. I have virutally no static at all, and I don't use any unnecissary power. I also have the factory monsoon system, but your modulator should produce a very good signal. Oh, also check that your FM station is set to the correct frequency. Most modulators operate between the 87.7 and 91.1 frequency.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:39 AM   #14
mikegett
GL Member

I placed my antenna on the black strip. I never realy thought about it possibly affecting the performace as well. I would pull it off to test it in another spot but the darn thing probably would never stick again. Otherwise a very good question.
bman_84, Copper mesh may seem a bit drastic but it does offer the best reduction in interference. At work we program the key fobs for toyotas and lexus vehicles. In order to insure that the frequencies of cell phones, cordless phones, test equipment and other magnetic devices don't interfer copper mesh surrounds every piece of metal. If you can remove the metal then copper mesh is under or around it. The benefit comes from two things. Copper is more affective at shielding than aluminum but cheaper than other alloys. Gold for one. The mesh pattern helps to distribute any magnetic interference (as long as it is grouned) and is cheaper than using solid copper. This is what you buy in a premium set of rca cables. Copper or gold mesh surrounding the wires. It may initially be expensive to invest in. But it can always be reused. I no longer buy expensive RCA's. I go cheap and cover it with the mesh. As long as the cable has adequate insulation only the ends need it.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:45 AM   #15
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Quote:
Originally posted by bman_84@Dec 26 2004, 10:37 AM
brsexton, the filter is just a cheap round magnet with a coil around it. Follow this link to cruthfield, this is exactly what I haveFilterAlso try what others suggested, keep the modulator box away from the HVAC system and amps, alluminum foil is good to keep unwanted interference out. I never tried copper mesh before, but that may be better if you have a lot of interference. I mounted my filter and modulator box behind the seat, the part thats under the seatbelt. I had to buy 2 antenna adapters to go from small to big, and big to small. Depending on the adapters, you may have to bend the tabs out the keep it seated, mine kept falling out. I have virutally no static at all, and I don't use any unnecissary power. I also have the factory monsoon system, but your modulator should produce a very good signal. Oh, also check that your FM station is set to the correct frequency. Most modulators operate between the 87.7 and 91.1 frequency.
Thanks for your help, I will give that a shot.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:20 AM   #16
bnight04
GLS member

bnight04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bnight04
I have to get a fm modulator i guess b.c my radio doesnt work, but are there different ones? or are they all the same....
Old 12-30-2004, 05:11 AM   #17
mikegett
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bnight04@Dec 27 2004, 02:20 PM
I have to get a fm modulator i guess b.c my radio doesnt work, but are there different ones? or are they all the same....
You can't use a fm modulator without a working radio. They broadcast over a fm station.