Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-31-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
i just got hit and i also got my oil pan replaced. now it smells like burning oli a bit. and i have a milkey white subistance in the driveway under where i park my car. it is in the upper left part of the engine area.
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:31 PM   #2
mdodge
GLS member

mdodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mdodge
sounds like your leaking engine coolant. Check the hoses and coolant tank.
mdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does it look like a milkshake? Got the 3.4 under your hood? If-so, it sounds to me like you had the dreaded LIMG leak and it never got fixed.

( Sometimes the oil/coolant mixture leaks out between the head and the LIM, and the burning oil smell is just that....oil burning on one or both of the exhaust manifolds. ) Has nothing to do with your accident. The fact that it's leaking on the ground however, probably has to do with a 1/2-assed oilpan install....

I'd say go through the motions to check for the gasket leak right off the bat.
#1) Check the bottom of the oil-fill cap and in the coolant res. for the milkshake substance.

#2) look closely @ the oil and coolant levels. If it's ABOVE full on oil, and low on coolant, that's not a good sign. **sometimes it's the other way around, but you get the idea**

#3) Look @ where the heads meet the lower intake manifold for stains of oil running down. ( It's commonly found on the passenger-end of the front head )

If you got the leak, change the oil right where the car sits, top off the coolant, then drive it to a mechanic that's reputable. Tell him about the gasket leak, and tell him that while the fluids are out of the car, take off the oilpan, replace the gasket, inspect the block's sealing surface for damage, then put the oil pan back on CORRECTLY this time.

I hope I'm wrong about the gasket leak man, hopefully it's something simple.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Eh_nigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Eh_nigma
Young,

Is that just a 3400 problem? Or can it happen with all Alero engine types?
-Why the hell not?
Eh_nigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
mdodge
GLS member

Yeah, this problem is a known issue on all of gm's 3.4 and some 3.8 v6's.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
it can happen to almost any car's engine, but is more common in GM's 3400 V6.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
i will check it out. i have had my limg replaced twice so far. i still have alot of warentee left in the car. if it is slugeing up inside of the engine is there anything that can be done about it? the oil is a little high. but my coolent is not low. it liiks like there is a leak byt it could be from the last time it leaked. monday i will have to call up the dealership and have them fix the oil problem
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slowandlow@Jan 1 2005, 01:44 PM
if it is slugeing up inside of the engine is there anything that can be done about it? the oil is a little high. but my coolent is not low.
#1) Engine oil musn't EVER be overfilled. Engine damage can and WILL happen if overlooked for too long.

#2) The sludge that's left over from the oil-coolant mixture can't be removed entirely. However: You can do a pretty decent job @ removing 98% of it by making sure that when you do your oil changes that the oil it's self is nice and hot before you dump it out. Don't just judge by the temp guage, you have to drive the car around for a bit even after it hits operating temperature. Just because the water's 200 degrees doesn't mean the oil is. Your coolant heats up alot faster than the oil's viscosity breaks down. This is important because you want the oil nice and hot, and with that, the sludge is nice and hot too, and you'll stand a better chance of it coming out with the oil that way. Do this with every oil change, and I'll bet that the engine's internals, oil galleys etc. stay much cleaner. :thumbsup:

#3) Make sure you check your coolant @ the right level for how hot or cold the engine is. Let's say for example that you checked your coolant level when your engine was hot....and read the coolant as being @ the COLD marking on the side of the coolant res. In this situation, the coolant IS right on the mark, but it's low on coolant. There's good reason why there's 2 marks on the side of the coolant res. , and it's imparative that they're read correctly.

Hope this helps. B)

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:36 PM   #9
mdodge
GLS member

^^nice info eric! :thumbsup:
Old 01-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #10
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdodgealero@Jan 1 2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks Mike. I'm still an Aleromod rookie of sorts, but I try to make my posts as informative as possible. I really like being able to contribute when I can....

Old 01-01-2005, 11:54 PM   #11
mdodge
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Youngblood77+Jan 1 2005, 10:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Youngblood77 @ Jan 1 2005, 10:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mdodgealero@Jan 1 2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks Mike. I'm still an Aleromod rookie of sorts, but I try to make my posts as informative as possible. I really like being able to contribute when I can.... [/b][/quote]
Hey you always contribute. And just being helpful whenever..even if it's just encouragement...that is A+ in my book. :thumbsup: