Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 12-31-2004, 12:52 AM   #1
elitecloud
GL Member

elitecloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to elitecloud
I can't seem to get the back speakers out, i can't get the plastic thing that's on top of the back dash out. Could someone explain this to me, pictures would be very nice :P

also, i heard that you can put 5 inch speakers in the doors, does anybody have a kit or detailed (pictures plz) instructions on how this is done....

also would it be difficult to install a cd player myself, i've been thru the issues of having to buy a 50 dollar wiring kit, and if that's what i have to do, i guess i have no choice....but is that the only high dollar thing i will need besides the deck?

(deck - harness with chimes for doors - antenna adapter?? - dash kit )

thanks

2006 Toyota X-Runner
elitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:59 AM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
If you have a Sedan, fold your seats down and pop the black clips and pull the molding next to the window and it will come right out. On the Coupe you gotta pull all the back molding and I believe even remove your seat belts.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 01:06 AM   #3
elitecloud
GL Member

sedan thanks, i'll try that after work tommorow

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 12-31-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

It real easy theres only like 4 clips pop the molding pull the whole back section out.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:24 AM   #5
elitecloud
GL Member

another question, i don't mean to bug anybody LoL

i want to install a radio, and (in the bottom of my stomach) want to do it myself

i also want to install an eq for my amp / amps eventually down the road

i want a small eq, because i would like to install it in the dash, under the h/u

what is a good brand? that's small..

http://store1.yimg.com/I/mobile-emotions_1819_26424347

that's a boss, iam not sure how good the "boss" brand is, but iam sure it compares to roadmaster, but that's too wide i think, i havn't looked at one yet tho

thanks

edit : also i want 2 12' sony vegas, with a 400 - 500 watt amp, will i need a cap?

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 12-31-2004, 10:10 AM   #6
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
All the info you'll need will be in 1 of these threads elite:

2001-2004 aftermarket radio installation

dash kit and harness options

Crutchfield mastersheet, 99-04 Grand Am and Alero

And for information regarding aftermarket electronics, there's a ton of sites that give you the info to make your decisions. Here's a few....

Crutchfield

Sound Domain

Hope this helps bro. :thumbsup:

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:56 PM   #7
elitecloud
GL Member

young i love you

have my baby

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 01-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #8
elitecloud
GL Member

Is Boss a good brand?

can you recommend any good eq's?

thanks

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 01-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #9
isellalerodrop

Quote:
Originally posted by elitecloud@Dec 31 2004, 08:56 PM
young i love you

have my baby
wow.....I can feel the love in here :thumbsup:
Old 01-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #10
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elitecloud@Jan 2 2005, 08:24 PM
Is Boss a good brand?

can you recommend any good eq's?

thanks
No, by mainstream standards Boss is in NO way a good brand, but noone knows your budget better than you, and noone's gonna break your balls for being restricted by a small budget. ( Especially me, I'm running complete junk for a system right now, but it sounds decent, and my money's better spent on other mods anyhow )

Ok, back on topic. :P

I've looked around a bit, and here's a few I've come across.

Crutchfield's EQs

Ebay search using "1/2 DIN" in the Equalizer section

Sound Domain <---please ignore the Kicker KQ30 on this page, it's definately not what you're looking for.

Car Discount Stereos

Online Car Stereo

Audio Discounters

and last but not least, one of my favorites.... the Zeb

Ok, Now. With all these options, it may become a tad overwhelming, but there are a few ground rules for you to consider, and keep them in mind while you're making your decisions as to what EQ is best for your particular application.

1) For the location you described above, you'll need to have a 1/2 DIN sized EQ. This is the only EQ that will fit in that location, so this narrows it down alot.

2) Passive or Powered? A passive EQ alters the signal without giving you a boost in channel power. Ideal for customising the sound of your music BEFORE the signals are sent to amplifiers. My advice to you is this: stay away from EQ's that boast having an amplifier in them. My logic is this: In-dash amplifier/equaliser combos are like a backhoe. ( I work in construction, so pardon my crude analogy ) Backhoes are designed to do 2 or 3 different jobs, but RARELY do any of them well. Just like a Backhoe, an in-dash amplifier/equaliser combo is trying to amplify a signal, but can't quite do it very clean or powerfully. The added room that the amp is taking up in there takes away from the cicuitry that's normally giving you the ability to customise the signal. Therefore, how can it possibly do the job of 2 components in such a small space? I'll tell you how: It does it, but half-assed. 'nuff said. **Stick to a passive EQ and let REAL amplifiers do the job of making your speakers louder. The result will be a much cleaner sound...you'll have to just trust me on this one.

3) How many bands? Eq's are differenciated by the number of bands they can manipulate, as well as the range of decibles or db they can add or subtract within each respective band.

**To sum it up: the more bands you can change, the more you can fine-tune your music's sound. The same can be said about the amount of range each band has...the more the merrier.

4) Subwoofer control: If you intend on adding an external amp and subwoofer combonation to your system, this feature is often handy to control the cut-off or crossover point which in changes what frequencies your sub will reproduce. Not only that, but they can often control the sub level or volume.

** IMHO, subwoofer control isn't really required, as most amplifiers have crossovers in them, as-do aftermarket head units. ( Aftermarket head units often also have control of the sub's volume aswell. )

There's alot to consider when making your car-audio purchases, and what I've written here is only the tip of the iceberg. If there's anything here that I've written that's wrong, feel free to correct me...I'm hardly an expert.

Hope this helps. B)

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:16 PM   #11
elitecloud
GL Member

i mainly want an eq for sub control :P

i might get another amp to run all my highs, but money is tight right now
making 6.50 an hour + paying for the car + insurance = ouchiebibbles

:P

thanks for the links man, i've book marked em :P

edit : ok i think i have it down now

Deck = http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid...5mp&svbname=403

Eq = http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid...744&svbname=403

clarion is a good brand, my friend has that deck and i love it

i have a box for 2 - 12 inch subs, but money is an issue

- another question, is there a guide to install a 5 inch speaker in the doors, or should i be able to do it myself without any problems? i havn't taken the door panel off yet, working full time can do that to ya

I really appreciate all the help your giving me young, the most resourcful person i've met about alero's to date ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: h34r:

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 01-02-2005, 10:40 PM   #12
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

In terms of swapping your 4x6's for 51/4's, there's an adapter made by either Metra or Scoche...i'll track down the part number for ya. You can make your own baffels, but these plate-besel adapters they make are the cat's ass, i'm tellin ya. Making your own would take about an hour per door, with all the materials and tools in front of you. These pieces I'm talking about make it a VERY simple install. ( roughly 5 minutes per door, not including taking the interior off the door )

As far as using the EQ to control your sub: You can do it, but I think you're taking a 5 mile shortcut for a 3 mile trip. If you were to spend an extra couple bucks on your headunit, you could make better use of the space the EQ is gonna take up in your dash. You do what you wanna do man, but there are some kick-ass EQs out there with 10 or even 12 bands for about the same amount of cash as your spending. The only thing I see you're gaining is that the components in your dash would match. So I guess it comes down to what you'd rather have: more control over the music, or matching components in your dash. You're money, your call. B)

No matter what, I'm glad that you've decided on Clarion. They make a great deck, and they sure beat the hell outta Boss' electronics any day of the week.

Glad I could help man. :thumbsup:

Old 01-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #13
elitecloud
GL Member

by no means am i a "music freak" lol but i like the fact that with an eq, let's say that a good bass song comes on, i want to punch the bass and break an ear drum :P

it gives me that control with the simple turn of a dial, not having to hit one button to get to High - med - low ---- and then turn it up

to each his own is what your saying right? LOL :thumbsup:

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 01-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #14
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by elitecloud@Jan 2 2005, 10:45 PM
break an ear drum :P

Been there, done that happpened a couple ears ago I had real fun walking around with a cotton ball in my ear.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #15
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Allllllll-righty then ! Back from reseach, and here are my findings: This was taken from the Grand AmGT forums, courtesy of the member sunrunner_pei:

"For my 6.5" mids I used a Metra adapter, part# 82-3300

I had to do a little trimming of the interior door panel to clear the speaker, but it was nothing serious at all. No cutting of metal involved.

For my tweeters, I bought a pair of the plain sail panels (No tweeter hole), then used a hole saw to flush-mount my tweets."

Looks to me like a decent install, especially on the tweets. Notice his use of dynomat on the door panel, a MUST for anything over 4x6's in our doors.

sunrunner_pei's ride is an '03 GaGT, so this install is identical to what would have to be done in our cars. You can do without the Metra adapter and use a 1" spacer cut from wood using a router and a jigsaw, but the plastic adapter makes for a nicer finished product IMHO.

Hope this helps. B)

Old 01-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #16
elitecloud
GL Member

http://www.audioallies.com/getitem.a...82-3300&Sys=FR

found a link for it

thanks man

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 01-03-2005, 12:54 AM   #17
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
If you want a EQ I may have one for sale. I will have to check the number but I believe it is either the MA audio MPE100 or 200 parametric EQ. http://maaudio.com/productcatalog.cfm?class=250
I can check the specifics later. Either way, you should read up a bit on EQ's prior to buying. There are two main catagories. The graphic and parametric eq. A graphic (the clarion you chose) has seven frequencies that you can apply a boost to. If the frequency you want to boost is not in one of these bands you will not be able to apply any changes to it. A parametric eq allows you to select the frequencies you want to alter. This means that if you want the 20 Hz to be boosted you dial in 20 Hz and apply the boost. Another benefit of parametric is the ability to alter the frequency slope. The slope is how many frequencies around your selected area will be affected. In low frequencies a large slope is normaly wanted. This away you can raise many frequencies at the same time. In highs and mids, a smaller slope is normaly prefered. This allows you to eliminate one frequency from beeing heard. A parametric will normaly cost more than a graphic and have fewer bands. Four to five is quite normal. But the flexibility of it makes the parametric a much more powerfull tool. I also want to clarify what a passive eq means. An active crossover is called active because it needs it's own power supply. They normaly take the form of a DSP but can just be a simple eq utilizing some electronic sources. A passive is simple componants such as capacitors and coils that require no external power. Almost all eq's will be active. Youngblood did bring up a good point. A slightly better HU will give you the functionality of a EQ with little of the hassle. If you do not need the added tweaking of a EQ I suggest going with a better HU. Once a EQ is installed the master volume of your radio will be void. Instead the EQ controls all volumes. This is very hard for friends or family to understand. I constantly had to battle them increasing or decreasing my HU volume. I then had to take the time to set up all of my gains again. Not very pleasant. The other downfall is that a eq can be difficult to adjust by ear alone. A scope at a local shop is normaly needed to get everything set properly. Just a few suggestions for you to take in mind. Good luck.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:27 AM   #18
elitecloud
GL Member

iam not into frequeny's and all that hoola

i just want it for bass - mids - highs

controling the volume and stuff for em.....like seperatly out to the amp(s)

my friend got this - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...dest=9999999997

and this is what i want, not neccesarily that brand, but that's the one he had, and i liked it alot.... :thumbsup:

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 01-03-2005, 04:10 AM   #19
elitecloud
GL Member

CRAP

ok it's 3 a.m. and i am bored as heck, after reading i think all the information located in this thread - i wonder if it's sticky material?

--- anyways i go to see what i can do about my 6x9 speakers in my car, the passenger side speaker wasn't working, i run two wires, from the black connecter to the speaker itself, nothing.....i flip the polaritys just in case, nothing...hmmmm

so i do this - http://home.cwru.edu/~nkp2/mastershe...rspeakers1.jpg

but i don't have to remove the seatbelt just the window trip part, that had 3 pop in snap things. i was oh yeah pop in's are good :P

so i pull the speaker out after like 5 minutes, Keep in mind, i've never done this before, first NEW CAR Wee anyways...so i go in the house and grab an 8 ohm speaker i have for testing, i get back in the trunk, i run two new wires to the speaker and the song stops, iam like well crap i crawl out try to crank the car and notta...iam like poop

the battery is dead?? after 10 - 15 minutes IF THAT of having the lights running? could it be a dead cell? would that explain why my radio, after i crank the car, the clock would be at 12:00 ??
is the alternator to blame, or just a dead battery?

any help is greatly appreciated, i have work tommorow :wah: :wah: :wah: :thumbsup:

2006 Toyota X-Runner
Old 01-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #20
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
i like this deck

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YMDXNDdJ9OO/c...=300&I=133C9800

i think its the first deck to use a digital amp for deck power, ive heard its very powerful. never seen tests to see if its really 60rms, but it is definatly a powerful deck. and its got your built in eq