Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
lakeheadalero

Getrag 5 speed MT

According to the owners manual because it's a sealed for life tranny it never needs to have it's fluid changed, but the guys at Mr. Lube say differently. My car has 94,000 km, is this really necessary? I tried to do a search but it seems most people deal with AT's. I would like to hear anyones experiences with this tranny.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Alero_1986
GL Member

Alero_1986 is on a distinguished road
I have also read that GM does not recommend changing the fluid in the F23 transmission. However it is still a good idea to change the MT fluid after around 50,000 mi to extend the life of the transmission. If you run a google search on the getrag F23 transmission you will find more info.
Alero_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Alero_1986
GL Member

Alero_1986 is on a distinguished road
I found this info from J-body.com if anyone else is interested. If you are not comfortable doing fluid changes it's probably not a bad idea to have someone else do it (or help out)

Re: Getrag F 23 Transaxle
"Tools needed:
3/8" drive: ratchet
3/8" drive: 5/16" allen/hex socket
3/8" drive: extension (at least 12" long)
3/8" drive: Torque Wrench
5/16" allen wrench
12" length of pipe (used as a breaker bar, slips over the end of the allen wrench)
Drip pan
Flexible funnel
Towel

Fluid Needed:
2 quarts of (insert the name of your preferred transmission lubricant HERE).

1. Either jack-up the front end of the car or drive the car onto a set of ramps (Pep Boys sells "gorilla ramps" for $17 per set, they hold 4000lbs each).

2. If you are using a jack, make sure to use a set of jackstands. In any instance, chock the rear wheel and put the e-brake on (prevent rolling backwards and subsequent death from a 2000+lb piece of steel landing on your chest.

3. Locate the transmission drain plug (a the very bottom of the trans case, 6 o'clock position, has a hex-type plug)

4. Insert the 5/16" allen wrench into the drain plug, place the piece of pipe over the end of the wrench, and loosen the drain plug. Make sure to place the drip pan under the drain hole (duh?). From this point, you can spin off the drain plug with your fingers, the pipe/allen wrench combo simply makes it easier to break the plug free. I use an allen wrench because there is not enough room for a ratchet/hex socket combo -- the drain plug is very close to a steel front-end crossmember.

5. Let the fluid drain into the pan -- go smoke a cigarette, do whatever, just make sure to let all of the fluid drain out of the case.

6. Replace the drain plug -- use your finger to thread the plug in, and then use the allen wrench to snug it down DO NOT USE THE BREAKER BAR TO TIGHTEN THE PLUG. Use the allen wrench as your guide -- tighten the plug until the allen wrench flexes slightly. Wipe the mess with your towel.

7. Locate the fill plug -- the fill plug looks identical to the drain plug, except that it is at the top of the trans case, next to the red transmission vent cap. Open your hood, lean over the driver's side wheel well, find your ABS modulator, and look DOWN. There is the plug.

8. Attach the hex-drive socket to the 12" extension, attach the extension to your ratchet, insert the socket into the fill plug, and unscrew the plug. To prevent from dropping the plug, partially unscrew it and then fish your hand around the air intake and unscrew the plug the rest of the way.

9. Place a long-spout flexible funnel (Autozone and Pep Boys sell them -- they are made by Blitz -- they have a blue top with an 18" long flexible tube attached to the bottom of the funnel) into the fill plug hole.

10. My getrag calls for 1.8 quarts of fluid. Save yourself the trouble and just pour in 2 quarts. The additional .2 quarts will not harm your transmission. TO REVIEW: pour in 2 quarts of (insert the name of your preferred transmission lubricant HERE).

11. When you finish pouring, let the funnel drain for a minute, and the remove it from the fill plug hole. Use your towel to wipe any mess.

12. Re-install the fill plug (using a similar process to step 8). However, set your torque wrench to 28 ft-lb and tighten the plug using this torque setting.

13. Clean any spills, throw away any empty bottles, and remove the drain pan from under the car, remove the wheel chock/jackstands.

14. Lower your car to the ground or drive it off the ramps.

15. Enjoy a smooth-shifting transmission

Sincerely,
illtmprdman"

From J-body.com

They also recommend RedLine ATF
Alero_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Whatever you do, just don't use Dexron VI in the manual transmissions. It's specifically stated by GM not to use it. Dexron III is what is in it from the factory and is recommended. GM now sells "Manual Transmission Fluid" for this purpose also.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
?
what is the difference?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 AM   #6
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Viscosity and friction modifiers.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Would it be similar on the Tranny of a Ho? I have the 2.4l
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 AM   #8
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Viscosity and friction modifiers.

huh.....i never knew that...ill do more research before i change my saturns manual fluid