Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 12-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Rods & Rebuilding

3 of spyhunter's rods are usable, so I bought a brand new rod from Eagle, but it's the new style, with 3/8" ARP rod bolts. And all of his are the old style, 5/16" ARP rod bolts. This will throw off the entire rotating assembly's balance... so I am screwed. What to do?

1. Professionally balanced rotating assembly (doubt it's possible with something like this)
2. Buy 3 more brand new rods..
3. Somehow find another old style Eagle rod, ONE rod. Unless Eagle can make me one that's the old style..

Actually, the guy who ordered it from Eagle gave them the code numbers right off the rods I had, so they should have forged me one that was the old style... I'll have to pay them a visit again and see if I can't get this thing switched.

Also, does one have to take off the head to do bottom end swappage? I wouldn't think so.. I don't really feel like it.

Last edited by [ion] C2 : 12-23-2007 at 03:14 PM.
[ion] C2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
what was wrong with the 4th rod?

(the one from spyhunter)
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
spun a bearing, fatigued it pretty bad.. would cost $97 to resurface but even then it wouldn't last long in its current condition

so i use it as a hand-to-hand weapon/decorative item
Old 12-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Also, does one have to take off the head to do bottom end swappage? I wouldn't think so.. I don't really feel like it.
Yeah you have to get to the top of the cylinder to drop in the piston/rod assembly, which requires taking off the head. Welcome to engine building
Old 12-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

I don't get why you can't just come in through the bottom..
Old 12-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
I don't get why you can't just come in through the bottom..
Well, there's a crankshaft in the way. It's 10 times easier to drop in through the top.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
Well, there's a crankshaft in the way. It's 10 times easier to drop in through the top.

and in general people do it from the top.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
I like to be on bottom myself.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

^me too, lol

Yeh but ya gotta take out the crank anyway to put in the new main bearings and whatnot. Meh. I suppose a new headgasket is a good idea anyway, with this many miles.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:32 AM   #10
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
You can't have the older ones drilled/tapped and use the 3/8 with them? or does that cause a problem?
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

Weight of the rods would be different. Things are balanced to like .001 scale. The 3/8 new rods have a larger crank side to accomodate the larger diameter bolts, the 5/16 old ones aren't wide enough to safely tap out.. etc. It's impossible to modify. I'm going to go see what they say about exhanging for a new rod that's made old-style. Otherwise I'm seriously screwed and out $220 with nothing in return.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
Spilner521
Boost Guru

I'm just wondering, did you buy these rods from Spy knowing that one wasn't useable, or was it known that one was damaged and that it could possibly be repaired?

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but you should've just bought a new set right from the beginning. More power to you for trying to save money, I try to save on whatever I can, but if it was questionable to begin with, you would've been better off with something more expensive that is gauranteed to be useable.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 12-26-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

The rod was supposedly repairable. It is, for $97. However it has been stressed and is not likely to last for long in its current condition, according to my engine shop. I'm going to see if I can get them to order me an old-style rod tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #14
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
the ld9 is easy to take apart anywayz plus gives you a chance to swap in felpro gaskets
Old 12-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
spyhunter
GL Member

Quote:
I'm just wondering, did you buy these rods from Spy knowing that one wasn't useable, or was it known that one was damaged and that it could possibly be repaired?

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but you should've just bought a new set right from the beginning. More power to you for trying to save money, I try to save on whatever I can, but if it was questionable to begin with, you would've been better off with something more expensive that is gauranteed to be useable.

I sold them with knowledge that they were repairable. I also sold them explaining as such, and explaining what happened to the fatigued rod. Still for the price they went for, it is an awesome deal.

However, I didn't know that Eagle updated the rods they were selling, that information I did not have.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyhunter View Post
I sold them with knowledge that they were repairable. I also sold them explaining as such, and explaining what happened to the fatigued rod. Still for the price they went for, it is an awesome deal.

However, I didn't know that Eagle updated the rods they were selling, that information I did not have.
Ah ok. That wasn't meant to be a negative question directed towards him or you, just kinda curious is all. When someone says "Hey I just bought a set of used rods and I found out I can't use one" it just makes you wonder.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #17
spyhunter
GL Member

Quote:
Ah ok. That wasn't meant to be a negative question directed towards him or you, just kinda curious is all. When someone says "Hey I just bought a set of used rods and I found out I can't use one" it just makes you wonder.

From your remarks it appears to me and I'm sure to many other people that you were insinuating I was not honest and/or legit on the sale.

The machine shop I took the fatigued rod to said that the rod can be cleaned up and that it is reusable. This is a shop where I've taken my machining work to be done, as well as taken other people's parts to be machined many times.

So really what are you trying to dig up.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #18
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Like I said, it wasn't meant to be negative in any way. [ion] C2 came on and made a post stating he bought a set of rods from you but only 3 were useable. I just didn't know the whole story obviously, which is why I asked what the deal was. Now I know. Not trying to dig anything up, and certainly not accusing you of being dishonest. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #19
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
wow a boosted alero vs. a boosted grandam...interesting I say race for it...
J/k but spy get off spliners back about it he really didnt try to say anything negative about you although i would like to add you have an attitude problem so chill spy!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
[ion] C2
636 whp

No it doesn't sound like you weren't honest, Spy; Spilner's post was written to make sure it was known that I bought used parts with the knowledge that one may be unusable, and now I am feeling the effects of that action.

Nothing between Spy or Spilner should have resulted because of his post..