Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
02AleroEco
GL Member

02AleroEco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 02AleroEco
ECU Reset

I saw one post but it didnt really answer my question.

I have an 02 Ecotec 4spd.

I have a catback exhaust, WAI, and a new upstream 02, and new Fuel pump and filter.

But my gas mileage is still rather crappy, now rather than go through piece by piece of all the things that could be wrong. A buddy of mine with a Subie WRX was telling me of a way to reset it and for it to re learn your driving habits. Now i dont baby my car, but i certainly dont drive hard or aggressive.

Now he was telling me that obv. you disconnect the Neg Terminal on batt. Then press the brake pedal a few times to discharge remaining current in the elec system. Let it sit unplugged for like 5min. Plug in back in and turn it to the 'on' position and let it sit for a few minutes. Turn it off, then start. Let it idle for like 10min. Then once i start driving for the first 12 or so miles i drive, the car would re learn my habits and make the system changes accordingly to adjust fuel use and all that stuff.

Does this seem right to you guys aswell?
02AleroEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
The short term fuel trims update instantly, and after a certain amount of times of the STFTs being the same in certain areas, they turn into long term fuel trims. No such thing as having to reset the computer for your tiny modifications to be compensated for in closed loop. The computer always targets 14.6:1 AFR once the car is warmed up (< 20 seconds) and the O2 sensor is used to keep the car running bouncing around 14.6:1. Instantly, it's always adjusting.

I always laugh when I hear someone say that about "learning your driving habits." No such thing on this car. Shift points are determined by vehicle speed, RPM, and throttle position, air-fuel ratio in closed loop is adjusted constantly by the O2 sensor.

Also, lol, how does pressing the brake pedal a few times drain the power in the PCM?
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
02AleroEco
GL Member

Okay well good to know haha.

and the brake pedal i wasnt fully sure on why that was the case, but yeah.

But thanks for the input man. Btw loving how the cars comin together
Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
me too, got the rear strut brace on now, noticed a decent difference in cornering. fabbin up some new suspension stuff today and putting on spacers, should be coo
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
02AleroEco
GL Member

Very very nice!