Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-13-2004, 08:31 AM   #21
MikeSS
V.I.P. Member

MikeSS is an unknown quantity at this point
My thick ass tint didn't do much to help my reception either. I can barely get some radio stations in toronto that are two blocks away issed:
1996 Camaro Y87 - Gone
2003 Alero 2.2L GX 5-Spd - 15.21 @ 88.21 - Gone
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:58 AM   #22
bigd6983

MAlero you are sure this wire is hooked up??
Old 08-13-2004, 12:05 PM   #23
MikeSS
V.I.P. Member

MikeSS is an unknown quantity at this point
O h yeah, it is funny, cause sometimes I get buffalo nice and clear, I think it might have to do with the different valleys and tall buildings around here
1996 Camaro Y87 - Gone
2003 Alero 2.2L GX 5-Spd - 15.21 @ 88.21 - Gone
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:17 PM   #24
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MAlero@Aug 13 2004, 07:31 AM
My thick ass tint didn't do much to help my reception either. I can barely get some radio stations in toronto that are two blocks away issed:
I don't think tint strongly affects radio reception if at all.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:01 AM   #25
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
The only way the tint will affect the rececption is if you are using reflective tints. These contain aluminum which blocks radio signals. Otherwise the signal will pass through the tint just as it does the walls of your house.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:17 AM   #26
bigd6983

yea thats what i was thinkin guys........didnt think tint would block it......
Old 08-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #27
bjensen83

So with this blue wire thing, can anyone post pics of how to do this? I think i've seen the wire labeled "ant." but had no clue what to do with it.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:09 AM   #28
bigd6983

this wires going to be coming off the wire adapter you bought for your car, its a light blue color..........your going to connect that to your remote turn on wire, the same one you would use for your amps, or anything that is switched on once you turn the key on.......

hooking it up to the remote wire just seemed easiest for me......

i forgot to hook up my rj-45 cable for my sound for my ps2 so when i get time i will take pictures and show you guys how messy it is behind my head unit lol, and show you the wire.........
Old 09-18-2004, 04:33 PM   #29
bjensen83

I paid someone to install it for me. Interestingly, I took out my head unit to check that stuff out, when i lift up all the wires and jam it back some, i get pretty good reception, then while i'm driving after a while, it turns to static. a picture would really help
Old 09-21-2004, 01:45 PM   #30
snake_eyes2

Hmmm I put my HU in myself and didn't connect either the power ant lead or the amp lead (Amp is in waiting) but the point is that I haveno problem with radio either am or fm. And there is no reason that tint should be blocking the radio signal, unless it is lead! pimpin ain't easy
Old 10-03-2004, 03:54 PM   #31
bjensen83

hrm. so which two wires do i connect? i don't see what you guys are talking about.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #32
tenny

ya I am wondering about this too.... my wire harness didnt have a wire for powr antenna, it did have one for remote turn on for an amp though, which i hooked up the remote turn on from my wire harness too. should I hook the blue wire to that one?
Old 10-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #33
bigd6983

yes hook the wire coming from your car that antenna on it or ant to that same wire you use for your amp turn on or antenna turn on off your head unit......
Old 10-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #34
tenny

no what i mean is that my wiring harness didnt have a power antenna wire, the radio did though.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:16 PM   #35
AleroDownSouthGirl

I always had that problem with my stock stereo and figured if I put in a aftermarket w/a antenna adapter that it work.....yeah right. Still caught just ONE FM station, and no AM. So, I just listen to CD's, until I can get my friend to fix the wiring for me to see if it will work.

Brought it to GM to fix. Guy said another Alero got brought in for same problem and it's usually a loose wire connection by the rear glass.....hmmm.

Screw it.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #36
Oldz Alero

Alright sorry guys for bringing up an old thread but I just put in my headunit and my reception sucks. When i turn on the rear defroster i get all static on most stations and even when its off my reception still isn't good. The thing is, is that it did the same thing with the factory deck.

I see the blue wire you are talking about coming out of the aftermarket headunit. I am using the relocation harness from scoshe (sp?) my factory deck is in the trunk. My dad is a service manager and pulled up all the wiring stuff for the car, but im still not seeing which wire i need to connect the headunit wire too. Is the wire in the relocation harness or in the factory wiring harness?

Thanks for the help, I just want to get this hooked up once and for all.

Joe
Old 02-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #37
mikegett
GL Member

I think it varies on the harness and year of the car. some cars are blue and some are green. My harness (purchased from circuit city) didn't have a antenna turn on. However, the cars radio wiring had a green wire that goes back to the booster. The booster and deefog are in the same unit. Since the new harness doesn't have a turn on for the antenna, you will need to jumper the amp turn on to the booster. If you have distortion then the booster is probably bad.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:19 PM   #38
Oldz Alero

Yeah i think you're right about the wire being green for my 2001. Thats what the wiring harness sheets my dad printed out said. The thing is the relocation harness doesn't list what each wire does and i tried to put the blue antenna wire coming out of the aftermarket deck to the green wire in the factory harness and it didn't help, in fact it made it so that the front speakers and tweeters didn't work (they are all plugged into the factory harness, whereas my 6x9's aren't)

Thanks i'll have to keep trying some stuff

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated

I don't know if it'll help but my car is a 2001 and it has the amp in the trunk. I have the sun and sound package.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #39
mikegett
GL Member

If you are want to be possitive of the correct wire, then trace it from the rear to the HU. The booster box is on the rear passenger side of the back window. You have to remove the plastic facia. You will notice that the antenna and defogger go into one box. Coming out of the box is two wires. One green for the antenna turn on and one black for the defogger. It would be possible to run the 12 volt ignition off of your amp to the defogger as well. I am concerned with your amplifiers condition. If you had static with your old radio then it is probably bad. The box shares a ground someplace (probably off of your antenna cable) and that could be the cause. Try unplugging the window from the antenna. See if the static goes away.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #40
Oldz Alero

I think you might be right, mikegett. Yeah i did see the box when i was putting in the 6x9's. At that point though i just thought the bad reception was from my factory headunit, so i never really paid attention to it. I'll give that a shot tomorrow, see how it goes.

Thanks

Off topic: I just put in the cd/mp3 reciever about a week ago, I highly recommend one to anyone looking to get a new headunit, because it usually doesn't cost that much more. I don't even know why i am trying to fix the radio. I love having that many songs on a disc.