Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
Justy311
GL Member

Justy311 is an unknown quantity at this point
I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but since you can't search for less than three letters, I can't search CB.

Anyway, Since my old CB was stolen and now I have to buy another, I am wondering if anyone has one in their car, and if so what kind, do they like it, and where did they install it. I am trying to think of another spot.

If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. Even to say that CBs are crap, believe me, driving 78 miles back and forth to school, its nice to have one and hear when the accidents and police speed traps. Thanks a bunch

Justin

www.justinspolicecollection.com
Justy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
first of all a CB in an alero????

second of all, who the F*CK steals a damn CB radio. comeon!

i'd say under the seat if you really want one....brand, they're all the same to me
Old 06-14-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
cobra621

I agree, CB's are great to find out where the police are. They may be outdated, but they are still very useful! They have saved me tickets! I don't have one in my alero, but my other vehicles. I don't know about mounting it in the alero, because of space. How about a portable/handheld one? May not have the distance, but will still give you good info. Just a suggestion
Old 06-14-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

cutelilcntrygrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Nothing wrong with having a cb if you're going on long trips and wanna know where all the bears are.. lol.. I had one when I was traveling a lot for my job. The one I had was a Cobra something.. can't remember the exact model number but it was pretty good.

http://www.myspace.com/smr612
cutelilcntrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
Travis99Alero

i dont have a brand suggestion, but u should put a huge antenna on your car so u get killer reception.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:33 PM   #6
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
Quote:
Originally posted by Travis99Alero@Jun 14 2005, 10:02 PM
i dont have a brand suggestion, but u should put a huge antenna on your car so u get killer reception.

make sure it's one of those lighted ones too so you can show it off to everyone at night too!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:39 PM   #7
snake_eyes2

sorry....

I have to say that the look would be complete with two, 6' lit antennas comming outta the front fenders.

YAH
Old 06-15-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

cutelilcntrygrl is an unknown quantity at this point
How about you all get back on topic. If you have something useful, then post it. If you don't, then just go on to another thread.

http://www.myspace.com/smr612
cutelilcntrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
Travis99Alero

we're giving him suggestions on an antenna...calm down.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
Justy311
GL Member

Travis99Alero, The huge "whip" made me laugh, a buddy of mine has an old crown vic cop car and has a "whip", you can hear him turn corners. I appreciate the advice from all. I had it mounted on the side of the dash near the pass. seat, but got in the way of the seat.

You're right sound_xtreme who the f- steals that. They maybe got 20 bucks, maybe. Oh well, probably sold for drug money. Now

I am thinking in that storage spot near the rear view mirror, maybe take it off and mount one there, although I read that it can only be broken off, hrm. I don't know, have to see if the insurance compay will pay me for the CB first.

I mainly used it for driving back and fourth to school, and I had a PA on it, so I would talk to people on the highway and people walking. It was fun and I miss it, but crap happens. Thanks for all the feedback. Even the one about the light...which would like like crap. :-).

On size wise, you can get them from huge to tiny, I am thinking about a smaller one but who knows... $$$ is the issue, and since the theives cut my antenna wire, I got to get another antenna, and they cost $$ too. Thanks again

Justin

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:35 PM   #11
freakout
V.I.P. Member

freakout is an unknown quantity at this point
My CB was stolen may 24 weekend. Was in my transport inside my company's shop. Was a Cobra 29 LTD with 50 watt output, echo w/reverb, adjustable deadkey, and talkback. $200 US in modifications. But you want something small that isn't ugly on the eyes in an alero, I recomend a cobra 19 I think, it is smaller than a tape deck . Somewhere around 40-60 US I think. Try a truck stop. I am ordering my replacement from Texas next week $335 US with shipping not including a mic. Nothing worse than a thief.

What a great damn day, I can walk!
freakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
and if it's smaller than a tape deck, how about installing in the cubby hole under the radio. If not, I'd use a large spot of velcro and mount it to the side of the console...no holes drilled, and adhesive will remove with googone or other adhesive remover. Best brands I've heard of are from Cobra and Motorola.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:30 PM   #13
Justy311
GL Member

Wow, freakout, I thought the max allowed was 4 watts output. Must have been some monster mods on that thing, I never thought about the spot under the cd player. I might try and put i there, once everything else is put back to gether. Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming. Thanks

Old 06-17-2005, 05:22 PM   #14
freakout
V.I.P. Member

Maximum wattage allowed by the FCC is 6 watts. The Finals are from a Galaxy radio but the Galaxy is considered a HAM radio. The stock Cobra 29 is 4 watts and you can tune it to 6. If you are looking for a radio to pump up but want to stay with a small case try a Cobra 25, you can get it up 50 watts as well. Try this website it's were I am ordering mine. http://www.claysradioshop.com/ For an antenna on the car a K40 magnet mount is good. Make sure to tune the antenna, makes all the difference. You don't need 2 antennas, they interfere with each other, and are hard to tune. On the truck I only hook up one and I use the other for radio and tv.

Edited: You were right about 4 watts being legal. I've got to quit getting on here when I come home from work really tired

Old 06-17-2005, 08:12 PM   #15
Justy311
GL Member

Sweet, thanks freakout, how do I go about modding one and how do I tune? I guess I am a noob at this.

I just enjoyed playing with it and talking with truck drivers, I load asphault at a refinery in MN over the summer, so I see a lot of them on a daily basis, it's been fun and I enjoy their humor..kind of weird. Thanks again. Let me know

Overall, it will cost me $3,000.00 plus/minus to get it all fixed after the s.o.b's broke into it. Everyone should purchase an alarm, before its too late. :-(

Old 06-17-2005, 08:15 PM   #16
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, alarms make you feel better till they steal that from ya also.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:17 PM   #17
forbidden
Graphix GOD

forbidden is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to forbidden Send a message via Yahoo to forbidden
Well I drive a Dump Truck so I have to have one in there... I have a Galaxy 99.. It is a monster. But when you need to talk or hear it helps. I bought mine from a friend for $200 but new i think they are around $400-500USD. But if you want the best you got to pay..
forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #18
freakout
V.I.P. Member

Sorry but I'm not familar with Minnisota. Jim's CB Shop at Lake Station, Indiana (I-80/90 exit 16 going west exit 15B going east in the Flying J) put in my connex board (echo w/reverb), he does the high watt tune as well. To tune you need an SWR meter (most radios have them built in). You check the SWR on channel 1 and 40. This is the part I screw up if it's higher on 1 and lower on 40 the antenna needs to be shortened or lengthened, I can never remeber. Check at the truck stops for a Cb Shop. You need to take the radio to someone to get it tuned. To do it right they put the radio on a scope to set the modulation, frequency, and power. This makes sure you get good clean sound. I'd get them to tune the antenna if it has to be cut you want it right the first time, if you go to short you can't lengthen it. If you go big power get a good noise cancelling mic I like Astatic 636L or Roadking 56. If your antenna is matched and a standard peak and tune on the radio you'll be surprized how well it works. I like the power cause on nice days I can talk across Lake Ontario, and up north in the hills and valleys the power is nice.

Edit: Can't reliably talk across Lake Ontario just shooting skip and every once and awhile someone comes back!!

Old 06-17-2005, 11:28 PM   #19
freakout
V.I.P. Member

Galaxy 99 nice radio, just to many damn buttons. Don't need all the extra channels. Had a Galaxy few years ago, hit a bump hit the wrong button took days to figured out what I did.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #20
freakout
V.I.P. Member

I ordered this http://www.claysradioshop.com/Connex...20ast636-b.htm on Thursday from Clay's Radio Shop http://www.claysradioshop.com/ . It's a Connex 3300-HP w/ Confederate Flag Faceplate and Astatic 636L mic. Also had them pump it up and a couple of other things.