Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 09-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
jiffy

This is a tangent on my thread in common q's
http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=14607

I have an '03 Alero with the stock alternator (105 amperes)
A Profile AP1040 Amp
Infinity 6000cs components
Infinity 1030w sub
8 gauge kit

Problem is, occasionally while braking, turning, or rolling down windows, the sound cuts out for a second to a few seconds. My headlights also dim durring this, even if the music isn't cranked up.

I had my battery and alternator checked at autozone, everything checked out fine. The amp is grounded 3 feet from the amp on the backseat bolts.

Someone please help...Its embarrassing to take someone for a ride and to have the speakers cut out at almost every red light. Car is under extended warranty and I don't want to do the big 3, and possibly void a warranty.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:25 AM   #2
kampfer422

Get a better battery. Thats the first thing i do regardless of a system or not. I use a Red Top for the starter. That should fix it. I used a red top before on my galant (80 amp alty) and was running a total of 1300watts, real power, not max, and didn't have a problem. Also what size is the ground wire. 8gauge or larger preferably.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
jiffy

Ground is 8 gauge as well.

I'm wondering if upgrading to 6 or 4 would help any...
Old 09-25-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Concidering the size and configuration of you amp, upgrading to four or six gauge will not help. The most amperage you will most likely be running is 30 even at a peak. 8 guauge should max out around 60 amps at a 13 foot run. I would do like suggested in the other post and double check your wires. It sounds like you have a mulitmeter. Place it on your power wire going to your amp. Ensure that your voltage is holding steady at 12 when the music fades. If not, your battery or altenator may still be the issue. If it does hold 12 volts then they are deffinately not the problem. You may have a problem with the power or ground connection. Do a ohm test on the power and ground lines of your amp. This is the symbol that looks like a horseshoe. You want the least amount of resistance (lowest ohm number) possible. Since your power line is longer, it should have a higher resistance. If your ground resistance is higher than the power then reground to another location or larger post. I believe you had a LOC and OEM HU. Is this true? Please list what components you have in the car. Electrical issues can include a large number of variables.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
jiffy

Components:
Stock HU
Line Out Converters at amp (components on aftermarket LOC, sub on stock LOC)
It doesn't matter which LOC I am using for this cutout to happen).
Profile AP1040 Amp
Infinity 6000cs components
Infinity 1030w sub

OK, I checked voltage at the battery and at the amp while holding all the window switches down and the music crapped out, and both the battery and the amp dropped a little voltage.

I also did an ohm continuity test, a picture of the power wire testing is below. The ground wire tested at 0 ohms.

Also, in the additional picture, do you think that excess power wire is any issue? (ie. possibly it creates uneeded resistance)