Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 06-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Fi-Alero
GL Member

Fi-Alero is on a distinguished road
A few quick questions

Well, my Alero goes into the shop tomorrow afternoon for paint, it will look something like this:

I do have a few questions:
1. I have to take the door handles on the outside off. I already have the door panels off for all four doors, I'm just not sure how to take the handles off for the outside. How do I go about doing this?

2. My interior is the brown/lightbrown interior. Do you think this interior will look right with this paintjob? Or do i need to paint the interior (I already have interior pieces stripped out.)

3. If I have to paint the interior, ALOT will have to be changed. Does anyone have any tutorials on changing the color of the door panels? This seems like the biggest challenge.

Any other tips are appreciated
Fi-Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
you'll need to use vinyl dye, for #3. paint is only temporary. and the interior will probably look ok, but your gonna want to change it, just because you've put that much work into exterior, and nothing interior. (will look outta place, at least to yourself)

could make new fiberglass doors/dash. that might work well. if not, your also probably better off getting new vinyl in the color you want and rewrapping them.

..and why would you want/need to take the door handles off?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks cool.

Make the interior silver/gray/black
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
^^sliver and black sounds good...im gonna steal that idea
Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
Fi-Alero
GL Member

Thanks for the help guys.

My plan was to paint the dash and all of the other plastic pieces silver. But i figured that if I painted those silver, the doors and seats would look out of place?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
if your doing all that paint work why are you just doing the door handles?? why not strip the whole car down and do it right,, so ya dont have tape lines, or a chance of paint flaking off,
inside you will see a what almost looks like a clamp, in front of it is a 10mm nut, drivers side remove the rods, you will see the lock cylinder, and the handle rod, the handle rod look down at the latch assmebly it is cliped in, in the handle is a small clip holding the lock cylinder in, remove it
handle comes right out
my advice to you is to do it right, and remove everything off the car
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
^^ agreed unfortunately that a very expensive way to go. windshield window, trims, RR will cost about $500.00 on top of the paint job. Assuming the idiot doing the front windshield do crack the molding.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Fi-Alero
GL Member

Everything will be removed.
Thanks bdyman for the howto, I got them out today

My car is now in the shop and I have to decide the color I am going to paint it. I am really not sure how my interior would look with the paintjob shown above. I am considering 2 toning it with the stock beige color and a orange color (the same orange as the Honda element or the plymouth prowler)

What do you guys think I should do?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Looks cool.

Make the interior silver/gray/black

^^^^^^^
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
SouthDakotAlero
GL Member

SouthDakotAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same stock interior colors as you and this is what I did. Flat black on top and I kept the beige color as is. You could do it this way and do a silver or orange on the bottom as well.

SEMS vinyl dye. Around $10 a can and I went through a couple of them.
SouthDakotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
Fi-Alero
GL Member

Making the interior silver/black/gray will get expensive quick. I'd have to change the seats, carpet, headliner, steering wheel, and numerous other things.

That looks good Dakota, but your alero still has the outside stock color, if I do mine blue and silver, it wouldn't match the seats or anything.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
dakota, how long have you had it, and hows the dye holding up? no running, or flaking?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #13
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
u will get no running if u clean the vinyl with some tsp (trisodium phosphate) u may have to do it a good couple of times to get the vinyl or pieces totally clean before painting them then put some applicator on then some duplicolor vinyl paint.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #14
SouthDakotAlero
GL Member

SouthDakotAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
dakota, how long have you had it, and hows the dye holding up? no running, or flaking?

I think its been almost three years and it looks exactly like the day I did it. It doesn't run at all and there is no flaking because it absorbs into the vinyl. I even sprayed it when it was below freezing and it still came out perfect lol.
SouthDakotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote