Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Here we go again

Alright, this is for my friends 02 3400 alero. It doesn't have the best history for upkeep with the provious owner but he is trying to get it going. The other day he starting haveing really bad misfires, so, replaced spark plugs and wires, it also needed a fule filter change so we did and recently had an oil change. Its hardly able to run, with the peddle hammered it accelerates at granny speed, and has to let off completely then try going again for it to shift. And it doesn't like shifting at all right now, it's extremely hard and jerky. But once he got going, the car studders, jerks, and will not reach speeds above 40mph, ya, we hardly got going at all. Also, he is still having the starting problem that I think is related, it's like then engin starts a little, dies, then sputters to life every time, and it's just been getting worse recently, though I'm sure the cold isn't helping. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?I I have no idea what to tell him is so bad other then "your f@!ked", this is his only way of transportation so the sooner we could get help the better, I just told him to drive as little and as carfule as possible for now..
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
sounds like the cats possibly getting plugged. pull out the front o2 sensor and take her for a quick short sping. see if you get your power back. thats a quick easy way to tell.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
I second that too much misfires and the cat is gone....

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
pull out the front o2 sensor.

And unplug it... don't leave it there hanging that way the car will roll in limp mode instead of seeing insanely lean mixture and adding fuel for nothing

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

That makes sense. We'll give it a shot this afternoon and I'll get back to ya on here. Thanks or the help! And if that is it what aftermarket performance cat would you recamend him to put in?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Magnaflow 23520. It's a direct replacement cat. All you need to do is find the correct gaskets for each side and you're good to go.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

ok, I had him drop by a second ago and I hopped under his car... I might just be dumb but I cant get anything to move under there. his entire exhaust system is so rusted it... ya. I couldnt get the sensor out, but while he was here i noticed something a bit weird, it ran fine at idle, neutral, and reverse, it also still reves like a champ, wouldnt be able to guess there was anything wrong with it, the problem is only when in drive, so now, im thinking its a trans issue.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
Its hardly able to run, with the peddle hammered it accelerates at granny speed, and has to let off completely then try going again for it to shift. And it doesn't like shifting at all right now, it's extremely hard and jerky. But once he got going, the car studders, jerks, and will not reach speeds above 40mph, ya, we hardly got going at all

couple questions here...hardly able to run howso?

"with peddle hammered it accelerates at granny speed" - ok so maybe your having trans issues and its sticking in high gear

"will not reach speeds above 40mph" -well wait.. if its stuck in high gear why are you only going 40? hell i could do 40 in secound but damn it would be winding.

something else i wnated to add maybe as an aid.. pull the coil packs... you can get to the pre cat o2 sensor from up above the engine.

before you do whats said above... humor me and unplug the MAF sensor. try and start it. might stall once or twice. keep it running and should smooth out. still having said issues?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

i tried the maf sensor, it still ran like crap. and i mean by it wont go, you HAVE to press on the gas EXTREMELY hard for it to go at all, and when it does it jerky, shitty, uneven acceleration, for it to go, you have to let completely off the gas, then when you try going again it jerks you into the next gear, we finally got to 40 out on my country road and it finally shifted down to 3rd but its runny so shitty it literally doesn't have any more, the needle just stops climbing after we hit 40.. so we tried easing up and staying in 4th, even worse results. no, the trans is not stuck in high gears, this i am 100% certain of. and coil packs? O.o and where is the o2 sensor I can to from above the engine? I dont know his engine as well
Old 12-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

pm
Old 12-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Yup its tranns, low dark fluid with a bit of metal shavings. Beautiful!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
two things: trans filter may be clogged up and as speed increases, it gets more starved of fluid. I'd say change tranny fluid even if its not the problem.

two: I still would suspect the catalytic converter. My friend's cavalier revved fine and would idle all day long with no issues but when in drive, under a load it was useless.

at this point, I say its a process of elimination. 1. change the transmission fluid and 2. cut out the cat and put in a test pipe and see what happens.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

all i was say about the coils is if u unbolt them and moem out of the way then u can easily reach behind the engine wjily laying across it to get to the upper 02 sensor.