Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
Leaking gasoline

Hi everybody, more of looking for some advice rather than help finding a problem. So I noticed a smell of fuel while driving home today, also my car was burning more gas than usual. I got home and noticed a small puddle of gas under the driver's side of the car. So I checked with a flashlight and found my rusted fuel line to be dripping every 15 seconds or so. Put a bucket under it for now. The question I have is what exactly part I need to buy/replace tomorrow? Also would I be fine driving it 18 kms to work, to fix it tomorrow? The way I understand it is that all the gas from the line will leak out and stop right? The gas from the tank wont leak, unless the pump is running? Sorry for all the dumb questions, I work in a tire shop, and dont know much more than basic mechanics lol.
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
I can tell u this: without seeing all the lines its hard to tell u what u need or how long it will last u. If u splice the line then u will need two unions and bulk line. Chances are good if its rusty in one place its rusty in more. Look hard. It may be worth Ur time to replace the line from fuel tank to engine. Also, if Ur fuel lines or leaking, how's the brake lines?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I would watch for anybody throwing cigrette butts out the window

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
boom!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
I can tell u this: without seeing all the lines its hard to tell u what u need or how long it will last u. If u splice the line then u will need two unions and bulk line. Chances are good if its rusty in one place its rusty in more. Look hard. It may be worth Ur time to replace the line from fuel tank to engine. Also, if Ur fuel lines or leaking, how's the brake lines?

Have to agree.. under drivers side is usually where fuel filters are.. is it possible it may be running along the line and not just be from rust?
It Shouldn't leak much when not under pressure... if you have a piece of fuel line you can split(cut) and clamp over the damaged section this may slow your leak till you can get it fixed...

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
It's probably too late now, but I wouldn't drive the car at all in this condition unless it's going straight to a repair shop. All it will take is fuel splashing on a surface hot enough to ignite it or any kind of spark and your car will go up in flames.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK03GXS View Post
Have to agree.. under drivers side is usually where fuel filters are.. is it possible it may be running along the line and not just be from rust?
It Shouldn't leak much when not under pressure... if you have a piece of fuel line you can split(cut) and clamp over the damaged section this may slow your leak till you can get it fixed...

Alero fuel filter is behind the fuel tank
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
Just to update in case I can help others in the future, the problem is fixed. I drove it to work today, slowly and carefully haha. As soon as I got to work I put it on the hoist and located the leak to be on the middle fuel line. So I cut a chunk of it out and put a rubber hose over it with two clamps on each end. So far so good
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotAlero View Post
Just to update in case I can help others in the future, the problem is fixed. I drove it to work today, slowly and carefully haha. As soon as I got to work I put it on the hoist and located the leak to be on the middle fuel line. So I cut a chunk of it out and put a rubber hose over it with two clamps on each end. So far so good

How did the rest of the line look? I would worry about brake lines and the rest of the fuel system now.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I hope the rubber hose is a high psi rated one... i had a leak in the van and everytime i started it it blew off from the initial pressure... if you can get your hands on actual metal line it would be best...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote