Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
bad inner tie rods?

just did the 9/3 and 12/6 oclock tests on the wheels... no play at 12/6 but at 9/3 there is a fair amount. what i'm trying to figure out is if it's the inner or the outer tie rods... the outers don't look like they have alot of play but then again i could be wrong, so here's some vids (sorry for crappy quality, not sure why).. tell me what you think

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3035788...in/photostream

mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake View Post
just did the 9/3 and 12/6 oclock tests on the wheels... no play at 12/6 but at 9/3 there is a fair amount. what i'm trying to figure out is if it's the inner or the outer tie rods... the outers don't look like they have alot of play but then again i could be wrong, so here's some vids (sorry for crappy quality, not sure why).. tell me what you think

Just have someone shake the wheel. Hold your hand on the outer tie rod as the wheel is being shook. Do the same with the inner, you should be able to feel the play in whichever one is bad.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
How many miles are on these parts?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
not sure if they're stock or not... the look old enough to be though xD. the car has 214k miles now.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
At 214K miles if they are originals I would replace all of them (meaning both inner and outer tie rod ends on both sides).
Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
mastershake
GL Member

what's weird is the tires haven't been showing unusual wear at all... the alignment is seriously perfect. i can drive down the road for a mile without touching the steering wheel. bumps and potholes don't phase the car (even with the struts being shot). so it stumps me that the wheels have so much play in them. also the steering is very tight. NO play in the steering wheel.

Last edited by mastershake : 09-05-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
what's weird is the tires haven't been showing unusual wear at all... the alignment is seriously perfect. i can drive down the road for a mile without touching the steering wheel. bumps and potholes don't phase the car (even with the struts being shot). so it stumps me that the wheels have so much play in them. also the steering is very tight. NO play in the steering wheel.

How does the car ride on the highway? If you are getting vibrations that's what will make it obvious that they are bad. The car can still ride fine in urban or suburban driving with bad tie rid ends.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
mastershake
GL Member

rides perfect on the highway too. how hard are you supposed to be shaking the wheels when doing the test?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

From what you describe, I really don't think you have a problem.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
rides perfect on the highway too. how hard are you supposed to be shaking the wheels when doing the test?

not hard at all. barely any movment becuase whats the slack is taken up (if there is any) then all yoru doing is pushing the rack back and forth and thats useless.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
mastershake
GL Member

lol, yeah i was shaking them fairly hard... ok good so no 200 dollars for new tie rods