Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 05-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
thermostat

anyone do it before on the 2.4L without touching the waterpump? or is it just too much of a PIA without touching it and ill just dive in and replace the waterpump while im there
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I've done it like 3 times already. You touch 3 bolts/nuts. Two at the thermostat, and one on the side of the engine where the lower pipe is supported. Easy. Climb on top of your engine bay to reach down and get to it.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Caboose73
GX Member

Caboose73 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Caboose73
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
I've done it like 3 times already. You touch 3 bolts/nuts. Two at the thermostat, and one on the side of the engine where the lower pipe is supported. Easy. Climb on top of your engine bay to reach down and get to it.

X2 i just did it last week its not that hard. You can do it like Ion said or you can take off your passenger side tire and reach in that way.
Caboose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
robalero
GLS member

well I was gonna use the hoist but if its just that plain and simple I know what im doing after work tomorrow
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
no hoist needed dude its easy as pie
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
robalero
GLS member

yea ill do it on the floor. im just use to the upper rad hose being the spot for the t-stat
Old 05-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
nah these have a little metal housing two bolts and it drops. and the one that holds the metal pipe to the block
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
robalero
GLS member

sounds great. thanks guys made me worry a lot less over the dam thing. she likes to get slightly warm in idle then the fans kick on and it drops in heat ( no coolant smell ) so I figured at 240k km's its time to replace that t-stat
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i agree. mine went out at 164,xxx miles.. but it wouldnt show heat it just showed it was cold and the fans ran 24/7...

well it was either my temp sensor or t-stat but they were right next to eachother so i just replaced both and problem solved.

also good luck hope everything goes easy!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
tomekbrek
GX Member

tomekbrek is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tomekbrek
I replaced thermostat couple days ego, and firstly was ok, temp around half on scale (88-93*C) but two days ego temp raised up to 108*C (220F) and still is there, i have obd tester, and temp sensor shows 104-108*C

New thermostat could be damaged? or ... maybe is air-bubble somewhere, is any instruction how should i "vent" cooling circuit ?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
let it idle and get warmed up with the cap off and squeeze the big hose(s) and such a bit

after all my coolant issues and experience over the years on this engine, it should be self bleeding, i've never had to do anything more than fill it up and run the engine and it's fine from day one.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
tomekbrek
GX Member

i did it as you wrote, but when thermostat is opened coolant level is higher and throws it from reservoir
Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

then you have too much coolant if it's coming out at idle

real question is why did you replace the thermostat? have issues like this before? maybe the thermostat wasn't the problem

the only time i've had air in the coolant lines that caused overheating and blowing coolant out the reservoir/hoses was head gasket leaks.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
tomekbrek
GX Member

I swapped on 2.4 (before 3.4) and i changed everything, oils, filters, gaskets (w/out head) and thermostat - everything new. But in Poland sometimes we have parts made in china - no-names, and thermostat is no-name company