Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I think I broke a window clip!

I rolled down the right rear window and when I went to roll it up, I heard something break. I can push the window back up with my hands, and it stays up, but I put some tape on it. When I use the switch, it's trying to work.

Would I be OK assuming it's a window clip and buying the parts or should I take it apart first to determine exactly what's wrong?

Can the parts be bought locally or is this a mail order part (or so expensive locally that I wouldn't want it)?

Do these things come in pairs or do I buy them one at a time?

I see different types of replacement window clips, does one work better than the other?

Some ebay auctions say that it's for a particular side, some say one fits all places???

OR is it this one (Autozone calls this a "window guide":

Or do I need this set:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...dow#fragment-3

BTW, I hate Dorman, but given how crappy the OEM part is this could be an improvement.

Then there is the glue I should use??? Do I have to buy a big tube of window weld? That stuff is expensive and I only need a little bit of it Will JB Weld work?

Another thing, I don't think that window has been used even 10 times. The car only has 34K miles on it. Is that a record for a broken window part here?

If I can buy the stuff locally, I assume that I can do this after work?

From what I have read elsewhere, I heat gun should make removing the broken clips easy enough. Correct?

Last edited by zzyzzx : 07-17-2012 at 09:28 AM.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Just found this:
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
zzyzzx
GLS member

Crap! It's not the window clip. It's the other plastic piece that holds in the end of the (for lack of a better term) bicycle cable.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Do they even make replacment guides for the rear windows?
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Ill try to remember to look it up for you tomorrow at work. If I find it Ill post you a part number...
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
zzyzzx
GLS member

I bought Dorman 45348, but clearly it's the wrong part and now way will it work. I'm going to try to reassemble what I can and use a piece of wood to hold the window up until I can get the right part.

This is definitely not the right part!!!!

I do not see how this clip can help at all, It does not fit into the track. It does not look like anything that is in there now.

I guess Dorman strikes again!

Last edited by zzyzzx : 07-18-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

The part that is bad is where the plastic clip hold in the "knot" in the regulator cable. And I have already broken it off so that I can take it apart and maybe see how this stupid thing is supposed to fit, but it doesn't.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

The regulator in question looks like this:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...dow#fragment-1

Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

Rant: The factory service manual doesn't tell you how to remove a rear window regulator!

I now have a piece of a 2" x 4" wedged in there and held in by 4 tie bands to keep the window up. At least this way I can drive the car and not be concerned about the window falling down again!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
zzyzzx
GLS member

ACDELCO Part # 22683776 $106.79 + shipping from Rock Auto

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/get...95-0&width=450

Or should I get
VARIOUS MFR Part # GM1551104 {#22730702} $54.79 + shipping
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1024754

Or on Amazon:
ACDelco 22730702 Oldsmobile/Pontiac Rear Passenger Side Window Regulator Assembly, w/Motor
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-227307...ype=automotive
$81.13 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Replacem...ndow+regulator
Power Replacement Rear Passenger Side Window Regulator
Sale: $61.44

or eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alero-Grand-...b2119a&vxp=mtr
$52.25
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
Do they even make replacment guides for the rear windows?

According to Dorman, yes, but reality suggests otherwise. After reviewing various pics, I think the answer is no.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 07-18-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
zzyzzx
GLS member

This person here (shultze)had the exact same problem and also could not figure out how to use the Dorman part
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=142016
Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
According to Dorman, yes, but reality suggests otherwise. After reviewing various pics, I think the answer is no.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the whole regulator has to replaced. I don't think you could get the guides out or in for that matter with out breaking them.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure the whole regulator has to replaced. I don't think you could get the guides out or in for that matter with out breaking them.

That is correct and I do have a new window regulator on order.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
zzyzzx
GLS member

OK, this thing is held in by 6 bolts. 3 brass colored ones and 3 brownish green ones that are longer than the brass colored ones. I assume that the shorter ones hold in the regulator part and the longer ones hold in the motor mount?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Pretty sure your right. I haven't had the rear regulator out in a long time.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
zzyzzx
GLS member

I just put it in. Yes, the shorter bolts go into the regulator part and the longer ones hold in the motor mount. I left the panel off for now because I want to drive the car and make sure it doesn't rattle before I put the panel back on.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #18
zzyzzx
GLS member

The left rear window regulator broke on Sunday (Aug 12th), or about 3 weeks after the rear right did.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #19
zzyzzx
GLS member

OK, I now have a definite answer on the short vs long bolts. You use some on each side. The regulator uses 2 short bolts and one long bolt. The motor uses 2 long bolts one one short bolt. The odd ones are the ones with the red arrows pointing towards them in this pic:

I.E. - The brownish-green looking bolts are the long bolts.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
zzyzzx
GLS member

The offending broken window regulator plastic piece looks like this: